Thread: new rules of lifting vs. ripptoes starting strength

Hybrid View

new rules of lifting vs. ripptoes starting strength

For those of you that have read NROL and starting strength, which do you think has better routines. I've been doing the NROL routines now for about 6 months, and I have been getting some great gains from it. The routines are INTENSE. Every time I come home from the gym, my ass is WHOOPED. After reading a lot about the popularity of the Bill Starr and Ripptoe routines though, I'm starting to think that the NROL routines may be a bit overkill.

The Ripptoe routine has only 3 lifts per workout, and it has only 1 set of deadlifts. It just simply doesn't seem like enough especially with only 1 set of deads, but everyone here says it's a great workout. I'm just wondering what everyones thoughts are.

You've already answered your question. Rippetoe's is a better routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    You've already answered your question. Rippetoe's is a better routine.
    You're the one who told me about the supercompensation theory, aren't you? Well, NROL has been working well for me, and many people would say why stop what's been working? Well, I'm going with the majority opinion here, and everyone is saying full-body, 3x per week is the way to go for maximum muscle mass, so I'll give it a shot.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of Bill Starr's routine instead (just because it has more sets of deadlifts, and I really like deadlifts). People say to do Rippetoe's routine before Bill Starr's, but NROL is pretty intense so I think it's fair to say 6 months of it is a good enough "break-in" to prepare me for Bill Starr's routine.

The only thing I don't understand is where is the "deload" part of the routines? I thought that high intensity routines usually have a deloading period to allow for some recovery? Ripptoe and Bill Starr's routines progressively add weights each week, so there's no recovery period (Just getting back to the whole supercompensation vs. dual factor thing).

Personally the rippetoe routine gets me pretty 'whooped', and I wouldn't say its easy by any means!

On the days where you squat, bench and dead in the same workout, I'm exhausted! As for the 1x5 deadlift in rippetoes; there are warm up sets beforehand so you get a decent chance to enjoy them!

If you've got 6 months of NROL behind you then the Starr 5x5 might be a better option, depends on how much the initial 'noobie' gains have worn off. If you're still in the phase where you feel you could add weight to the exercises each week then go for Rippetoe I say.
    Cobra, Curry and the Gibson Flying V.

Quote Originally Posted by Beno79 View Post
    Personally the rippetoe routine gets me pretty 'whooped', and I wouldn't say its easy by any means!

On the days where you squat, bench and dead in the same workout, I'm exhausted! As for the 1x5 deadlift in rippetoes; there are warm up sets beforehand so you get a decent chance to enjoy them!

If you've got 6 months of NROL behind you then the Starr 5x5 might be a better option, depends on how much the initial 'noobie' gains have worn off. If you're still in the phase where you feel you could add weight to the exercises each week then go for Rippetoe I say.
    Well, I'm pretty much maxed out on bench. With Squats, I can go heavier, but my form is slipping, so I'm going to decrease the weight and work on my form, plus I'm going to start deep squatting instead of just going to parallel. I'd say that I'm good to go with the Bill Starr routine.

Just one thing though. I still don't understand where the recovery time is with either routine. If you're steadily increasing the intensity each week, then there is no deloading periods. What's the deal with that? I did order Ripptoe's book today so maybe it will explain a little bit more there.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Just one thing though. I still don't understand where the recovery time is with either routine. If you're steadily increasing the intensity each week, then there is no deloading periods. What's the deal with that? I did order Ripptoe's book today so maybe it will explain a little bit more there.
    Linear periodization works well for newbies. There's no need for a "deload" exactly, just set the weight back a few weeks when you plateau and run at your max again.

Why all the focus on Starr's 5x5 on this forum anyway? Madcow's linear 5x5 is a much better variation IMO.

Gotcha, thanks. I'm glad you told me about that supercompensation theory. That's interesting stuff. I can't wait to get this Rippetoe book and get started on these full body routines.

I just googled the Madcow's linear 5x5, and it just says that it's the same thing as Bill Starr's routine (It's just a template basically)

http://forum.dutchbodybuilding.com/f...lifters-63773/

Is this ^^^^ the version that you're talking about Kastro? That is the exact version I'm going to be doing.

Edit: Nevermind, I see the Dual Factor version and the linear version now, after searching some more. I'll be doing the linear one.
    Last edited by brihead301; 11-06-2007 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    http://forum.dutchbodybuilding.com/f...lifters-63773/

Is this ^^^^ the version that you're talking about Kastro? That is the exact version I'm going to be doing.

Edit: Nevermind, I see the Dual Factor version and the linear version now, after searching some more. I'll be doing the linear one.
    Yes, that's what I was talking about, although he has his own site dedicated to it that probably explains everything in a bit more detail. It's not exactly the same as Starr's 5x5... like I said, it's a variation, and better in my opinion.