Thread: Pain in Forearm

Pain in Forearm

Hey I've been doing seated preacher curls for a long time and now i have shooting pains in my forearm when im doing them. Does anyone know why? Are there any alternative exercises to do for biceps?

thanks,

Jtrink

Quote Originally Posted by jtrink View Post
    Hey I've been doing seated preacher curls for a long time and now i have shooting pains in my forearm when im doing them. Does anyone know why? Are there any alternative exercises to do for biceps?

thanks,

Jtrink
    does it hurt the most when you put the bar down and let go. Does it feels like shin splints in your forearms? or even a pain in the bone.

I that pain a couple of time over the past 5 years. The more you continue what your doing the worse its going to get and longer it will take to recover.

If I were you I would stop preacher curls right away and avoid curls. take a break on forearms and bicep workouts. Then start all over do compound moments for biceps like chins then dumbbell curls then on to barbell curls then find a new way of doing preacher curls or it could happen again.

When I got those pains I saw a Dr. and he told me that the tendons around my forearms were getting inflamed and putting pressure on the nerves.
    Last edited by ExtremePullups; 11-05-2007 at 09:34 AM.

Yeah, I know.....Its huge Ockhams_Razor's Avatar
    i used to have the same thing, i can do any exercise i want, but seated preacher curls would be impossible, the pain in my forearm was unberable. just drop them and find different bicep exercises, there are plenty to choose from.
    "Only advantage of having a larger ROM in the gym is to punch newbies who try to steal your equipment." -mikey4402

is it a straight bar or an ez curl bar? I find that the ez curl bar is not as stressful on the forearms.

Just do some heavy chinups.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

yeh i do a lot of heavy chinups... It was just a curling bar. The pain happens after I bring the bar back up. Its just annoying because I was finally lifting heavy on barbell curls and wasn't having problems until a day or so ago. Oh well. Time to start doing some hammer curls and compound exercises... thanks for the input.

I've had the same experience, that pain comes and goes. The most successful solution is to stop doing them for awhile and then pick it up again after a month or two.

Some of the other things I've tried with 'some' success are:

(when I used to wear gloves) Taking my gloves off and holding them fully between my hands and the bar. This seemed to give my grip a bit of allowance for a slightly different angle and a bit of cusioning, which seemed a bit better.

It also allowed me to hold the bar tighter. I found that if I focussed on squeezing the bar hard with my hands it provided some reduction in the pain in my forearms.

I also found that letting the bar go slowly when you are done makes, takes the edge off a bit.

Don't get me wrong, if it gets outright painful, just stop, but if the pain is a passing annoyance, then try some of those things.

Good luck.
    "Hope is a good comforter in the hour of danger, and when men have something else to depend upon, although hurtful, she is not ruinous. But when her spendthrift nature has induced them to stake their all, they see her as she is in the moment of their fall, and not till then."
    - The Athenians to the Melians