The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

what are your thoughts on knee sleeves?

I just bought a pair of knee sleeves this past weekend, since squats have been bothering my knees. My knees felt great while I was squatting this weekend, but when I took them off they were kind of sore. My knees are always sore right below my kneecap after heavy squatting, but these sleeves really helped A LOT!!! It's now 2 days later, and I feel good again. My next squat session isn't until next Monday either so I have a good amount of rest time.

I'm just wondering if any of you guys use these things and what your experience is with them. Are they really protecting my knees, or should I just not be squatting if it bothers my knees? They really make me feel much better and safer while I'm squatting though.

I think my form is okay (a few powerlifters at my gym watched my form, and they said it was good, the only thing they said I should do differently is hold the bar lower down on my back by using a slightly wider grip, but doing that hurts my wrists). I squat to exactly parallel.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Keeping the knees warm can't hurt. I can't see anything wrong with using the sleeves.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Try box squats. For me, it seems to transfer the weight to my hams and glutes more than my quads/knees. Just my .02.

Maybe I will give box squats a try. I will have to look up how to do them since I've never tried before. But basically I would like to transfer as much of the weight to my hams and glutes as possible.

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    maybe a dumb question, but are you warming up b4 squatting, I do 5 minutes on a bike at descending difficulty and it seems to help to have my knees/ legs warmed up. (even though I can't squat very much LOL).
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

How old are you? Pain right below your kneecaps sounds like Osgood-Schlatter to me.
    Knee sleeves aren't a bad idea, but stretching your IT band should help some too, and really my knees typically hurt unless I stretch the hell out of everything.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Quote Originally Posted by RickTheDestroyer View Post
    How old are you? Pain right below your kneecaps sounds like Osgood-Schlatter to me.
    Knee sleeves aren't a bad idea, but stretching your IT band should help some too, and really my knees typically hurt unless I stretch the hell out of everything.
    You're exactly right. I do have Osgood-Schlatter. I'm 25, but my knees have always bothered me in that area because of it, even though my doctor said I would grow out of it when I was finished growing.

I don't really do any warm-up other then just squatting with the bar and light weights. I do stretch before I warm-up though. The knee-sleeves really helped me this past saturday, I'm glad I got them.

bulkin up
    Well, if they make your knees feel better than stick with them

Banned
    i have used them since i rehabilitating my knees from blowing them out, and have worked great as injury prevention.

Ya, I'm definately going to keep using them. I was just basically wondering if they were only helping me avoid the pain, but not actually avoid the problem. Kind of like getting into a fight when your drunk....you don't feel it while it's happening, but the damage is still being done, lol.

bulkin up
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Ya, I'm definately going to keep using them. I was just basically wondering if they were only helping me avoid the pain, but not actually avoid the problem. Kind of like getting into a fight when your drunk....you don't feel it while it's happening, but the damage is still being done, lol.
    Lol good analogy.

I think it's a good call to keep using them.
    But seriously, stretch your IT band (hell, use a foam roller on it if you like pain)- it really does help. Maybe some unilateral leg work too if you're not doing any.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I'm not sure what the IT band is, but I will look it up. Thanks for the advice. Do you have Osgood-Schlatters too?

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    What is your heaviest work set?

What is your heaviest warm-up?

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    What is your heaviest work set?

What is your heaviest warm-up?

Nothing amazing. I'm working on increasing my 1RM by about 10 lbs. a week. This past Saturday I did 255 lbs. for 2 reps. I know I can do more, but I'm taking it slow considering I just started doing squats about 6 months ago. My heaviest warm-up is about 155 lbs. for 12 - 15 reps.

I was doing something like this:

bar for 15 reps
    95 lbs. for 15 reps
    135 lbs. for 15 reps
    155 lbs. for 15 reps
    175 lbs. for 15 reps
    185 lbs. for 10 reps.

That didn't bother my knees too badly. It's the higher weight that hurts them.

Now I'm doing sets that look like:

6 reps
    1 rep
    6 reps
    1 rep
    12 reps
    20 reps

It's from the NROL book.

What is your stance like?

I guess it's a bit wider then average, with my feet pointed at about a 30 to a 45 degree angle outward. I only say it's wider then average, because the powerlifters at my gym critiqued my form and told me that. My feet are about shoulder width apart. They told me to hold the bar lower down my back by taking a wider grip on the bar, but that kills my wrists when I try to do that, so I just keep the bar about even with my upper delts maybe a bit higher.

You're exactly right. I do have Osgood-Schlatter. I'm 25, but my knees have always bothered me in that area because of it, even though my doctor said I would grow out of it when I was finished growing.

I don't really do any warm-up other then just squatting with the bar and light weights. I do stretch before I warm-up though. The knee-sleeves really helped me this past saturday, I'm glad I got them.
    Hey check out a company called Cho-Pat. they sell a specific brace for Osgoods

https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/...roduct_type=26

How big are you I have an xtra XXL

Ya I had something like that when I was younger when it was really bad. It's not the osgoods that bothers me that badly anymore, it's right above the "bump" but below my kneecap. These sleeves I have are excellent for protecting my whole knee area as well as making my osgood schlatters bump not hurt while lifting.

I will save that link though in case my osgoods really starts acting up again as I go heavier and heavier on the squats. Thanks bro.

I think it might be worth your time to experiment with a stance with your feet closer to parallel.

-best of luck

I'm not sure what the IT band is, but I will look it up. Thanks for the advice. Do you have Osgood-Schlatters too?
    I do, although it bothers me much less than it did a decade ago.
    Google some stretches for the iliotibial band (or iliotibial tract) and the tensor fascia latae. I'm also a huge fan of this stretch. Trying to keep my quads, hammies, and lower back loose seems to help too. Of course "loose" is pretty relative I guess.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    I think it might be worth your time to experiment with a stance with your feet closer to parallel.

-best of luck
    Maybe I'll give that a try. Thanks for the advice.

Rick, I appreciate the link and the stretch idea too. I will do that as well. Every little thing to help, I'll do in order to protect my knees. Thanks man.

But basically I would like to transfer as much of the weight to my hams and glutes as possible.
    Earlier you said that you squat to exactly parallel. If you want to transfer weight to the hams / glutes, this is done by squatting as deep as you are able to with good form below parallel. At the parallel mark the knees are taking the load.

Quote Originally Posted by DanOz View Post
    Earlier you said that you squat to exactly parallel. If you want to transfer weight to the hams / glutes, this is done by squatting as deep as you are able to with good form below parallel. At the parallel mark the knees are taking the load.
    But it's the pushing up part that I feel it in my quads and knees

I don't doubt you are feeling it in your quads & knees when pushing up if you are squatting to exactly parallel. The point in the movement that you feel it in your knees does not alter the fact that the load is not being transferred to the hams / glutes effectively when squatting to exactly parallel IMO.