Thread: A Suggested Routine For Getting Shredded

Banned

A Suggested Routine For Getting Shredded - What Do You Think?

Here is a suggested routine to retain muscle via constant stimulation, and burn fat via its high intensity nature. Tell me what you think! EDIT: You do 1 set of each exercise then move to another, and repeat this 3 times, so you'll have done each exercise 3 times in all.

Monday
    All Exercises With 1 Warm Up Set
    Deadlift, Dumbell Bench Press, Shoulder Press, EZ Bar Curl, Leg Extensions, Slow Ab Crunches, Low Rows (hammer rows, whatever you call ‘em), Reverse Chins, Skull Crushers 6 Mins on Rower – Do This Entire Routine 3 Times, Like Circuit Training.

Tuesday
    T Bar Rows, Lateral Raises, Simultaneous Dumbell Curls (Seated), Dumbell Deadlifts (cross between a squat and deadlift, with dumbbell between legs), Ab Crunch Machine, Reverse Flyes, Wide Lat Pulldown, Thigh Curls, Tricep Pushdowns, 6 Mins On Stepper - Do This Entire Routine 3 Times, Like Circuit Training.

Wednesday
    Squats, Incline Smith Machine Press, Shrugs, Hanging Leg Lifts, Straight Legged Deadlifts, Dips, Standing Straight Bar Curls, 6 Mins on Ascent Trainer.

Thursday
    Deadlift, Dumbell Bench Press, Shoulder Press, EZ Bar Curl, Leg Extensions, Slow Ab Crunches, Low Rows (hammer rows, whatever you call ‘em), Reverse Chins, Skull Crushers 6 Mins on Rower – Do This Entire Routine 3 Times, Like Circuit Training.

Friday
    T Bar Rows, Lateral Raises, Simultaneous Dumbell Curls (Seated), Dumbell Deadlifts (cross between a squat and deadlift, with dumbbell between legs), Ab Crunch Machine, Reverse Flyes, Wide Lat Pulldown, Thigh Curls, Tricep Pushdowns, 6 Mins On Stepper - Do This Entire Routine 3 Times, Like Circuit Training.

What do you think? Will it work? Or should I stick to a more traditional workout plan?
    Last edited by Marnie; 11-06-2007 at 04:48 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnie View Post
    Here is a suggested routine to retain muscle via constant stimulation, and burn fat via its high intensity nature. Tell me what you think! EDIT: You do 1 set of each exercise then move to another, and repeat this 3 times, so you'll have done each exercise 3 times in all.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday
    Squats, Incline Smith Machine Press, Shrugs, Hanging Leg Lifts, Straight Legged Deadlifts, Dips, Standing Straight Bar Curls, 6 Mins on Ascent Trainer.

Thursday

Friday

What do you think? Will it work? Or should I stick to a more traditional workout plan?

Utterly pointless and easily one of the worst routines I have seen. Dangerous lifts, isolation exercises, too much volume (129 sets per week?) far too little rest...

Diet will get you "shredded" There is NO routine for that. Do not do the above routine if you wish your joints and CNS to stay healthy.

I've heard you should do low volume heavy weights if you're cutting. Something to do with a lower amount of glycogen available for your muscles. Your goal in a cut is to preserve strength (maybe even gain!), while losing fat.

The training isn't where you're losing the weight. The refridgerator is where you lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    I've heard you should do low volume heavy weights if you're cutting. Something to do with a lower amount of glycogen available for your muscles. Your goal in a cut is to preserve strength (maybe even gain!), while losing fat.

The training isn't where you're losing the weight. The refridgerator is where you lose weight.

Getting 'shredded' will be determined by your diet, given the fact that you have a good amount of muscle under your fat.

if you want something high intensity, take up CrossFit

as was already stated, getting "shredded" hinges more on your diet
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

That workout would make me want to cry. You would never leave the gym. As this may sound like a cool thing and a pride thing like I workout 3 hours a day. Its actually a bad thing. You should not overwork your muscles. 3 times a week for a hour at a time is what most people do. You can do more days but each exercise should last less. Pretty much try avoiding going to the gym more then 4 hours a week. well not including cardio if your into cardio you can probably be ok with like 7 hours a week. Just don't make the mistake of working out for 2 hours a night every night because your not going to see gains if you body can't recover.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Use this to get shredded:

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Simplify and win.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder View Post
    if you want something high intensity, take up CrossFit

as was already stated, getting "shredded" hinges more on your diet
    I hace never understood Crossfit. I even went on the site, and that didn't explain it either, it merely blabbed on about how amazing it was, without saying how it got these results.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Why do you think this will work better than a more traditional approach?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doobs View Post
    Why do you think this will work better than a more traditional approach?
    Just the constant muscle stimulation, and the fact it'd be very hgih intensity.

Banned
    I have found my body to respond best to high amounts of stimulation. I need to smash it. I can't just train once and hope my body doesn't go catabolic, I need to constantly remind it to keep that muscle.

Sure, but you need to be able to repair the damage.

<shrugs>

If you already know what you're going to do, why ask?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Sure, but you need to be able to repair the damage.

<shrugs>

If you already know what you're going to do, why ask?
    I'm not going to follow this routine, I put it up here to help me decide if I should, as I had doubts. See my new topic, this is a routine I designed myself....

Just the constant muscle stimulation, and the fact it'd be very hgih intensity.
    If that kind of training works for you, then go ahead and do it. I think the MO here on this forum is to do low volume, heavy weights for cutting, but I'm no expert on cutting. I just don't like circuit-style training, and I have a hard time seeing how it fits in with anyone's goals. I can think of a couple situations, but if your only goal is to get lean, lifting heavier would be better.

Eat less.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I'm not going to follow this routine, I put it up here to help me decide if I should, as I had doubts. See my new topic, this is a routine I designed myself....
    I think you need to stop designing your own routines, then, and follow one put together by someone who knows what they're doing. No offense. Unless you are seriously juicing, there is no way you will make optimal progress on the routine you posted. Even then, probably not.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I think you need to stop designing your own routines, then, and follow one put together by someone who knows what they're doing. No offense. Unless you are seriously juicing, there is no way you will make optimal progress on the routine you posted. Even then, probably not.
    It was designed by a personal trainer with 2 degrees at my gym. I am beginning to think his degrees count for **** really, he still tells me smith machine squats are better than free weight squats as they focus more on the quads....

is your trainer big and ripped or does he have clients that are big and ripped? if you anwsered yes to either one of these questions move on to this ---

do trainers make more money if you keep coming back to them? yes

how do they keep you coming back? do you think that trainers would have a job if they gave every client all of the anwsers and the quickest way to get results? no

so, which advice do you want now?
    Sarvamangalam!

Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    is your trainer big and ripped or does he have clients that are big and ripped? if you anwsered yes to either one of these questions move on to this ---

do trainers make more money if you keep coming back to them? yes

how do they keep you coming back? do you think that trainers would have a job if they gave every client all of the anwsers and the quickest way to get results? no

so, which advice do you want now?
    He's a natural bodybuilder; one of the best I've ever seen. I agree though, he may be ****ting me on the high reps.

so given that you may not trust what he is giving you why is there a problem?
    Sarvamangalam!