Thread: Taking Back What is Mine

12/24/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 10 hours

Workout - Light Chest & Triceps
    *BB Bench: 10x45, 8x95, 6x135, 6x155, 6x175
    *Close grip bench: 10x95, 10x115, 8x125
    *Cables: 2 sets of 8 reps tricep work

Really all I wanted to do today was continue the semi-deloading workouts with low volume. In particular I was really focusing on my BB bench form. Really paying attention to pulling in my shoulder blades helped a lot. I'm hoping that the key to fixing this problem is just being more stringent with my form.

Day after Christmas or the 27th will be a max effort back day! Freaking pumped about it to!
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer

From the server reset I lost 2 days of the journal which is a shame. ME Chest day had some PR lifts but I already broke them so no biggie.

12/27/07 - Back Max Effort
    12/29/07 - Chest Max Effort
    5'11" 204 lbs

12/30/07

Workout - Legs & Bicep
    *Squats: 8x135, 6x185, 6x225, 4x255
    *Hammer Squats: 6x270, 4x360
    *Leg Curls: 8x150, 7x170 (!PR)**
    *Leg Extension: 6x250
    *Calves: 10x135, 8x180, 8x180
    *Standing Preacher Curl: 6x65, 5x95, 4x95
    *Neutral DB Curl: 5x40's

Another great day! The squats were amazing. No question about depth on those they were at worst parallel, though I'm almost certain they were ATF.

**Likewise leg Curls were great. I'll put this as PR because unlike the other times I've done this there was no upper body movement and I killed 'em.
    Last edited by TopCat; 01-04-2008 at 11:37 AM.
    5'11" 204 lbs

1/02/08

Basics
    *Weight: 196

Workout - Back
    *Deadlifts: 8x135, 6x185, 4x225, 3x275, 8x315, 6x335
    *Rack Pulls: 2x405, 2x455, 1x475**
    *Pull-ups: 7xBW
    *Pull- downs: 7x175, 5x190
    *BB Rows: 7x135, 4x155
    *Hammer Strength Rows: 4x230
    *Standing Preacher Curls: 6x75, 5x95
    *Neutral DB Curls: 5x40's

Workout felt amazing. By the end I was definitely getting very tired as I really pushed myself on the DL and RP. I was reallllly happy with the deadlifts although the hardest part for me is WITHOUT a doubt the first inch.

**I had to use straps for the last set... and I was not using them correctly I don't think. It had been a year since I last used them and I had gloves on so my grip just sucked. Next time ill ditch the gloves and wrap the straps the other way.
    5'11" 204 lbs

1/03/08

Basics
    *Weight: 197

Workout - Chest
    *DB Bench: 8x45's, 6x55's, 4x75's, 5x85's, 5x95's (!PR +5lbs)
    *DB Military: 6x55's, 6x60's, 0x70's
    *Hammer Incline: 6x200, 5x220, 4x230 (!PR)
    *Hammer Bench: 4x320

No direct tricep work because I plan on hitting them on my leg day Saturday. The PRs are over the ones I lost from a couple days ago. Either way another strong day, was feeling weak at the 85's and almost didn't push myself. The reps were very hard and I really struggled, barely keeping form. DB Military miss on the 70's was a shame. Could of got help getting them up and got a couple reps.
    5'11" 204 lbs

1/4/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 9-10 hours

No lifting today for me! 23!... whoopie. Hehe. At least I know I'll be getting a delicious meal from me Ma! Here is hoping I take the time little later to add some thoughts in.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Nice PRs, Topcat. You could probably do more with the DB bench if those DBs weren't so bad.

Happy Birthday man

Happy birthday!

Slim & bjhonso

Thanks for the best wishes. Was a pretty low key day, but thats how I like my birthdays. As far as the DB's go, ya the fat handles are very annoying, good for grip I suppose though.

1/05/08

Basics
    *Sleep: 10 hours (prob last day of this )
    *Weight: 197

Workout - Legs & Tricep
    *Squats: 8x135, 4x185, 5x225, 5x255, 4x275 **
    *Hammer Strength Squats: 5x360, 4x360
    *Leg Curls: 8x150, 6x170, 5x180 (!PR)
    *Leg Extension: 6x270 (!PR)
    *Seated Calves: 10x135, 8x180, 6x205 (!PR)
    *Close Grip Bench: 10x95, 10x115, 8x135, 8x155

**The squats were very close to a PR. I can't remember exactly what my old PR was because A. I never really went low low reps, B. I am willing to bet I didn't go to parallel because I lacked experience/knowledge a year ago. Last set was to parallel not ATF, rest were closer to ATF.

Otherwise another stellar workout. I've been thinking about it and honestly I think a lot of my gains has been due to the sleep and pre/during-workout nutrition. The sleep in particular because a lot of people, and by a lot I mean the majority do not get 10 hours every night (I have for at least the past month! ). I worry that my calves are not getting full motion on the seated part so I am going to look into doing standing with a barbell. I also plan on ditching the legs curls soon for SLDL's soon.

My Life
    Birthday dinner at me Ma's PIG-OUT time!!

School starts again Monday. Kind of sad because my sleeping habits are going to be hard to break now. But looking forward to it. School and work will make me much more productive and easy to diet on when I start.

My Current Plan
    This needs to be updated/stated. I plan on continue gaining weight until 205-210 then start a couple weeks of UD2. The idea would be to cut weight back down to 190. Hoping to get some calipers in a week to get a rough estimate of my BF. Other reasons that might delay/initiate my dieting would be to keep riding excellent strength gains or growing out of my pants ($$$).
    Last edited by TopCat; 01-05-2008 at 05:03 PM.
    5'11" 204 lbs

1/06/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 9 hours, kept waking up
    *Weight: 199 (with sweats like the 184s)

Workout - Back
    *Deadlifts: 8x135, 6x185, 4x225, 5x315, 2x365**
    *Rack Pulls: 4x455, 6x495 (!PR +20 lbs & +4 reps) (Just above knee starting)
    *Pull-ups: 6xBW
    *Pull-downs: 6x190, 4x205 (!PR Never pulled 205)
    *BB Rows: 6x135, 5x135
    *Standing Preacher Curls: 6x75, 5x95
    *DB Neutral Curls: 4x40's

HAHA! Between blasting my legs yesterday and the poor sleep I thought I was gonna be weak today... little did I know.

Man those rack pulls felt amazing . I ditched the gloves and used the straps properly. I wish I didn't have to use them though and going to start adding in grip exercises on leg days in hope of catching up. **The deadlifts were stopped because my grip gave out and I was not using straps. I pretty sure I once pulled 1x405... so getting close to PR.

I am still amazed about my strengths gains. I mean honestly... I repped 500 with the rack pulls... 4 months ago 2 vertebrae were fractured, the body is an amazing machine.

Also took some pictures other day with my cell, don't really have time to tonight but tomorrow hopefully i'll get them up. Nothing special just a reference, better than nothing.

My Life
    School tomorrow!! EKK! Oh well, its another weak quarter for me so shouldn't be that rough. After what I have been through and my recoveries (also preformed excellent academically last quarter) I am pumped in general about my life. Talk about confidence gains!
    Last edited by TopCat; 01-06-2008 at 09:51 PM.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    1/06/07

Basics
    Oh well, its another weak quarter for me so shouldn't be that rough. After what I have been through and my recoveries (also preformed excellent academically last quarter) I am pumped in general about my life. Talk about confidence gains!
    Yup

Just think of that practically guaranteed 6 figure salary job you will have waiting for you.

<---------- Chose the wrong major at UC.

As long as you enjoy what your into! You dig nutrition at least (I hope!)

Haven't seen you in a while man, how things been going? I assume you had a good Christmas and so far a good new year and hopefully got to see your lady. Gotta be psyched about the regular Rec hours again! You still going to be coming in late?

Oh ya I hear you have your own blender at work... FREAKING AMAZING IDEA!! I might end up buying a new one and taking my old cheapo one to work!
    5'11" 204 lbs

Well, I will put it this way....

The holidays have been about 4 weeks of good over-indulgement with the food.

I finished it all up today with a 7 dollar Chinese buffet in Indianapolis with my girlfriend.

Tomorrow is back to business for a looooong time.

Despite all that, I haven't really gained a pound (the wonders of calories in vs out)

I did actually bring a blender into work but I took it back a few weeks ago to give to the GF. She starts a somewhat modifed version of UD2 tomorrow.

But definitely give it a go.

I'm not too sure what time I will be in there. I only have 1 real class and am working a little bit, but I would expect evenings.

I will let ya know man
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 01-06-2008 at 10:36 PM.

1/07/08

Basics
    *Sleep: 7 hours, also took a 3 hour nap

Workout - Rest Day

My Life
    Classes were nothing today. So been getting some chores done including stuff in this journal. Posting some of the pictures and cleaned up the first post in the journal to update goals/stats.

Pictures

Hoping in the future to get a family member to take the pictures so they are not so crappy and I can actually do more traditional poses. Oh well I figured something is better than nothing. Feel free to critique and leave feedback on physique and if pictures are too large (first time uploading). Oh ya these are from couple days ago so I was sitting at 196. Not bad after putting on a bit of weight. I figure ill add another 10 lbs then lean back down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TopCat; 01-07-2008 at 03:50 PM.
    5'11" 204 lbs

1/08/08

Basics
    *Sleep: 8 hours, kept waking up again
    *Weight: 198 no sweats

Workout - Chest
    *BB Bench: 10x45, 6x135, 4x185, 4x205, 4x215
    *DB Military: 6x45's, 6x60's, 5x70's (!PR)
    *Hammerstrength Incline: 5x230, 4x230, 3x230
    *Hammerstrength Bench: 9x270
    *Dips: 8xBW

Honestly, I felt kind of so-so about the workout. The BB bench is definitely affected by my back and likewise agitates it to a slight degree. I was hoping to end on 4x225.. oh well close enough. On the other hand I was very happy with the rest of my lifts. It is important that I continue having good chest lifts as mine lags. I am hoping my back just needs to adapt to BB bench and that it will spurt here in a workout or two; I'll really be trying to watch my technique.

My Life
    I am SOOOO freaking tired. I really hope it is just low thyroid hormone... ill find out in a month if thats the case boy, I am tired. Hopefully tonight ill be knocked out.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Looking pretty good in your pictures, man. So have you sworn off motorcycles now?

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Looking pretty good in your pictures, man. So have you sworn off motorcycles now?
    Thanks. Honestly, I would love to ride again and every beautiful day makes me want to... but it is hard to justify the risks. I mean it just takes a little mistake, when I think about it, riding is not worth putting everything back on the table to give up.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Thanks. Honestly, I would love to ride again and every beautiful day makes me want to... but it is hard to justify the risks. I mean it just takes a little mistake, when I think about it, riding is not worth putting everything back on the table to give up.
    How did you wreck?

Was completely my fault and a silly mistake at that. Was turning down a hill while leaving my neighborhood and reached down to pull my pants over the top of my boot. Bike went off balance, rather than opening the throttle to compensate I straightened the bike up. Unfortunate for me there was no shoulder, just a curb into some brush.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Ouch. It's a good thing I don't ride a motorcycle, because if I did I would probably be dead. I've done some stupid stuff while driving.

1/10/08

Basics

*Sleep: 10 hours (made myself go to bed earlier)
    *Weight: 200
    *Diet: Crappy

Workout - Legs & Tris
    *Squats: 8x135, 5x185, 4x225, 5x275, 2x315 (went for the 3rd, was bad coming back up)
    *Leg Curls: 7x150, 7x170
    *Front Squats: 8x95, 8x135 (Started working on form, want to add these in)
    *Close Grip Bench: 8x95, 8x145, 6x165

Short workout. I had jack to eat and was really tired for some reason. Either way I forgot to do calves while practicing the hack squats. Oh well I suppose, I'm glad I just squatted 315. Reps were good at that. Might of been slightly above parallel, hard to tell honestly because I was keeping my head up. A second opinion would be nice sometime on a max squat, I personally hate it when people inflate their lifts with poor form.

My Life

Looks like school wise it is going to be another easy quarter. However, I plan on making sure it is another good time of recovering mentally and physically.

P.S. why do I feel like crap?!?! Hope I'm not catching something... time for sleep.
    5'11" 204 lbs

1/12/08

Basics
    *Weight: 199

Workout - Back
    *Deadlifts: 8x135, 4x185, 3x225, 2x275, 3x315, 2x365, 3x365 (Last set used straps)
    *Rack Pulls: 6x455, 5x495
    *Pull-Downs: 6x195, 5x205, 4x205, 6x175
    *HammerStrength Rows: 6x180, 5x230, 4x270
    *Standing Preacher Curls: 6x75, 4x95, 3x95

Couple notes... First I really don't want to use straps on my DL's but I might need to start it. The first set of 365 I almost rounded out my back because the weight was slipping and I was more concerned with that; using the straps helped my form. Other option is letting my grip catch up, which I might do.

Secondly my back starting hurting after todays workout. It the evil spot that is slightly to the right of my spine similar to when I first starting lifting hard. I am pretty sure the culprit is barbell bench. Regardless I really need to keep note of the pain in here and might either need to take it easy for a bit and/or cut out barbell bench

Otherwise another good workout! My back is progressively getting stronger, though I need to make sure I am keeping strict form. I feel the last reps of some lifts like pull downs are getting sloppy or half-assed.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Why not just make it an even 500 on the rack pulls? Lol, nice pulling man. I'll bet you scare all the lateral-raisers in the gym!

bjhonso
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    I'll bet you scare all the lateral-raisers in the gym!
    LOL! That kills me, I wondered if I was the only person that noticed. Freaking Rec has soooo many of them. I mean it is almost more common than curls. I love when 3 people are doing them and it looks like synchronized raising. Pretty much the reason I stopped doing them... that and I've got better things to do.

1/13/08

Baiscs

*Weight: 201! Haha!

Workout - Chest...
    *BB Bench: 10x45, 8x95, 4x145, 2x185, 3x225
    *DB Bench: 6x75's (Took them deep)
    *DB Military: 6x60's, 5x65's, 5x65's, 5x65's
    *DB Incline: 6x60's, 5x65's, 4x70's, 4x75's
    *Static Hold with 75's, ~30sec

NO BACK PAIN! Ha ha! I was fearing the worst going in today also. I figured I should at least try and train today since it had been 5 days since my last chest workout. Then surprise! No pain! But... I shouldn't be complaining

Solid workout overall. The DB Incline was a nice change, was able to take the reps deep and hit my chest some more. Very happy with the BB bench as well.
    5'11" 204 lbs