The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Correct Deadlift Technique Revision

I assume that this has been covered a million times in the past however, due to a lack of good information on the internet through searches so far, and a lack of experienced deadlifters to talk to in person on form, could we please revise the correct principles for a safe and effective deadlift.

I was at the gym before and I met a guy that was doing some OK weight with deads and he seemed to think that I had made some mistakes in my technique.

However, I was not entirely convinced that he was doing it correctly either.

I have started to get into the 250 - 300 lbs range and I dont want to go any further until I am sure that I have the right form which wont ruin my back.

What are the most important things to pay attention to ?

tks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

your back should stay straight throughout the entire lift, you should go slowly up and down so that you don't use momentum and hurt yourself. You need to keep the bar touch your legs at all times, without using your legs to hold the bar up for you. You want to look forward and slightly up, but not straight up. You can use and over/under grip if you want, but make sure to do an even number of sets, switching which hand is over and under every set. a regular grip will also work fine.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I agree with almost nothing GB said.

It depends on what you want to get out of them. If you want your deadlift strength to go up, you have to rip that bar off the floor as hard as possible. Speed will definitely help the initial pull. You have to try and keep your chest up, which will keep your back from rounding and head up. Mixed grip is almost always a must for heavy lifting. Chalk makes a big difference too. Make sure your butt isn't the first thing to come up, keep it down and drive your hips forward.

Another thing I learned is don't take a lot of time down messing around with the bar. Get your feet set, than take in a deep breath and do 3 things quickly:

1-dip
    2-grip
    3-rip

DEADLIFTS!!!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by LATMAN

1-dip
    2-grip
    3-rip
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I understand that part but the question that I have in particular concerns the return to the floor.

For example, I noticed that this guy was dropping it right to the floor and starting a new lift including a half squat for every rep. - So he half-squats on the way up and then half-squats on the way down.

I personally only involve a half squat with the initial lift and for the return, instead of squatting halfway to the floor, I lower it with a slight to medium bend in the legs, back straight and head up until the plates are a few inches off the floor, then back again to the top of the lift.

It just seems to me like the half squat for every rep takes almost all of the work out for the back.
    Last edited by Shocker; 03-10-2002 at 11:53 PM.

Ahhh, this is what a lot of these "bodybuilders" are doing these days. If you are all about TUT, even with your deads, than I guess that's fine. If you want to increase your deadlift for the sake of strength, make sure you are ripping the bar from the floor everytime. You can even do a each rep as though it was its own single, resetting each time and starting over.

When I do sldl and want to apply as much as the movement to my hamstrings as possible, I will only bring the bar down to the lower-middle part of my shin and then reverse the movement. This is how I keep my back from rounding and keep as much emphasis on the hammies.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Well said bro!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Originally posted by LATMAN

Another thing I learned is don't take a lot of time down messing around with the bar. Get your feet set, than take in a deep breath and do 3 things quickly:

1-dip
    2-grip
    3-rip

DEADLIFTS!!!
    ahh...cool
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Getting the bar off the floor for the first rep is the hardest part, in my opinion. Which is why once I get the bar up for the first time I won't bring it back down to touch the floor (maybe an inch above). I don't like to rest my muscles during a set (you don't do this in any other exercise, so why start). And once you let the bar rest its so much harder to get it moving again (which is why the first rep is so hard).

I'd encourage bringing the bar all the way back down to the ground after each rep, don't pause for more than a quarter of a second, but this at least enables you adjust yourself quickly.

When doing deadlifts, always think about driving through your heals, don't lean forward. And keep the bar close to your shins, but it doesn't have to be touching at every second (otherwise you'll bang your knees with the bar).

I agree more with LATMAN's comments about ripping it up.

Originally posted by Leviathan
    I'd encourage bringing the bar all the way back down to the ground after each rep, don't pause for more than a quarter of a second, but this at least enables you adjust yourself quickly.

When doing deadlifts, always think about driving through your heals, don't lean forward. And keep the bar close to your shins, but it doesn't have to be touching at every second (otherwise you'll bang your knees with the bar).

I agree more with LATMAN's comments about ripping it up.
    I think some of it is personal preference. You can probably do less weight if you take it to the floor, so it's less of an ego boost maybe, but I say do it all the way to the ground, my man! This would be best for general physical preparedness, and IMHO, make you grow better. In real life you don't lift stuff from knee height nearly as much as from the floor.

Just my worthless opinion.
    There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back.

Originally posted by aikigreg

I think some of it is personal preference. You can probably do less weight if you take it to the floor, so it's less of an ego boost maybe, but I say do it all the way to the ground, my man! This would be best for general physical preparedness, and IMHO, make you grow better. In real life you don't lift stuff from knee height nearly as much as from the floor.

Just my worthless opinion.
    That's true, which I why I don't really see the point of partial deadlifts (although some will argue otherwise). Deadlifts are somewhat practical in terms on real world movements. However, are any of the other exercises? I can't remember the last time I did a bench press to lift something up. I don't think the gym is meant to mimic practical movements anyways... just my $.02...

I perform variations of partial deads to strengthen different areas of my deadlift.

My ultimate goal is to increase my 1rm deadlift from the floor, but you have to work your weaknesses to do that.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

the difference that I notice between going part the way to the ground and all the way to the ground is the extent to which the knees are bent for the lower part of the negative.

Does anyone else agree?

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I have to do deads on a platform because I'm so short the 45lb plates make it impossible to start from the correct position. Sucks, dunnit?

I don't get what you are saying Budiak? How can you be too short to pull from the ground??
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I think he means the radius of the plates are a larger percentage of his overall height than a taller person, thus limiting his range of motion from the ground to the top of the lift.

Which would be a great thing and should only help you increase your deadlift. I am short myself (5'7") and have never thought I was too short too deadlift from the ground.
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Well, yes, he does have an advantage in that he doesn't have to move the weight as far as a taller lifter. However, I'm assuming he's not a powerlifter and is looking for mass gains so he's trying to maximize his range of motion. Just an assumption though...