The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Shin splints

Shin splints

I just started playing basketball on a team 2 weeks ago. I used to play a lot, but not for a few years. I have put on about 30lbs over the past few years. After running a few full court games 2 days in a row I have the worst shin splints. Is this because I haven't played for a while? Is the added weight partly the reason for this? I am resting my legs until they feel better. Will this be reoccuring or will they stop once I get used to all that running again? Is rest, ice and asprin the only way to heal shin splints? I play football also and I don't ever get shin splints. It must be all the cutting and changing direction of basketball. Any input appreciated. Thanks.
    6' 1" 225lbs 24 years old

Starting a serious cut.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    In my past experience with shin splints (though it has been a while) is they usually manifest the most after a long bout of inactivity, which seems to fit the situation you decribe above. I think the best medicine for them is rest which you also stated you were doing. I might suggest a gradual increase in activity once your shins feel better instead of full out basketball games right off the bat. Easing your way back in will help prevent a reoccurence. If they persist you probably should have a doctor look at them but thats just my opinion....
    Last edited by Rav; 11-01-2007 at 08:16 AM.

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    I used to get shin splints from playing alot of football (soccer) but after i bought some heel inserts i was cured!

They are sort of like a cushion for the heel and it absorbs a lot of the shock when you run and jump.

Basically the hard surface when playing basketball is the problem so the inserts should counteract this. Also the extra weight while running is increasing the pressure on the heels hence more shin pain.

Take some anti inflam tabs and rest for a week. Get some inserts and you will be good to go.
    Last edited by leetuck; 11-01-2007 at 09:18 AM.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

i've iced my calf area for about 10 minutes when i can and my shin splints have almost completely gone away in about 2 weeks...

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

shin splints result from "extra pounding" to the extensor digitorum; the tendons on the dorsal aspect of the foot. Get a pair of custom made foot orthotics for the arch support and the extra cushioning. Supporting the arch should take care of it