The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Remembrance Day ramblings from a sentimental old woman

From yesterday:

Remembrance Day here in Canada. My husband and I went to the downtown Vancouver ceremony at Victory Square. It rained; somehow it just isn’t right if it doesn’t rain for Remembrance Day celebrations. In a way, the cold grey splatter of rain is a comfort for those of us who cry in the open without shame.

I always have such mixed feelings on Remembrance Day. Today is no different. War itself seems such a terrible waste of resources, energy, money, and life. And still, we must hate the war but love the warriors. Their country called and they stood up for all of us.

Nothing in this world demonstrates more clearly our colossal failure to communicate on a global level than war. It is to our profound shame as citizens of this planet that to this day, with all the technology we have developed, we can still feel such unbearable disagreement with each other on a national level that we send our fittest and most promising youth out to kill each other.

There are windows in the eyes of old soldiers. During these ceremonies, if you are brave enough to look, there are a few short moments when these heroes feel brave enough to let you glimpse the horror they remember, the horror they fought to keep you from ever having to see. I see the soldiers’ windows open up and I break down into pieces. I cannot bear to be this brave for even a moment, and still, I am grateful for the glimpse. It lets me appreciate their sacrifice, and how sweet and beautiful my life has been because of it.

Standing there out in the rain, I feel a light wash of responsibility glance over me. I somehow feel the need to be mindful of my posture. My strong body stiffens to a soldier’s stance; we all do this, I think; all of us transmogrify momentarily into soldiers of some real or imagined battle – just pick a war; the players and the reasons change but the process is always driven by the same machine. In unison, our eyes follow the tight formation of the commemorative flypast. I forget to breathe.

My feet are planted firmly in the muddy ground while child-like, during this short hiccup on a grey November day, I play-act in my mind how it might feel to be a soldier. I stand, shell-shocked, looking over a troop of kindred spirits. My undisciplined mind contemplates my make-believe battles in the gym, where I prepare for combat with imaginary foes as I push myself a little harder, where conjured rage mixes with a little bit of very real fear as I get under a bar that threatens to be more than I can lift – but only if I let it win.

It is such a farce, this iron battle fought by a paper soldier. I feel so small. Nothing I do in my soft, comfortable life can ever mimic the acrid reality of one battlefield minute.

Small children – not yet aware of why they are in a muddy field in the rain, listening to guns and bagpipes – are hushed and soothed by parents who likely never knew war themselves.

Thank God.

It is our collective responsibility that this newest generation carries forward the memory that ensures not one soldier died in vain. We owe them that much.

We owe them so much more than this.

We can never repay this debt.

The persistence of memory across time gives their sacrifice meaning. In fact, it is the only thing that ever can.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

<applause>
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

That was very poignant, Maryanne. You have a real way with words, and your sentiments pulled on my heartstrings, too - how tragic that in this day and age, war is still a reality. Let us all pray for the day when it is just a bad memory.

(ps was that an intentional Salvador Dali reference at the end?)
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
    Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
    Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
    And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
    Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
    But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
    Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
    Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
    Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
    But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
    And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .
    Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
    As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
    In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
    He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
    Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
    And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
    His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
    If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
    Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
    Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
    Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
    My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
    To children ardent for some desperate glory,
    The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
    Pro patria mori.

--Wilfred Owen, 1917

That was fantastic Built, though I thought my step dad told me Canadians didn't celebrate Rememberance day. Opens your eyes up to think about it in that way "a failure of global communication".

Dulce Et Decorum Est, probably one of my favourite poems of all times.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Combat Infantryman
    Well said.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

tomv - thank you very much. I wonder why your stepdad said that - I've always celebrated Remembrance Day.

Bikkstah - thank you.

I dunno, he's a Canuck export however. He may have said that they celebrate rememberance day but not as many others... In Australia we've got quite a few similar things. Not saying Canada is in some way lacking or anything like that.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.