The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Elliptical Machines

Does anyone own an elliptical machine? If so, what kind and how do you like it? I'm not getting to the gym enough now (working out at home mostly) and haven't been keeping up with my cardio so I decided to purchase one. I went with the Schwinn 430 after reading up on some different models for a while. My mom has a Precor and I love it but they're just a tad on the expensive side. This model came with free shipping from amazon.com so all in all it was a pretty good deal.
    http://www.schwinnfitness.com/schwin...Elliptical.jsp
    Last edited by HahnB; 11-26-2007 at 04:24 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    Does anyone own an elliptical machine? If so, what kind and how do you like it? I'm not getting to the gym enough now (working out at home mostly) and haven't been keeping up with my cardio so I decided to purchase one. I went with the Schwinn 430 after reading up on some different models for a while. My mom has a Precor and I love it but they're just a tad on the expensive side. This model came with free shipping from amazon.com so all in all it was a pretty good deal.
    http://www.schwinnfitness.com/schwin...Elliptical.jsp
    I know all about them.

Tell me how much you want to spend and I'll tell you the best thing you can buy.

Precors are the best in the industry without question. Right now they're on rebate and start at $1988.00.

Can I ask why you want an elliptical? They're the most costly machines out there. I have a spinner and in my educated opinion, they are the best bang for your dollar. They last forever and you can definitely do an intense HIIT session on them.

If you are sold on getting an elliptical, check out this so you know what they're worth before you start buying into the whole "sale/bargain" price.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

That site looks good, but almost every machine I looked at was way off in terms of price. They have the 430 overpriced by 200 bucks, and the NordicTrack by almost 500 dollars. It doesn't help much when their "best in price range categories" are way off in price.

I went with the schwinn because all the reviews I read for it were good, and it was often referred to as the best in it's price range. I like the feel and motion of an eliptical, that's the main reason I want one. I don't like spinners or bikes because my legs are usually worn out before my heart rate is even elevated at all.
    Last edited by HahnB; 11-26-2007 at 04:52 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

That site looks good, but almost every machine I looked at was way off in terms of price. They have the 430 overpriced by 200 bucks, and the NordicTrack by almost 500 dollars. It doesn't help much when their "best in price range categories" are way off in price.

I went with the schwinn because all the reviews I read for it were good, and it was often referred to as the best in it's price range. I like the feel and motion of an eliptical, that's the main reason I want one. I don't like spinners or bikes because my legs are usually worn out before my heart rate is even elevated at all.
    What's "way off"? The prices listed on that site are the actual MSRP's. THOSE prices are what they're actually worth. How much did you want to spend? Keep in mind, if you're not willing to put a decent penny into an ellipticla, you're most likely going to end up with a service nightmare. There are tons of moving parts and electronics involved with them. That's why machines such as spinners and rowers are the best out there in terms of durability.

You say your legs are worn out before your heart rate is elevated? What are you using it for? Just a typical warm up before training, HIIT sessions, etc.?

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

After workout cardio session, and it wasn't after squats or deads. My point was that their figures aren't what the machines are selling for. So when they say a particular NordicTrack is best in price range of 400-699 and it really sells for 999, that doesn't help me out at all. The information seems to be out-dated in some instances.

If I can get a few years out of mine, I'll be fine because at that point I'll be able to afford something nicer. Right now I just want a good entry level machine that will suit my needs.
    Last edited by HahnB; 11-26-2007 at 05:11 PM.

After workout cardio session, and it wasn't after squats or deads. My point was that their msrp figures aren't what the machines are selling for. So when they say a particular NordicTrack is best in price range of 400-699 and it really sells for 999, that doesn't help me out at all. The information seems to be out-dated in some instances.
    I do the same. I could spend 20+ minutes on it and my legs felt no burn. Maybe you had the resistance up too high. I keep it low and pedal pretty fast. My heart rate stays at 120 BPM with no leg fatigue at all.

Exactly my point. They have "sale" prices all the time but they're crap. You live out in the U.S. correct? I don't know a whole lot of the specialty retailers down there but stick with one. Places that don't sell NoricCrap. Do not go with anything lower than a Schwinn 430. That website is updated every single day. That's marketing, though. Advertising something that's on special for a week with $500 off, but still $200 more than the MSRP.

My advice- stick to a spinner or rower. An entry level Schwinn spinner or a Concept II rower. You'll own it forever and still be able to sell it down the road for a lot.

I recommend to anyone before they buy an elliptical to jump on and try it out first. I went to a store and tried about a dozen out and the more expensive ones seem to have an odd stride to them. I actually went with a cheaper model because I liked the stride and it appeared to be built as well as I needed.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Genacide View Post
    I recommend to anyone before they buy an elliptical to jump on and try it out first. I went to a store and tried about a dozen out and the more expensive ones seem to have an odd stride to them. I actually went with a cheaper model because I liked the stride and it appeared to be built as well as I needed.
    That's one of the most important things to consider. I always recommend this to customers before purchasing one. Always try the unit out before hand because they ALL will have different motions along with stride lengths.

In your case, that is rare you found the cheaper one to feel better. What was it and what were you comparing it to?

I actually like the model at the gym better than my moms precor. I like the motion better and her precor doesn't have the moving handle bars which are a must for me.

I actually like the model at the gym better than my moms precor. I like the motion better and her precor doesn't have the moving handle bars which are a must for me.
    Why? The ellipticals without the arms are more effective and allows you burn more calories.

The elliptical you have at your gym is probably Life Fitness and yeah, they're very comparable to Precor.

What makes them more effective, how are you defining the word effective? I hate using the elipticals without moving bars.

What makes them more effective, how are you defining the word effective? I hate using the elipticals without moving bars.
    With the arms, there's a 2% increase in overall burned calories in a selected program compared to something without arms and a fixed ramp.

The Precor elliptical that your Mom owns, has the adjustable ramp which allows you to target all the muscle groups in various ways. This will allow you to stay on the unit for a longer period of time. So in turn, you end up burning more calories. The ellipticals without arms (Precor models), get your arms moving freely as if you were actually running instead of holding on.

Speaking of Life Fitness, they make some AWESOME racks.

Looks like some crazy contraption.

That bad boy is almost identical to the racks at the gym I train at. We have four of them but they aren't all fancy like that one... Custom made baby I'll find a pic

Edit:

Here's a pic... It's pretty small and is taken from above but you get the gist
    Last edited by deeder; 11-26-2007 at 11:10 PM.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    Well ive seen alot of mention about Precor up there but Ill chime in and say my family has one at home and I really enjoyed it for doing cardio as it allowed me to do something without getting raging shin splints.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

The rack is the same one I used at college. There were two of them and they were awesome, even the benches were great.

Since some of you guys seem to know about cardio equipment, any suggestions on rowers? I need something that is low end that will last a few years. BodyFitness has one that looks decent and is priced low.

Hahn, I have an elliptical, but it's a cheap one from Dick's. I definitely got what I paid for (about 200). It glides nicely, but is squeaky because it's cheap.

I think for a cardio workout you would be better off getting a rowing machine than a elliptical.

wow that's probably the best, most useful rack I've seen.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    My parents have an elliptical, i don't use it very much. It's one of those gazelle ones.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

They probably have the best racks out there. Hammer Strength stuff is pricey but awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    Since some of you guys seem to know about cardio equipment, any suggestions on rowers? I need something that is low end that will last a few years. BodyFitness has one that looks decent and is priced low.
    Yeah, save up for a Concept II. Nothing more to be said, really. It's not worth getting the lower end ones. Check craigslist everyday for one. That will be your best bet instead of buying one full price.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    My parents have an elliptical, i don't use it very much. It's one of those gazelle ones.
    Lol don't compare a Gazelle or imitations of a Gazelle to an elliptical.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    sorry, i'm an elliptical noob.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Quote Originally Posted by Cirino83 View Post
    wow that's probably the best, most useful rack I've seen.
    Yeah, just think of all the curls you could do in that bad boy.

I'm really happy with the schwinn, the motion is smooth and the quality seems to be pretty good as far as the quality of the parts. Amazon.com is amazing, this model had free shipping 5-9 business days, they ended up overnighting it to me for free. I'm not exactly sure how much it would cost to overnight a 165lb package but it can't be cheap.
    Last edited by HahnB; 12-01-2007 at 11:26 AM.

I'm really happy with the schwinn, the motion is smooth and the quality seems to be pretty good as far as the quality of the parts. Amazon.com is amazing, this model had free shipping 5-9 business days, they ended up overnighting it to me for free. I'm not exactly sure how much it would cost to overnight a 165lb package but it can't be cheap.
    What's the unit you're looking at and how much is it selling for on Amazon?