The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by MihalikPJ View Post
    Good day keep it up and hit those squats hard tomorrow. Sounds like you have a handle on this UD2 now. I ordered the book hopefully it comes soon.

You guys are killing me, sounds like a real riot at UC.

500 Schaedle, freaking beast, jeez you should make a journal. I bet you got some looks when you dropped that hahaha!! I bet Glenn loved that.

Keep raising hell, I'm looking forward to getting back in the summer!!
    Ya, I would love to see one also. I do understand though since you basically stay on the UD2 all the time it would be kind of redundant though.

Pat you'll be happy you got the UD2 book. Regardless of the diet it is a good read. Just be sure the first week you end up doing it that you don't have a lot to do and some extra time, some people take that first week kind of rough.

4/08/08

Little (or long) pre-note: Two interesting things regarding the outcome of this diet so far... first I feel like the stubborn areas are not progressing like I was hoping. This in part might be due to my poor food selections. So, I'm cleaning that up. Lightly breaded chicken is no more and I am now grilling my chicken. Also going to try and include a better variety of carbs. This also entails watching what I eat over the weekend.

The second part is important because I must admit that I feel like my arms are finally growing (or at least certainly leaned out). Basically what I am getting at is that I need to remember that even though the fat is still in the stomach to a degree, it is coming off other areas, and I am maintaining my muscle mass. Watching my weight thus farm, it would seem, like others might experience on the diet, that recomposition is taking place.

Training - UD2 Quasi Depletion - Day 2
    Basically was an odd combination of usual Day 1 and Day 2, more lower body less upper. Total I cut back how much leg work though in order to prevent taxing my knee too much.
    Last edited by TopCat; 04-09-2008 at 09:23 PM.
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer

4/09/08

Basics

*Sleep: 5-6 hours
    *Weight: 201 (No short/shoes/socks...) so I bet I was closer to 203

Training - UD2 Optional Cardio - Day 3
    *Swimming: 12 Laps (24 lengths), didn't catch the time. Consisted of freestyle, breaststroke, and using the kick board (just probably 2 laps?)

My Life
    Gah, what a busy day! Not to mention things are going to just be getting that much busier here in a couple days for a week or so. Results on TSH came back, was 0.57 (They said I want to be at 0.1) but my T4 was high which should help lower my TSH. Little confused, but don't have time to look into. Either way I am staying at 200 mcg of Synthroid.

Pictures
    I figured for those that are actually keeping up on my journal and are curious how the diet is going here is a glimpse. The leg shot was hard to get the same angle. As you can see my non-stubborn areas are really coming a long and my stomach is getting hit also.

The '2's are from 3/3/08 following my first depletion. I did 1 week of UD2, took 2 off for finals week(s) and then 2 did full weeks and (so far) half of another between the '3's which are from today. For reference, on UD2 Day 1 of 3/3/08 I weighed in at 209. On UD2 Day 1 of 4/7/08 I was at 205... crazy eh?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TopCat; 04-09-2008 at 10:22 PM.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Banned
    Nice man looking real good, keep it up.

Those quads are looking great, keep us updated on the progress.

Dude, I seriously almost didn't recognize you when you walked in today.

You are making a ton of progress, and it took me a minute b/c you are looking more mature and muscular.

I was kind of sucking ass by the end there, so hopefully everything I said was coherrent.

You look good mang. There is a distinct difference between the last 2 pics.

4/20/08

Basics
    *Sleep: 10 hours
    *Weight: 204

*Last week was a break due to a large load of school work, aka the week from hell.

Training - Whatever, whatever! I do what I want!

*DB Bench: 8x40's, 4x65's, 4x80's, 5x95's, 4x95's (the last rep of each was not great depth)
    *Push downs: 2 set of 10 reps
    *Curls: 8x70, 6x110, 6x120, 2x130
    *Pull-ups: BWx5, BWx5
    *Farmer's Walk: 90's, less distance than normal
    *5+ minutes of stretching (Can touch my toes finally!)

Basically this was my do whatever I want to build-up before I start back up on the UD2 for another 3 weeks (I'm hoping!). That should put me really close to where I want to be.

My Life
    Ya... as stated this past week was hell. Wow, I have never been so busy. Unfortunately this is not a very hard quarter. It is however, the busiest quarter of my academic time.

Either way I've got some studying/eating/cleaning to do, this was just long overdue.
    5'11" 204 lbs

What is with this update-your-journal-once-a-month ****? Haha, jk man! Workout looks good, your doing the best you can under the circumstances - and it ain't bad at all!

Looking big in those shots.

Banned
    Glad to see your still alive!

Are you taking classes in the summer as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    What is with this update-your-journal-once-a-month ****? Haha, jk man! Workout looks good, your doing the best you can under the circumstances - and it ain't bad at all!
    LOL thanks... ass.

Also no summer classes, thank God, but I'll be working instead.

4/23/08

Basics
    *Sleep: 7 hours
    *Weight: 201
    *Diet: Little high in fat so far, but I personally like keeping it a little higher than lyle suggests. So far I've had a ribeye steak from sams, cut out all fat I could and a 2 scoops of whey protein with 2 cups 2% milk. About to have 2 more scoops of whey with water, maybe some chicken, prob half a piece of toast, cottage cheese, and a very low carb yogurt/tad of PB.

Training - UD2 Depletion - Day 1.5
    So, yesterday I only did half of what I should have (Upper body) because I met up with a friend at the Rec and decided to stretch/chill with her and then took her home. So today was hell

*Hammer Squats: 11 sets, 12-13ish reps... never again... NEVER AGAIN. (180 lb, 160 lb, 150 lb)
    *Calve Raises: 7 sets, 14 reps (115 lb, 90 lb)
    *Leg Curls: 8 sets, 14 reps (110 lb)
    *DB Bench: 3 sets, 12-14 reps (65's)
    *BB Rows: 3 sets, 15 reps (95 lb, 115 lb, 125 lb)
    *Pull Downs: 3 sets, 14 reps (130 lb)
    *Lat Raises: 2 sets, 14 reps (15's)
    *CG Bench: 3 sets, 15 reps (95 lb, 105 lb)... didn't want to risk failure due to fatigue
    *Standing Preacher Curls: 2 sets, 13 reps (65 lb)

There was little chance of doing the complete amount of leg exercises I was suppose to. Those squats blasted me! I mean, I was dripping sweat. Seriously. My shoes are even soaked. Either way, I'm glad I did almost all the squats and cut out some leg curls/calve raises and not the other way.

My Life
    Today has been long, thats about all I have to say. Got to practice/receive IM and SC injections today in lab. Also I already feel much better/committed to the diet after the session tonight.

On another note, I have been feeling the best lately I have in a LONG time. Feeling much more like I did couple years ago. My confidence has returned and I feel like I have taken back my mind... which feels amazing. The past fall was a a very eye opening and life changing experience. It really made me stop, think, and question things in my life. **** had happened in my life that I could not control. However, that didn't mean I had to sit around and take it. Now, obviously the thyroid replacement has helped my mental status, but I feel there has been a lot more to it than that. Too a degree, I am glad the events that took place did.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Banned
    Holy squats son! Yea no wonder you were pooped 11 sets; yet you still managed to do 7 sets of calf raises and 8 sets of leg curls, man you got some drive thats for sure. I'd be hanging over the toilet.

Glad to hear you are feeling better thats a good sign, keep hitting it hard, and macking on the ladies too haha.

Quote Originally Posted by MihalikPJ View Post
    Holy squats son! Yea no wonder you were pooped 11 sets; yet you still managed to do 7 sets of calf raises and 8 sets of leg curls, man you got some drive thats for sure. I'd be hanging over the toilet.

Glad to hear you are feeling better thats a good sign, keep hitting it hard, and macking on the ladies too haha.
    Ya, honestly it was tough and I am feeling it now. Also I was too tired to puke, would of just fell over if it came to that lol.

I get to go out with the ladies tomorrow night! Thank goodness carb-load starts tomorrow Although, I am gonna try and lay off the alcohol as much as I can. If worse comes to worse I have a sub par session Sunday.
    5'11" 204 lbs

4/25/08

Basics
    *Sleep: 8 hours
    *Weight: 200 (after training... 5lbs lower than 2 weeks ago)

Weight difference is probably because I've been cutting harder and had very little to eat earlier in the day. Probably also slightly dehydrated.

Training - UD2 Tension - Day 4 Part 2
    *Hammer Squats: 3x10 (270 lb)
    *Leg Curls: 3x12 (150 lb)
    *Calf Raise: 3x12 (115 lb)
    *Military Press: 2x10 (65's)
    *Pull-ups: 2x9 (BW)
    *DB Bench: 2x9 (80's)
    *Rows: 2x10 (155 lb, too much next set at 145)
    *Curl Machine: 2x9 (100 lb, 110 lb) I find being about to rotate my hands really helps my forearm pain.
    *Close-grip Bench: 2x12 (135 lb, 145 lb) I worry about going hard on this at the end, so didnt push it too much
    *Farmers Walk: 75's
    *Decline Situps: 2x10 (Hands by ears)
    5'11" 204 lbs

Nice job overall TopCat.

5/04/08

Basics
    *Sleep: 7 hours
    *Weight: 202
    *Diet: Going strong. Cut my calories back more on the cut days and bulkish.

Training - UD2 Day 6 - Power Day
    *Bench: Warm-ups, then 3x225, 3x245, 1x255
    *Pull-ups: 4xBW, 3xBW+25, 3xBW+45
    *Rack-Pulls: Quick Warm-up, then 3x315, 5x405, 3x455, 3x495
    *Hammer Strength Military Press: 4x180, 4x230, 1x240
    *Hammer Strength Squats: 4x270, 4x360, 4x360
    *Leg Extension: 3x270
    *Curl Machine: 6x110
    *DB Curl: 6x40's
    *Close Grip Bench: 5x135, 6x165

Was short on time so unfortunately legs got the slight cut. Now to go study away the next 36 hours of my life. Have a big infectious disease test on Tuesday...

But today was amazing! Weight is down a tad bit more than I expected, but I was still moving good weight.

P.S. Thanks for busting my ass Johnson
    5'11" 204 lbs

NP mang. That guy in the blue shirt is still making me chuckle. Badass rack pulls man.

6/19/08

BACK AT IT!

Basics:
    *Sleep: 8 hours, didn't sleep well though
    *Diet: Didn't eat enough for the first half of the day, carb-load starts now
    *Weight: 191 (Yikes!), 190 yesterday and 194 on Monday (6/16/08)

Training - UD2 Tension - Day 4
    Went well. Not going to list the specifics. I'd like to note though that my bench felt a little weak and my rows particularly strong. Squats are so-so, aka weak.

I'm nearing my body fat goals and finally am striping fat off my very stubborn areas like my lower belly and ass. It feels great and at first I didn't want to dip below 190 but honestly, not having an ass you can sit a glass on for the first time in my life will be amazing, stubborn fat... buh bye! After another 2 weeks or so I'll try using the UD2 to slowly gain.

My Life
    School got very hectic, and by very I mean IT WAS HELL. In a three period I got in twice, maybe three times to the gym. I tried to watch my food intake. Short story is a lost some mass, fat stayed about the same, maybe lost a little. Veins are finally visible in the lower abdomen. Now that school is over I plan on trying to be back on top of this journal.

Other new, synthroid was bumped up again and finally at 225 which looks like is where it will stay.
    5'11" 204 lbs

I thought you died?