The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Threaded View

Taking Back What is Mine

Welcome. This is the beginning of my journey to take back my life. Why do I need to take it back? Because over the past 4 years I have let it slowly be stripped from me.

Family problems have plagued my time and tortured me mentally and emotionally since high school. Physically though I continued to grow through lifting; two months ago that was taken from me. In a motorcycle accident I suffered a t1 and t4 vertebrae fractures, a fractured rib, and a collapsed lung. CT scans also showed that I had papillary thyroid cancer. Almost 2 months later I now have had my full thyroidectomy and the brace is now off.

Those 2 months while I dependent on those around me I did all I could; I made a promise. 6 months, 2 years, 10 years from now I would look back and know that I came out of this rut with more than just a healed back. I will become a stronger man.

Naturally this journal is going to serve as a training log. However, in my case I want it to be more. This journal is now a pact I have made with myself; a place where I can find motivation and remind myself what it is I am after. I hope that it might even inspire others as the community has inspired me over the past couple years. This journal is very overdue and apologize for being a lurker for so long!

--- GOALS ---------------
    SET [1/07/08]

**KEEP WHAT IS MINE
    *Deadlift: 1x455
    *Squat: 1x365
    *Bench: 1x275
    *Total: 1095

SET [10/28/07]
    **TAKE BACK WHAT IS MINE
    *On 9/3/08 weigh in at a lean 200 lbs or more.
    *On 11/30/07 have the neurosurgeon tell me I can resume more of my normal activities.
    *Reduce LBM loss until I am healed and ready to put it on.

--- STATS ----------------

[1/06/08]

*Weight: 199
    *BF: To be Calculated in a week hopefully
    *Pictures At post #65.

[10/28/07]
    *Height: 5'11"
    *Weight: 180 lbs
    *BF: 12%ish (Abs slightly visible)

--- JOURNAL -------------
    10/26/07
    Appointment with the neurosurgeon! Not going to lie... I had high hopes. I wanted to be told that I could lift practically anything I put my hands on. Little did I know that his initial reaction was that I should wear the brace for another month allowing me to take it off for sleep and showing. After explaining how I felt, a second look at the CT scans, and a feel of my back he decided I could stop wearing the brace. Activities that do not stress my spine are alright... curls, swimming and biking here I come!

At first I was very disappointed... I miss my deadlifts so much. But hey, I CAN DRIVE. Oh my! how nice it is! After having to be shipped around to class everyday and gaining back the ability to care for myself I am now ecstatic!

This is without a doubt the first chain broken that has been holding me back (no pun intended)!

-TC
    Last edited by TopCat; 01-07-2008 at 03:59 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!