Thread: Advice

Banned

Advice

Hi everyone!!!!
    I have 21 years. I hope very much to receive a good advice from the members of this forum.
    One of my friends from high school attends regularly gym and he looks very good. He is always self-confident and I like how he looks, not as the mojority of our folks, who are thins as a rake and who are smoking and drinking.
    Nick (my friend) said that he practices bodybuilding. He gaved my some advices
    I want to start practicing this kind of sport but I have a lot of questions and just do not know how to start it right. My mom said that this is risky because you can traum your back and you will stop growing. I know that there are people who have over 50 years and look great just because they had worked-out.
    Please give some start points so I could start training right with no risk for my health and having benefits from it.

Thank you beforehand!

Banned
    I dont think it is risky, the main idea is to keep the balance.

Banned
    Hi Bro!
    I can give you some general advise:
    1.At the ever beginning do not train a lot, first a f all you have to inforce your muscles and only after that you have to begin serious training.
    2.Change or improve your diet.It depends on your stats.You have to vary the percentage of the carbs and proteins in your diet.
    3.And maybe the main - - Do not listen to your Mom when you want to begin practicing sports - just do it.Do it wiser and she'll like it.

Banned
    Thx for your advice, i'll try to do it.

Banned
    i started to train, but i don't know if it is good - i'm training 5 times a week. It's good or not. Maybe you counld advice me how better to start, maybe some exercices?

Banned
    Bro it's too much 5 days a week for a beginner.You have to train 3 days a week and you will feel fit you may start to increase the intensity of training.
    What is your routine now?

Banned
    i found a routine for begginers on the internet. pls take a look and give me you advice. is is good?

DAY 1

- Chest -
    Barbell Bench Press - 4x20x15x12x10 (4 sets, first 20 reps, then 18-15 and 12)
    Barbell Incline Bench Press ? 3x20x15x10
    Dumbbell Flyes ? 3x15x12x10
    - Triceps -
    Triceps Pushdown ? 4x20x15x12x10
    Close-Grip Bench Press ? 3x20x15x12
    Lying Triceps Press ? 3x15x12x10
    - Abs -
    Decline Crunch3x15-25
    Cable Crunch 3x15-25

DAY 2

- Back -
    Rocky Pull-Ups/Pulldowns 4x as many as you can
    Bent Over Barbell Row 3x20x15x12/10
    Seated Cable Rows 3x18x14x12/10
    - Biceps -
    Barbell Curl 4x20x15x12x10
    Alternate Incline Dumbbell Curl 3x15x12x10/8
    Concentration Curls 3x12x12x12
    - Abs ?
    Hanging Leg Raise 3x15-25
    Cable Crunch 3x15-25

DAY 3

- Legs ?
    Squats 4x20x20x15x15 (do all written reps)
    Romanian Deadlift 3x20x15x10
    EOWBarbell Lunge 3x15x15x12
    EOW Lying Leg Curls 3x15x15x12
    Calves 4x20x20x20x20
    - Shoulders ?
    Side Lateral Raise4x15x15x12x10
    Seated Barbell Military Press 4x20x15x12x10
    Seated Bent Over Rear Delt Raise 4x15x15x12x10
    - Abs ?
    Hanging Leg Raise 3x15-25
    Decline Reverse Crunch3x15-25

Banned
    It's great.
    But don't you feel your triceps overtrained after training the chest?

Banned
    hey man, you don't understand, now i'm training haotic, but 5 times a week. this routine today i found it on internet and i'm interested if it is good?

Banned
    Bro i said it's great, but you can be sure only after you'll try it.Try it and you'll see whether it suits you.I think it will.it's an average one.

Banned

:D

Thanks a lot for such detailed information. From Monday I am starting my training.

Banned
    OK bro keep us updated on this item

That routine is WAY too much volume.

Here ya go:

Monday:
    Squats 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Bent BB Row 5x5
    Chins 3x5

Wednesday:
    Squats 3x5
    OH Press 3x5
    Bent BB Row 5x5
    Chins 3x5

Friday:
    Squats 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlifts 3x3
    Chins 3x5

Go hard on all sets (except warm up sets of course!) and eat big. Once you adapt to it, you can throw in an assistance exercise after the pulling lift (and before the chins), 2 sets of 10 reps. Then you can add in a pressing assistance exercise after the pressing movement, 2 sets of 10.

This is what I am doing, and it is great.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    That routine is WAY too much volume.

Here ya go:

Monday:
    Squats 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Bent BB Row 5x5
    Chins 3x5

Wednesday:
    Squats 3x5
    OH Press 3x5
    Bent BB Row 5x5
    Chins 3x5

Friday:
    Squats 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlifts 3x3
    Chins 3x5

Go hard on all sets (except warm up sets of course!) and eat big. Once you adapt to it, you can throw in an assistance exercise after the pulling lift (and before the chins), 2 sets of 10 reps. Then you can add in a pressing assistance exercise after the pressing movement, 2 sets of 10.

This is what I am doing, and it is great.
    odd routine on the verge of bad... squats and chins 3x a week? why? bench 2x? bb row 2x? why the odd rep scheme? 2sets of 10? why? very odd advice

I would make sure to get these 6 in
    bench, row, oh press, pullup, squat, deadlift
    As a beginner I would probably vary rep ranges every other week while you are building a foundation. Maybe 5x5 one week and 4x8 another. I would also not do any movement three times a week. You do not want to over work yourself. At most I wuold squat 2x a week. Look at WBB1, 2, 3.

The ONLY way to get results is
    lift+eat+sleep+concistency
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-30-2007 at 09:57 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    odd routine on the verge of bad... squats and chins 3x a week? why? bench 2x? bb row 2x? why the odd rep scheme? 2sets of 10? why? very odd advice

I would make sure to get these 6 in
    bench, row, oh press, pullup, squat, deadlift
    As a beginner I would probably vary rep ranges every other week while you are building a foundation. Maybe 5x5 one week and 4x8 another. I would also not do any movement three times a week. You do not want to over work yourself. At most I wuold squat 2x a week. Look at WBB1, 2, 3.

The ONLY way to get results is
    lift+eat+sleep+concistency
    That's actually a pretty good routine for a beginner, although it might be a little bit too much work.

I'd use this routine:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Power cleans

You train on 3 nonconsecutive days per week.

So week 1 might look like:
    Monday - Workout A
    Wednesday - Workout B
    Friday - Workout A

Week 2:
    Monday - Workout B
    Wednesday - Workout A
    Friday - Workout B

Learn more here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

and buy the book here: http://www.startingstrength.com/orders.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I'd use this routine:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Power cleans

You train on 3 nonconsecutive days per week.

So week 1 might look like:
    Monday - Workout A
    Wednesday - Workout B
    Friday - Workout A

Week 2:
    Monday - Workout B
    Wednesday - Workout A
    Friday - Workout B

Learn more here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

and buy the book here: http://www.startingstrength.com/orders.html

There's nothing wrong with squatting 3x a week, especially as a novice.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 10-30-2007 at 10:24 AM.

So he will always be squatting 3x a week? and sometimes DLing 2x a week?

That seems a bit excessive. I would think that is a fine routine for an experienced lifter. I do understand your side.. it is good to have newbies almost over exposed to the big 3, it just seems like a bit much.
    Sarvamangalam!

I would be dead if I was to squat 3x a week much less DL 2x a week. What about recovery? Is there enough recovery time with a setup like this? It just seems like it would be more detrimental to squat 3x a week esp for a newbie given the frequency of squatting. I may be wrong, there are just too many variables
    Sarvamangalam!

So he will always be squatting 3x a week? and sometimes DLing 2x a week?

That seems a bit excessive. I would think that is a fine routine for an experienced lifter. I do understand your side.. it is good to have newbies almost over exposed to the big 3, it just seems like a bit much.
    As a beginner he's really not strong enough to work himself beyond his ability to recover from squatting heavy 3x a week. Once he gets a bit more experience under his belt, squatting heavy 3x a week would probably be too much.

Also, the deadlifts are only 1x5 so it is fine. I wouldn't really do more than 1x5 with heavy squatting on the same day anyway.

As a beginner you want to hit the main compound lifts hard and frequently. Once you get more experience changes can then be made to facilitate recovery, such as lowering instensity on one of the squat days, and maybe stick to just deadlifting once a week, on the light squat day.

For example, I know I can't squat heavy three times a week, but I did it fine when I was just starting. I still squat 3x a week, but one of the days is a light squat day. I also deadlift on that same day.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 10-30-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by biggestman View Post
    Hi everyone!!!!
    I have 21 years. I hope very much to receive a good advice from the members of this forum.
    One of my friends from high school attends regularly gym and he looks very good. He is always self-confident and I like how he looks, not as the mojority of our folks, who are thins as a rake and who are smoking and drinking.
    Nick (my friend) said that he practices bodybuilding. He gaved my some advices
    I want to start practicing this kind of sport but I have a lot of questions and just do not know how to start it right. My mom said that this is risky because you can traum your back and you will stop growing. I know that there are people who have over 50 years and look great just because they had worked-out.
    Please give some start points so I could start training right with no risk for my health and having benefits from it.

Thank you beforehand!
    K so as a beginner you going to want to up the amount of food you are eatting. Start by, and people here use programs or record or ect but, for you eatting more then you normaly do. After every meal, eat alittle more then your use to help put on weight. Pick a good beginner routine, the one you posted IMO isn't great. I would recommend as I do to everyone, one of the premade routines on this site. WBB1.1 or BGB (Baby Got Back) or something similar to these.
    Basic compound movements, squats, deadlifts, bench or db press, pull ups ect, will be your best friends for the next few months. This is a slow process and I would recommend just building it into your routine and don't look for physical results other then numbers. If the numbers your are lifting are going up , thats progress. To see progress it is going to take alot longer then you think. Put it out of your mind, forget about the scale, just go lift, eat, sleep and repeat.
    Last bit of advice, get a membership to a gym. It's the best thing you could ever do. Enjoy the sport/hobby. As alot of people will agree too, it's the best thing many of us have done.

Enjoy.

Oh andmake sure when doing heavy compound movements to watch videos or other people to get form. Practice light and slowly move up. when I first deadlifted, I deadlifts 135lbs for over a month to get my form. Form is way more important then numbers.
    Last edited by Cards; 10-30-2007 at 11:25 AM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I would be dead if I was to squat 3x a week much less DL 2x a week. What about recovery? Is there enough recovery time with a setup like this? It just seems like it would be more detrimental to squat 3x a week esp for a newbie given the frequency of squatting. I may be wrong, there are just too many variables
    A beginner makes most of their 'newbie gains' due to neural adaptation. An untrained individual does not use their muscles very efficiently and aren't able to recruit as much muscle as a more experienced lifter. For that reason, new lifters can benefit from doing the main lifts more frequently. Because they're not wearing down their muscles to the same extent that an experienced lifter is, recovery does not take as long. They are also able to progress much more quickly due to neuromuscular adaptation. Practicing the big lifts so frequently also helps to reinforce proper form.

And if you think about it, Rippetoe's routine is actually lower volume than most other routines. You might be deadlifting twice a week some weeks, but it's actually only for two sets. In total, it only has you doing 23-25 sets a week. That's fewer sets in one week than each day of the routine proposed by the original poster.

Here's a better routine - 4 times per week, upper/lower body split.

http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/...baby-got-back/

Read it... do it... excellent results.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

yes, the routine I mentioned above is a modified rippetoe routine- instead of inverting his A and B I just always Bench twice a week and OH press once a week-

I should have mentioned that I have climbed pretty hard (rocks) for about 6 years, so 3 sets of chins 3 times a week is kind of a joke as far as volume, maybe someone just starting wouldn't want to do as many a week, I don't know-

But, the squatting 3x a week is key I think for putting on mass in the early game!

peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    A beginner makes most of their 'newbie gains' due to neural adaptation. An untrained individual does not use their muscles very efficiently and aren't able to recruit as much muscle as a more experienced lifter. For that reason, new lifters can benefit from doing the main lifts more frequently. Because they're not wearing down their muscles to the same extent that an experienced lifter is, recovery does not take as long. They are also able to progress much more quickly due to neuromuscular adaptation. Practicing the big lifts so frequently also helps to reinforce proper form.

And if you think about it, Rippetoe's routine is actually lower volume than most other routines. You might be deadlifting twice a week some weeks, but it's actually only for two sets. In total, it only has you doing 23-25 sets a week. That's fewer sets in one week than each day of the routine proposed by the original poster.
    thanks for the clarification, that makes perfect sense
    Sarvamangalam!