The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member
    Hey guys. I'm sure a lot of you guys use http://www.musclemag.com, my username there is ALearner. In either case, I tried doing dead lifts today and I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. Nevertheless, before I attempt to do it again can anyone out there explain to me how to do deadlifts? I know it might be hard to put the excersize in words, but if any of you guys can do it or make an attempt I will appreciate it.

Cheers!
    al
    All of us here at this websites are the good fellas. Lift heavy, eat lean, sleep like your snoralax .

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Second time I posted this link today, but hey, it's a good site

http://www.stumptuous.com/baddl.html
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Load the bar with a proper weight for you. Start the movement with your feet underneath the bar spaced at about 8-12" apart (depending on your height). Grasp the bar with a staggered grip. One hand with the palm down and the other with the palm up. Your arms should be touching your outer thighs. Keep you lower back arched. Start the movement by thrusting with your thighs. Keep the bar as close to your body as possible as you lift the weight. Raise the weight until you are in an fully erect position. Then reverse the process to lower the weight under full control and repeat for 6-8 reps. Hope this helps.

By the way, if you find you are very weak in this movement relative to your strength in squats, sumo style deadlifts may be best for you.

Wannabebig Member
    WOW!!!!That was THE QUICKEST 2 responses I've ever gotten. Thanks Anthony. Thanks Chris Mason, I know you from http://www.musclemag.com.

Cheers guys!
    al

p.s.
    Nobody answered the donut question .

p.p.s.
    Hulk, if you read this, thanks for inviting me onto the site.

All of us here at this websites are the good fellas. Lift heavy, eat lean, sleep like your snoralax .

I wannabebig!
    you can also try this site which has animated demos on almost all exercises with descriptions

http://gymamerica.com/gymamerica/exe...imated_demos/1,3124,,00.html

Donut, you could also try out these links for some variety...

main list

deadlift description

Hope these help ya out too !

[Edited by Hulk on 01-18-2001 at 05:06 AM]

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the reply guys. I was wondering if any of you guys have STRONG recommendations on any excersizes to expand the BACK and LATS. I would like to make my upper body look wider so that my hips seem smaller. Ultimately, like anybody, I would like to have a relatively nice V shapped upper body.

So far, my back day consists of the following:

Warm-up: Wide arm pull ups, 2x failure.

Bent over rows 3x10
    Deadlifts 3x10
    DB Bent over rows 3x10
    Shruggs 3x12
    One handed DB raises (lats) 3x10
    Pull overs 3x10

there are days when I'll do all these excersizes and there are weeks where I do 4 out of the 6 excersizes, but the next time I do my back, I rotate an exercize out and replace it with another.

e.g. one day I will do Deadlifts, bent over rows, DB bent over rows and shruggs. The following week I'll rotate DB bent over rows out and put in on handed DB raises (lats) etc.

What are your opinions on my routine? Am I overtraining sometimes? Am I missing a vital excersize that will help me achieve me goal? Any help is welcomed and a good joke is expected too!

Cheers!
    al

Include a vertical pull (pullup, chin, pulldown) other than the warmup sets.

Make sure your poundage is progressing, and nutrition is in order.

Paul,

What do you think about his warm ups to failure? I would personally around 8 reps of light weight to prevent so much lactic acid before I even begin.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

whoops... I didn't notice that.

Don't do warm ups to failure. That isn't a warmup.

For back day - if I'm starting with pullups, I do a quick couple of minutes on the bike, then do a set of VERY light pulldowns and a set of VERY light seated rows... I do 8 reps or so with a weight I could probably do for 15-20.

Then I stretch a bit, and do the real work.

I'f I'm starting with anything else, I'll just use light sets of it as a warmup after the bike.

Before I injured my shoulder which made chins an unhappy exercise for me, I used to start every workout with 2-3 sets of wide-grip chins to failure. Chins are an exercise that you don't need to warmup for. I think chins did wonders for my lats and I could always follow them with heavy rows. I think you are doing way too much for your back. Drop the deadlifts, pick one rowing exercise (preferably not bent-over rows) and choose one form of pulldown. So try something like this if you want a big back:

chins 2-3 sets x failure
    t-bar rows 2 sets to failure (after 1-2 warmups)
    v-bar pulley pulldowns 2 sets to failure

Wannabebig Member
    Chris Mason. Thanks for the reply, my friend does wide arm pull ups and he said that'll stretch out your back for you nicely. He also has a friend who's a gymnists who said he did around 300 pull ups a day by doing sets of 7 throughout the day. In either case, I was wondering if you're only suggesting to do 3 excersizes for my back? I'm used to doing 4 excersizes regularly (not including the warm up wide arm pullups)

Thanks again!

Cheers!
    al

Wannabebig Member
    Chris Mason. I was wondering why did you advise to drop bent over rows? Is it because there's more injury prone when doing that excersize? Thanks again!

Cheers!
    al

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Just eat the damn donut already!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

By the way, I would eat the donut----unfortunately! I recommend dropping the bent-over rows because I think they are an overrated exercise. Yes I am recommending 3 exercises for your back. I think your current routine is overkill. Perform 2 heavy sets to failure with each exercise. I would only recommend a warmup on whatever rowing exercise you do. You will be thoroughly warmed-up by the last exercise.

Wannabebig Member
    LOL!!!! I don't know, the donut looks a little moldy now so I think I'll just leave it.....

Again thanks for the reply Mason. I started doing bent over rows because I was on the Crew team and you definitely need a strong back for that sport. And if you're not too familiar with the sport Crew, it's the rowing sport with 4 1,2,4, or 8 rowers with one cockswain screaming your ear drums through. In either case, as soon as I did bent over rows the next day my back was sore and it felt tight. In either case, I appreciate the advise, but it works pretty well for me.

I guess the other reason why I'm doing so many excersizes is because I was hoping to target specific areas of my back, e.g. upper back, lower back, and my lats. I'll definitely try out your suggestions Mason, no harm in trying and I'm sure you know what you're talking about.

By the way, do you have any strict excersizes for my lats? Name them all if you can and tell me which ones work best for you and why?, I'd appreciate it.

I know there is a lot said here and I'm happy with what ever I get in response.

Cheers!
    Donut!!!!!!!!

Are you still a competitive rower?

What do you mean by "strict" exercises for your lats?

Wannabebig Member
    This past semester I couldn't afford the time to row on crew again. Another factor in not returning to the sport was because I did not want to deal with the novices (they actually did not respect the veterans that much) and the politics of the executive board (e.g. captains), despite the small scale of the politics. I love the sport nevertheless. Being on the water at 5 AM in the morning (if you're lucky enough not to be running) Because of Crew and my dedication to going to the gym (and eating everything in sight) I gained 25 lbs. That last year I almost benched 185 lbs (not a lot, but it's good for me). However, over the summer I was working 98 hours a week at two jobs, so I had no time to keep up at the gym. I lost 10 lbs and was severly weaker. I weighed in at 170 by the beginning of sophomore year and I could barely do 135....really embarrassing. Anywho, I'm feeling 'it' now that I've been going to the gym regularly again. In either case. I miss Crew a lot, it was a peaceful sport, at the same time greuling workout.

Back to what I was asking about the Lats. I was wondering what excersizes focused on the Lats because I want to expand my back and I read that your lats will make you look wider if you expand them. Of course it's one of many things that will make you look wider, I just have a failing when it comes to Lats.

Any responses guys? Mason? Hulk? Missabs? Anyone everyone.

Cheers!
    al

Just about any rowing movement works the lats nicely. Any form of a pulley pulldown, chins, and pullover exercises. If you do the routine I suggested to you with the proper fervor you will get a big back. I used that routine with excellent results. The reason I asked about rowing is because there is a lot of debate about weight lifting as a training adjunct to the sport of rowing.

I would be careful on what grip you use and how long you use it for.I would suggest starting with a pronated grip and then mix it up.Using a mix grip for too long can cause a shearing effect on the lower spine so if you are using it,mix it up with the other grips.

Another thing,when doing deads try not to start in a below parellel squat position as this places the back in a compromising position.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Originally posted by Hulk
    Donut, you could also try out these links for some variety...

main list

deadlift description

Hope these help ya out too !

[Edited by Hulk on 01-18-2001 at 05:06 AM]
    I will bump this b/c I can never find those ******* demos when I need them.