Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good lower back exercise

Good lower back exercise

So what do some of you guys suggest is a good lower back exercise?One that is done with weights.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    The Deadlift is the best exercise for your lower back. What kind of exercises are you currently doing? By "weights", do you mean dumbbells? What kind of weights do you have access to?
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 11-10-2007 at 04:20 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Deadlifts are number one

Goodmornings are also a good exercise to look into
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Banned
    Deadlifts (and all variations of), good mornings (and all variations of), reverse hypers, back hypers

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    As well as deadlifts, do squats or better still zelcher squats

Thanks for the suggestions.I have access to db's and a bar w/free weights.I have lower back pains and problems so I tend to keep it light on the deadlifts and super low weight on the good mornings and I have trouble doing squats because of balancing problems.Ill look into the hypers.

Quote Originally Posted by slovadon13 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.I have access to db's and a bar w/free weights.I have lower back pains and problems so I tend to keep it light on the deadlifts and super low weight on the good mornings and I have trouble doing squats because of balancing problems.Ill look into the hypers.
    Let's not look into the hypers....when I was younger I thought I had back pains also. Ever since I started squatting, deadlifting, doing standing exercises I don't even feel like my back can get injured anymore. Start doing them both and like everyone else said good mornings also. What balancing problems do you have squatting? Start light and move up, practice makes perfect. Don't make excuses get on the bar, squat, and pull.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

Quote Originally Posted by Killa Kurt View Post
    What balancing problems do you have squatting?
    Well when I squat down my heals wanna come up and I tend to lean forward and am completely off balance,its really just something I need to work on with light weights, get the form right and then move up.

Wannabebig Member
    Here are some tips for novice squatters, and honestly I wish somebody told me to do these.

Check your shoes. Some shows naturally make you want to lean forward when you squat. I would advise Converse Chuck Taylors for you if you have a pair. There is a lot of ground contact, and because they're flat they promote pushing through your whole foot, and keeping your heel on the ground.

Look at yourself in the mirror. Look at videos on how a squat is actually done.
    What is different? Is your back straight? Is your butt getting lower than your knees or staying above.

As for the lower back exercises, keep low weight on the goodmornings. They can be terrifying at first. Do deadlifts. You may want to check out WBB1.1

Well when I squat down my heals wanna come up and I tend to lean forward and am completely off balance,its really just something I need to work on with light weights, get the form right and then move up.
    Squat barefoot if that's such a big problem. Start light and move up, same thing with deadlifts. Personally I would say to make sure you look up and NOT in the mirror.
    Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

My lower back has absolutely blown up in the past several months, and without a doubt I have deadlifts and squats to thank for that.
    Last edited by Phenom; 11-11-2007 at 07:24 PM.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Do you warm up thoroughly? I've found that stretching out my calves after my warmups but before my working sets helps me maintain heel drive. That has always been a problem for me.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Killa Kurt View Post
    Squat barefoot if that's such a big problem. Start light and move up, same thing with deadlifts. Personally I would say to make sure you look up and NOT in the mirror.
    Your heels coming up is indicative of a flexibility issue with your calves and hamstrings. In the interim, you can put barbell plates under your heels in order to get your hips back. STRETCH daily. Or more like 3x daily, and you will be able to ditch the plates under your heels.

When doing squats, it's best to keep your vision focused not UP, but at a point that would be between 6-10 feet out (without a mirror). Looking UP can cause you to arch your back, and/or bring your center of gravity forward.
    Last edited by FiveSpeedG; 11-12-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Practice with light weight--or no weight--to take a snapshot of the correct form. Take mental snapshots at every point along the way--What is your back supposed to look like coming out of the hole? At the finish? Where should your knees be, and at what angle in relation to your feet, as your rise? That way, when you are loaded, you know the motion and how it's supposed to feel.

Heels coming up is also a form issue. Squats aren't deep knee bends - they're a hip-pivoting movement. If your heels want to come off the ground I'm willing to bet money you aren't leading with your ass. Reach your ass baaaaack, as if you're trying to sit on a chair that's too far behind you. Until you get the movement, don't even bother with a back squat - use a dumbbell or a plate held in your hands, in front of you. These are called goblet squats, and they'll fix your form.

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Heels coming up is also a form issue. Squats aren't deep knee bends - they're a hip-pivoting movement. If your heels want to come off the ground I'm willing to bet money you aren't leading with your ass. Reach your ass baaaaack, as if you're trying to sit on a chair that's too far behind you. Until you get the movement, don't even bother with a back squat - use a dumbbell or a plate held in your hands, in front of you. These are called goblet squats, and they'll fix your form.
    Great advice, I love the second sentance, if only people could understand that very basic idea.

Slovadan, lots of good advice here, address your form and start on improving your overall lower body flexibility as soon as possible. Also, do you know where you back pain is coming from? Have you actually had it checked out.
    Last edited by smalls; 11-12-2007 at 12:29 PM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Rippetoe's starting strength book has the best explanation I've ever read of how to properly squat. The explanation is over 50 pages long!!! It's very easy to do squats with incorrect form. I'd recommend buying it if you want to know exactly how to do the main compound lifts.

The main things I noticed are:

1.) keep your heels about shoulder width apart, and point your toes slightly outward.
    2.) push your butt back rather then just straight down - this keeps the weight in the middle of your feet rather then on your toes.
    3.) squat down all the way, not partially. Partial squats put a lot of pressure on your knees (at least they do to mine, anyway).
    4.) Keep your knees in line with your toes. Do not let your knees cave inward.
    5.) keep your lower back arched, and your chest up. Only bend at the hips
    6.) hold the bar so that your wrists are straight, and your elbows are pointed back.

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    i really like deads, and back extensons with weight infront of me.

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I did a class called core yesterday, thinking it was going to be just about abs. However it did quite a bit of work that hit the lower back.

You could consider adding some body weight exercises, they don't even need to be done at the gym.

yeah I've been thinking I want to start working my core muscles.Anyone know where I can find some good core strengthening exercises?

Wannabebig Member
    For your core...And others feel free to chime in...

Planks
    Woodchoppers
    Bird-dogs
    Supermans
    Russian twists

...all should produce some results if you google them if you're curious about how they're done. Best part is that none of these require anything other than a solid floor and your own body

yeah I've been thinking I want to start working my core muscles.Anyone know where I can find some good core strengthening exercises?
    Same answer as the ones given. Core? Deadlifts. Or pilates, lol.

What is it that you want to acheive. That should be the basis of what it is that you do.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

In addition to all of those exercises, make sure you are using good posture during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesbytes View Post
    In addition to all of those exercises, make sure you are using good posture during the day.
    People hugely underestimate the negative effects of poor posture on pretty much every aspect of your body.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President