Thread: From the forum to the gym -- How did everyone start?

Wannabebig Member

From the forum to the gym -- How did everyone start?

First off, new member here. See intro forum for details

I'll be picking up a copy of rippetoe's Starting Strength book. Is it really appropriate for a newb though? (Newb = me = did basic lifts in high school, kinda knows some other stuff, is semi-knowledgeable on form).

...Or should I just not worry, read the book, and GO? Try to figure out what I can? How did everyone else start?

Thanks...

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveSpeedG View Post
    First off, new member here. See intro forum for details

I'll be picking up a copy of rippetoe's Starting Strength book. Is it really appropriate for a newb though? (Newb = me = did basic lifts in high school, kinda knows some other stuff, is semi-knowledgeable on form).

...Or should I just not worry, read the book, and GO? Try to figure out what I can? How did everyone else start?

Thanks...
    generally it really helps if you can have someone take you under their wing and teach you the ropes. Everything i know now i learned from others. so ask questions and listen.................

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I researched on the net for technique. People here told me what lifts I should do and than found out in depth technique on my own, always referring back here to make sure what im learning is proper.

I asked questions about diet, as its very important.

Basically if you dont know something use the search function. If you dont find your answer, make a thread.

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    One day i was sick of being overweight so killed the cardio and weights and ate as little as possible ... although this made me lose weight, I lost muscle aswell so ended up still not being happy yet I was 3stone lighter. I thought I knew what I was doing when in fact I didnt. I didnt spend the time researching or listening to other people. The biggest problem I had was not recognising that in order to increase muscle you need to eat!

It basically took me nearly 3 years to find this forum and since then I've learn't a ton of information. The only benefit I gained from the first 3 years was experience!

My advice would be to:
    1. Decide whether you want to train for primarily strength or primarily size
    2. Read the forum and pick a proven suitable routine on here (maybe change it slightly for yourself if you can't do particular exercises)
    2. Eat above maintenance cals if you want to gain size, eat below to lose weight but make sure your protein/fat levels are adequate.

Constantly take in information. You will learn to filter out all the crap.
    Last edited by leetuck; 10-31-2007 at 03:37 AM.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

1. Set a goal.
    2. Start lifting weights. Pick any program, make sure it includes squats and deadlifts.
    3. Eat according to your goal.
    4. Ask questions.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

^^ it's pretty much that easy. Just be patient.

I started out reading stuff from bad places on the net. My routine was a "full body" workout 3 times a week, on which three times a week I squated, deadlifted, and benched. I tried to eat as least as possible without starving to death, lost alot of weight, and than luckly I came upon this place and learned that I didn't know anything, and a year later I'm still learning.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Sounds like I need to figure out a plan and get my butt in there, and just go for it.

What would you all recommend my calorie combination with lifting be--maintenance or defecit? I'm 6'4" 240, so I want to drop fat, but increase strength/muscle size...

you have to chose one or the other. if you want to lose fat, then deficit, you want to gain size, then eat in surplus. at your size, what estimate would you say your bf is? 240 at your height doesn't seem too bad, unless of course, you have very little muscle and mostly fat.

Gain 100 lbs, then worry about fat loss.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    you have to chose one or the other. if you want to lose fat, then deficit, you want to gain size, then eat in surplus. at your size, what estimate would you say your bf is? 240 at your height doesn't seem too bad, unless of course, you have very little muscle and mostly fat.
    No real clue re: body fat....15-18%? I think I'm proportioned alright...shoulders are wider than my hips still, have strong legs, belly and sides are a little soft but they don't hang or protrude. I can still wear size 34 jeans, but definitely can't get away in a tight fitting shirt.

I don't want to gain tons of weight...I'm an avid sportbike rider, and that would kill handling/performance. Next season I want to really wrestle the bike and get my ass of the seat in curves without getting fatigued as a side benefit.

By maintaining a defecit on calories, I just don't want to get rail-thin again...183 lbs in 2005 was pretty nasty.

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    If you attached a pic people could advise better ... I am 6ft 3.5 and i went down to about 195lbs and when i look back i looked ill so at 183 you must be been a stick insect.

I'd eat under maintenance (about 500 cals a day), lift heavy and do some HIIT. Give it 6 months then check your progress.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

I don't agree with the whole pick either strength or size. I think its more like either pick definition or strength/size. If you want to look more cut and not fat then you need to lose a little but but in return you are going to lose some overall mass and some strength. IF you want to be stronger you have to get bigger too. The only times my maxes ever go up is when I am on a bulk. You have to get bigger to get stronger, makes sense.

At your weight I wouldn't worry to much, you can probably just start lifting and eating smart and start getting stronger and more defined at your weight. Your weight is actually a pretty good weight I would think. As I am 6'1" and my goal by years out is 200 and weigh 180 now. So at your height your weight is pretty good to start out at.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Wannabebig Member
    I just started to hit the gym, luckly i have a buddy that been lifting for a while to help me out.