Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking Back What is Mine

Hybrid View

Taking Back What is Mine

Welcome. This is the beginning of my journey to take back my life. Why do I need to take it back? Because over the past 4 years I have let it slowly be stripped from me.

Family problems have plagued my time and tortured me mentally and emotionally since high school. Physically though I continued to grow through lifting; two months ago that was taken from me. In a motorcycle accident I suffered a t1 and t4 vertebrae fractures, a fractured rib, and a collapsed lung. CT scans also showed that I had papillary thyroid cancer. Almost 2 months later I now have had my full thyroidectomy and the brace is now off.

Those 2 months while I dependent on those around me I did all I could; I made a promise. 6 months, 2 years, 10 years from now I would look back and know that I came out of this rut with more than just a healed back. I will become a stronger man.

Naturally this journal is going to serve as a training log. However, in my case I want it to be more. This journal is now a pact I have made with myself; a place where I can find motivation and remind myself what it is I am after. I hope that it might even inspire others as the community has inspired me over the past couple years. This journal is very overdue and apologize for being a lurker for so long!

--- GOALS ---------------
    SET [1/07/08]

**KEEP WHAT IS MINE
    *Deadlift: 1x455
    *Squat: 1x365
    *Bench: 1x275
    *Total: 1095

SET [10/28/07]
    **TAKE BACK WHAT IS MINE
    *On 9/3/08 weigh in at a lean 200 lbs or more.
    *On 11/30/07 have the neurosurgeon tell me I can resume more of my normal activities.
    *Reduce LBM loss until I am healed and ready to put it on.

--- STATS ----------------

[1/06/08]

*Weight: 199
    *BF: To be Calculated in a week hopefully
    *Pictures At post #65.

[10/28/07]
    *Height: 5'11"
    *Weight: 180 lbs
    *BF: 12%ish (Abs slightly visible)

--- JOURNAL -------------
    10/26/07
    Appointment with the neurosurgeon! Not going to lie... I had high hopes. I wanted to be told that I could lift practically anything I put my hands on. Little did I know that his initial reaction was that I should wear the brace for another month allowing me to take it off for sleep and showing. After explaining how I felt, a second look at the CT scans, and a feel of my back he decided I could stop wearing the brace. Activities that do not stress my spine are alright... curls, swimming and biking here I come!

At first I was very disappointed... I miss my deadlifts so much. But hey, I CAN DRIVE. Oh my! how nice it is! After having to be shipped around to class everyday and gaining back the ability to care for myself I am now ecstatic!

This is without a doubt the first chain broken that has been holding me back (no pun intended)!

-TC
    Last edited by TopCat; 01-07-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Im looking forward to reading this journal dude. I am trying to get to a lean 200 as well later in the new year. Cant wait to see the workouts, good luck!
    Not for self, but for others

Bench Press: 270 Squat: 250 Dead Lift: 365

The Journal

2/25/08 163
    5'11''

Good luck, compadre

TJ & Dgro

Thanks for best wishes and encouragement! I am pumped about the ride ahead as well!

10/27/07
    I almost don't know how to start this... .... alright ya I do. WHAT A FREAKING DAY. Walking to the Rec never felt so good! I mean I really soaked it all in. I could care less that it was a miserable day outside, I went to the gym. But, ill get to the basics first then the rant!

*Pull-Ups 1x0 Ha! None... lowered myself and spine definitely felt stress
    *Machine Curls 4x8 (medium-high intensity)
    *Flys 2x10 (medium intensity)
    *Tricep Machine 2x8 (medium intensity)

*HIIT on bike, 18 min/4 miles total with warmup and cooldown

*10 hours of sleep and trying to up my caloric intake and get an appetite.

I didn't bother to look at any of the weight this time around for two reasons. First, I wanted nothing to ruin this session at the gym. I could of curled 10 lbs or 100 lbs, didn't matter. Second I didn't want to try and compare my current lifts with my old lifts. Last thing I need is my mind trying to tell me what I can do instead of my back. Pull-ups were a no go; sharp pains in the spine while rising equals the "I-will-go-ape-****-if-I-hurt-my-back" lift. The flys were not that bad honestly. Because it was a machine I could sit up and keep a lot of the pressure off my spine, was cautious though and only did medium/low intensity. The biking.... damn, doing **** for 2 months really catches up with you!

SPLIT
    Next time ill adventure a little bit more with my legs. I plan on doing a 4 day split of whatever the hell I can. If possible ill find a lift for each muscle group I can preform at any intensity . Split will be separated like so:

Day 1 - Back/bi heavy & chest/tri light
    Day 2 - Quads/calves heavy & hams light
    Day 3 - Rest
    Day 4 - Back/bi light & chest/tri heavy
    Day 5 - Quads/calves light & hams heavy
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Rest

The order is really going to change from week to week as the intensity of each workout will dictate how the rest days are placed. Another option I am looking into is cutting out 1 of the rests days and moving into a 6 day cycle because my schedule is so flexible (that is a joke I don't have a schedule period right now).

-TC
    Last edited by TopCat; 10-28-2007 at 06:15 PM.

10/28/07
    Ahh another day without that forsaken brace! Didn't get a whole lot accomplished today, but did do some stuff. Went and got some food (woot!) so now I don't have to continue to starve myself and picked up some old paychecks. Most importantly started and caught up this journal! K, to the basics...

*Sleep: 10 hrs
    *Diet/Intake:
    *Cals/Fat/Carb/Pro
    *2786/134/ 205/201

Food consisted of:
    -3 egg cheese omelet and toast with apple butter
    -Protein shake: 2 cups milk, 2 scoops protein powder, Nat. PB, banana, olive oil
    -Little bit of homemade giant pizza roll with cup of milk and 3 fish oil caps
    -Yogurt, strawberry/low sugars
    -French Hamwich (Imagine a ham samwich meets french toast) w/ 1 fish oil cap and 1 cup milk

Diet was kind of crappy today. Don't think I drank near enough water. Also I didn't get to run to Sam's to pick up some meat so had to resort to cheat meals to get it in which in turn gave me more saturated fat than id like. Either way tomorrow is a BIG DAY! Finally meet with my endocrinologist and plan on doing a pseudo-leg day.

-TC

10/29/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 6 hrs (8 total but kept waking up)
    *Weight: 181
    *Diet/Intake
    *Cals / Fat/Carb /Pro
    *1816/ 81 / 135 /143
    *Didn't count large chicken cesar salad, 2 small pieces of pizza, and small piece of brothers cake. Gonna guess that all that is at least 700 calories and puts me at or around yesterdays intake. Breakfast was a shake, then had a PWO shake and then part of pizza roll and yogurt before taking off.

Sleep was kind of crappy, same with todays food. Oh well... it was my little brothers birthday. The endocrinologist took longer than expected and same with the birthday so I didn't get to buy the meat. In the end those are just excuses though. Know what? I'm also sick of making excuses to cover up my laziness. Tomorrow I am taking care of ****.

Workout - Legs
    *Leg Extensions: 8x130, 8x150, 8x170, 12x190
    *Leg Curls: 8x70, 8x110, 8x130, 3x150
    *Seated Calve Raises: 12x135, 12x135, 12x135

*Walked about an hour so far today going to classes/gym/home

Workout was great. Started with low intensity and moved up to medium/high intensity based on how my back reacted. Stopped with the last set of leg curls for this reason. It's freaking nice that I can work all of my legs decently though this! Looks like arms and legs are beefing UP! Not a problem though, both could use some meat.

-TC
    Last edited by TopCat; 10-29-2007 at 10:04 PM.

good dedication man but you need to lay off the isolation exercises and hit the big stuff (squats, deads, bench)
    2000 or bust

Oh, believe me I want to! Really REALLY bad. I meet with the neurosurgeon again at the end of November. For those just jumping in, I fractured two of my vertebrae 2 months ago and technically am suppose to still be resting... screw that! I am just doing lifts that I can without excessive risk of breaking the fracture.

In honesty though I got the impression that I could do limited exercises based on what puts stress on my back.

Stumprrp, your videos always make me wanna go lift like crazy. Honestly they have been torture to watch hehe. I love the video of your squat with all the bands and chains... running in like a crazy mofo, in time for me!

P.S. continue doing your stuff. Your helping yourself and the community with the lifts!

-TC

11/3/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 9 hrs
    *Weight: 180
    *Diet Intake:
    *Cals...... / Fat / Carb / Pro
    *2441(+) / 110/ 178 / 187
    Ill post up finally numbers little later. Decided it was time to slightly bump up the calories as 2700ish has been keeping me around 180. Soooo after lifting I headed to my mother's house and on the way was gonna pick up some meat from the butcher. Got there 3 minutes too late, place was closed. I was already behind in meeting maintenance goals and eating something too plain wouldn't of helped. I really wanted to boost the calories today... so I decided to stop by wendys. What a mistake! I mean it got the macro-nutrients in, but after a triple and large fries I feel like ****. SCREW THAT PLACE. I remember why I haven't eaten at fast food in months. Hopefully I wont be writing down that crap in months again!

(+)Also had a shake at night, some beans and small PWO shake not added in. Was most likely over 3k slightly.

Workout - Legs
    Leg Extensions: 8x110, 6x150, 6x170, 6x190, 6x210, 6x230, 6x250
    Leg Curls: 6x70, 6x110, 6x130, 6x150
    Seated Calve Raises: 8x160, 8x160, 8x170
    Squats: 8x45 (just the bar to go through the motion)

Great workout!... although I think I pushed myself a little too much and worried about my back a bit. Leg extensions I started too slow because I didn't plan on going up that high in weight today. Leg curls still seem to bother my back the most out of the lifts so I still haven't gone that extra step. Ugh, I really wanted to lift harder but I shouldn't be doing what I already am...

-TC
    Last edited by TopCat; 11-04-2007 at 11:44 AM.

11/4/07

Basics

*Sleep: 9 hrs of crap
    *Intake/diet

Rest Day
    Needed sooo much. Last night my back was starting to hurt a little bit, I think I slightly overdid it.

My Life

Woke up today feeling like complete ****. Obviously caught some kind of cold/virus as I was achy all over, back felt odd, hurt to breathe, splitting headache and incoming fever I believe. Then again could be combo of hard workout/****ty food/cold outside/stayed up way to late.

Took some aspirin and ate some food, feeling slightly better. Have school work I have GOT to get done.

Hoping I feel better...

-TC

Wannabebig Member
    Glad to see you have so much dedication, but be very careful to not over do it.It would be awful for you to re-injure yourself. Good luck.

11/18/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 10 hours
    *Diet/Intake: Not enough

Rest Day

My Life
    The day after my last post I was pretty sick for a couple days. I am not sure if it was just a virus or a combination of hard training/bad food/poor sleep or what. Either way my back felt bad... and it scared me. So I took 2 weeks off. Almost. Haven't done anything except arms 3 days ago.

You can expect regular posting again.

-TC

11/19/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 8.5 hours... surprisingly still awake
    *Diet/Intake: Around maintenance give or take

Workout - Upper Bodyish
    Curl Bar: 8x65, 8x75, 8x85
    Curl Machine: 6x110, 4x110
    Fly Machine: 8x110, 8x130, 8x150
    Tricep Machine: 8x70, 8x90, 6x110
    Lat. Raises: 8x20's, 6x25's

My Life
    Can't... wait... until... I meet with THE FREAKING NEUROSURGEON! Man if I don't hear good news I am going to be really sad. I am not keeping my hopes up because when I start to lift 'hard' my back does feel little odd. I am going to continue to think that it is to be expected to have some pains even when the vertebrae are fully healed. For those of you worrying don't... I am not really pushing myself

-TC

11/20/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 9 hours on and off... pretty crappy quality
    *Weight: 182 (very surprised it was not less)

Workout - HIIT

*Biked 10.6 miles/35 min
    *7 intervals of 0.5 min very hard 1.5 min medium
    *That includes 3 min warmup and cooldown. Very happy also about the pace, I believe I kept up with my last session if not did slightly better. Although I was HOSED at the end of the workout.

My Life
    To school of pharmacy to get some more counseling worksheets done. Ill add bit more later.

Also a good friend is undergoing spine surgery today, please keep him in your prayers.

-TC

11/21/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 9 hours, solid
    *Diet/Intake: dirty but hit maintenance I'm sure

Rest Day

My Life
    Had quite a bit of school work due today which went alright. Realizing now that I have a bunch to do for the next 2 weeks and I really need to take advantage of this couple day break

-TC

Strong strong bro.

You'll be back in no time.

What matters is that you are breathing and you got the time to slowly put the pieces back one by one.

Schaedle

Thanks for the kind words and I must say I agree. Going through all of this has really helped my appreciate everything I do! That and I need to keep it all in perspective; this is just a minor set back, nothing more. Also I ordered that protein book! Thanks for pointing it out in the threads.

**I'M BACK IN ACTION!!**

12/01/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 9 hours
    *Weight: 182 (slightly dehydrated)
    *Diet/Intake: Today might have hit maintenance! Yesterday I told myself one way or another I'd meet my needs now that I can lift. Today consisted of a little over 1/2 a jar of Nat. PB (~1500 cal), orange juice, little granola and berries, ~1 lb steak before cooking (so less after cooking and a lot of fat/grim I didn't eat), mashed potatoes (2 potatoes worth) and some asparagus.. I'll snack on raw nuts shortly.

Workout - Chest/Tris
    *DB Bench: 9x45s, 8x60s, 6x65s, 7x70s
    *Standing Barbell Press: 6x85, 6x85
    *Incline Barbell Press: 6x95
    *Dips: BWx10, BWx10
    *Lat Raises: 4x25s
    *Close Grip Bench: 8x95

Man was I pumped to be able to lift whatever I wanted to again! However, by the end my back was really starting to irritate me. My doc told me the bones were completely healed but that I should still use my body as a guide over the next 3 months. By the time I got to the close grip bench my back was hurting, but more on my right side... I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Felt the volume was just a tad low. Would of preferred to stick another 2 sets in somewhere between incline/military.

My Life
    A lot has happened within my last couple posts that I just have not had time to share.

First, after some bull**** with my endocrinologists office about them not being able to disclose MY lab results to me I find from my nuclear medicine doctor that my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is 14... it should be .1-.4 for me since... ya know... I don't have a gland. Nothing is done about it though, they will be raising my TSH next week with thyrogen injections. Looks like 125 mcg of synthroid isn't enough for me.

Second as stated, I meet with my neurosurgeon and HUZZAH I can lift/be active again! My back probably will not feel the same as before, which was expected.

When I met with my cancer doctor this past Tuesday about the treatment some scary **** discussed. One thing in particular is that he suggested I go to a sperm bank... apparently there is a chance I could be infertile after this WTF.

I'll rant more tomorrow. Because I actually ate a bit of food today, tomorrow I might try and work my legs.
    Last edited by TopCat; 12-02-2007 at 10:34 AM.

12/02/07 - Rest Day

12/03/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 8 hours
    *Weight: 184
    *Diet/Intake: same as other day pretty much. Yesterday I was gonna try powdered egg whites... BAD IDEA. That stuff was nasty. Today instead I added in 4 egg whites, though not much it is a start. I hope in a day or two to be able to stomach 8 post workout for some quality protein.

Workout - Legs
    *Squats: 135x8, 165x8, 185x7, 205x4, 225x3
    *Leg Curls: 110x8, 130x8, 150x8
    *Leg Extensions: 170x8, 190x7, 210x8
    *Calves: 90x12, 135x10, 160x10

For not having done squats for over 3 months I was very happy! I'm sure the numbers will catch up quickly over the next month and a half as well. I wanted to do good mornings but was pretty burnt and plan on hitting back tomorrow. In the future I plan on a tad bit more volume.

My Life

Crappy diet... also had an injection of thyrogen to bump up my TSH. Not much else is going on.

12/15/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 6 hours, crappy... looking forward to goodness tonight!
    *Diet/Intake: lots of dirty, delicious over maintenance calories
    *Weight: 189 (up from food and started some creatine)

Workout - Chest, little shoulders
    *BB Bench: 8x95, 6x135, 4x185, 4x185, 1x205
    *Incline Hammer Strength: 6x180, 6x200
    *DB Military: 7x55's, 6x60's
    *Side Lat Raises: 6x20's, 6x25's
    *Front Lat Raises: 8x25's
    *Abs: Incline sit-ups with arms over head.

Kind of torn about what to do. My BB bench has really suffered but I am not sure that it is because of my chest strength. I'm finding the particular lift to be a problem maybe because of my back injury? Compared to what I use to do BB bench is far behind compared to DB bench and Hammer Strength machines which have not had such a drop.

My Life

Started back on my synthroid which should really help get me moving. 2.5 weeks ago my levels were already really low. Being off the hormone since then for treatment has made it even worse... so heres hoping!
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer

12/17/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 11 hours (lazy POS I know)
    *Weight: 188
    *Diet: Still on the eat whatever as long as I know I'm over maintenance

Workout - Back
    *Deadlifts: 8x135, 6x185, 4x225, 6x275 (split grip), 5x315 (split grip... easy!)
    *Rack Pulls: 2x405, 3x405
    *Pull-ups: 6xBW (wide grip)
    *Pull-downs: 7x145, 6x160
    *BB rows (UH): 7x135, 6x135
    *Preacher Curls: 6x75 (was going to do a harder set after but my forearms KILLED)

Alright, I just have to throw something out here... I FREAKING LOVE BACK DAYS! There. I said it. Pretty much every set today I left a couple reps in the tank which I am hoping will pay off for the next round. That and I am so happy with my deadlifts! 315 was feeling easy... and to think 3 months ago I was just getting out of the hospital with 2 fractured vertebrae and a rib

My Life
    Question of the day: Why do people at the Rec wear a sleeveless shirt slit ALL the way down to the bottom with a wife beater?
    Last edited by TopCat; 12-18-2007 at 11:23 PM.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Get some:

1. sugar free nesquik mix

2. rice dream milk or soy milk

Use that egg powder in there and you are good to go.

Maybe add some splenda too.

Schaedle
    I appreciate the advice! Though looking through my wonderful book I find that soybean products is a no go. Haven't heard of the rice milk though and I'll have to look into what it is made with.

The nesquik is tough call. I'll have to look at it because the book does say... Cocoa powder and some dark chocolates are allowed! Damn would that be nice!

As far as the powdered eggs whites... is there something I should use other than plan powdered egg whites? Like I said in the other thread my time on this diet is running low so it is not quite a big concern at this point. But you can bet I'll be coming to you for food advice once I'm off the diet.

12/04/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 10 hours
    *Diet/Intake: same old, though adding more egg whites

Workout - Back
    Dead lifts: 8x135, 8x185, 5x225, 6x275 (last set split grip)
    Pull-ups: BWx10
    Barbell Rows: 8x115, 6x125 (both UH grip)
    Pull downs: 130x8, 145x6
    Preacher Curls: 8x75
    DB Curls: 5x35s (neutral grip)

Next go I'll add a touch more volume and rack pulls. The DLs were getting tough because of my grip giving out so last set I had to use split grip instead of double overhand. Overall I was very happy. I was fearing that my back would of suffered more than my other lifts which did not seem to be the case!

My Life

Ordered Lyles protein book and hoping it comes in any day now...
    5'11" 204 lbs

12/06/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 6 hours, +1 hour nap
    *Weight: 184
    *Diet/Intake: Hopefully enough

Workout - Chest

*DB Bench: 8x45s, 6x65s, 6x70s, 6x75s, 5x80s
    *BB Seated Military: 6x95, 3x115
    *DB military: 6x50s
    *Hammer Strength Incline: 6x140, 3x190, 4x190
    *Tried some Tricep work but was too hosed.

My Life
    Done with exams! Yessss! Also tomorrow I'm hoping the protein book comes in; I'm bored and want something to read. Otherwise everything is fine, had an hour long scan of the diagnostic dose of the iodine... which is where the nap came in.

Alright, off to bed!

-TC
    5'11" 204 lbs

12/07/07

Workout - Legs
    *Squats
    *Hammer Strength Squats
    *Good Mornings: need to work on form or flexibility... did not feel like I was doing them properly either way.
    *Leg Curls
    *Leg Extensions

My Life

Felt like crap this day and day after both mentally and physically which is why I did not post the day of the workout and don't remember the exact sets/reps anymore.
    Last edited by TopCat; 12-09-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    5'11" 204 lbs

12/09/07

Basics

*Sleep: 11 hours
    *Weight: 184 (not bad, no food really today)
    *Diet/Intake: Almost nothing so far... gonna go pick up some lean beef patties

Workout - Back
    *Preacher Curls: 10x55, 8x75
    *Deadlifts: 8x135, 6x185, 4x225, 6x275 (split grip), 5x305 (split grip)
    *Rack Pulls: 2x365, 2x365 (grip was definitely the problem, bar was killing my hands... )
    *Pull-ups: BWx8
    *Pull-downs: 145x6, 6x160
    *Barbell Rows (UH grip): 6x135, 6x135

My Life
    Feeling better both physically and emotionally. Not sure why but couple days again I was out of it. I was totally sick of my diet, felt like ****, and didn't want to do anything. I'm gonna blame my extremely low thyroid levels for all this madness. I have to admit though... back day always gets me fired up. Definitely my favorite day in the gym, thank you deadlifts!

Protein book (Lyle) arrived Friday and I've been reading bits of it so far. Amazing! VERY extensive book and well worth the money if your interested in the science aspect of nutrition and athletics.

**Tomorrow I find out about the extent of my cancer, if you would pray for me tonight.
    5'11" 204 lbs