Thread: Bulking - Cutting Schedules?

Bulking - Cutting Schedules?

I know this might be a routine question, but Ive done some searches and havent come up with the answer I was hoping for. Im sure each answer is specific to the person as well.

Im 5'8 and 185. I dont today have a BMI report or anything like that, but should in a few weeks here. Im "huskier" than your average 5'8 guy and have been in the gym regularly for the last few months working with a modified adaptation of the first two routines given here at WBB with some great results. For the time being all that I have done in regards to diet has been to eat healthier and smaller quantities. I havent taken a specific direction of bulking vs cutting, although it would most likely be bulking as Im guessing I typically have a surplus of cals. Ive set goals for Feb and then for May for fat burn and greater definition (basically your beach-bod ideals.)

My question is, how do you typically set your bulking-cutting routines? Ive definately added definition to my pecs and a few other areas, but still have stomach fat, etc. Im wondering how long I should continue to bulk before cutting...or if I should cut now and then return to a "cleaner" bulk if such a thing truly exists. Im trying for fat loss for Feb and then muscle gains and some fat loss for May.

Any thoughts or constructive help would be greatly appreciated.

Banned
    pictures would help.

There's no reason to eat more than a few hundred (~500) calories above maintenance. There's only so much muscle your body can synthesize at one time. Excess will be stored as fat.

The trick is tuning your diet to this point, it can be somewhat hard if you don't understand yet how your body responds to training and dieting.

These wild bulking and cutting cycles people talk about on this site are probably done for the most part in very unhealthy ways, bulking with 'unclean' food and cutting with a diet that is not sufficient to support one's immune system or give one energy to do well in day to day life.
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 11-23-2007 at 02:17 PM.

Hopefully Ill have some pictures on the way shortly I guess part of what Im asking is what would be a good schedule of bulking and cutting? 3 months of bulking to 1 month cutting, etc.