The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Soca King

When is being too nice a bad thing?

When do you think being too nice is a bad thing?What I mean is when do you cross the line from simply being nice to being taken advantage of. I personally used to be a nice person where I wouldn't ask for much/anything and give of myself even if it impacts me in a negative way. But now I feel that in life you have to be somewhat selfish to get somewhere or earn respect.For a recent example I helped a friend out by lending him money for his business and he's started repaying me and I get the bonus of free DVDs and comics for the most part.I didn't ask for that but its his way of repaying me for putting my trust in him.At the time all I asked for was for him and I to be better friends*which we are* but he really wanted to do something extra for me although he told me that since he trusts me if it wouldn't have put me at such risk he would've considered making me something to the extent of being his partner.My one rule about doing favors for someone is that if I don't actually get something out of it/if it won't help me achieve or improve myself I generally won't do it.What's your stand on the nice guy/girl thing?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Be as nice as possible, while still letting people know they can't f*ck with you.

yea
    i try to be nice to people
    and i always apologize first.. but sometimes people use me because they know i will always forgive them
    i try not to be selfish and everything
    i try to make my friends happy and surprise them by doing something really nice sometimes
    but i am very sensitive and i get upset very easily
    sometimes nice people get pushed aside because they are seen as weak
    i dont like to open up to people too much
    i like to listen more
    hmm yea that is true about the favors
    but sometimes i just do them even if i go out of my way and i dont get anything out of it
    i just care about my friends so much and dont care about myself very much
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

Originally posted by kimpy225
    I used to be like this...
    But there comes a point where one realizes who they're true freinds are, and thats when everything changes. People you think are good freinds will stab you in the back, and ones you thought would always be there, are no where to be found.

I hate to be so pessimistic, but I was always the nice one.

Being too nice = not caring about your own needs enough.

Basically, being nice = weak. From the outside looking in. You just sort of have to subcontiously know where to draw the line. When being "nice" becomes a pain in the ass....you are going over the line.

If someone asks me for money, and I need that money...I say: sorry, no. If they beg, I tell them to f*ck off. If someone asks me for money, and I have some spare cash, I'll give it to them. If someone tries to exploit my kindness by continually asking for money, they get a f*ck you. You can basically insert anything in the place of money.

You prolly shouldn't take any people-skill advice from me....but I never get taken advantage of

Soca King

Well in reference to my friend

He knows that I'm gonna expect something back when I do major favors for him I won't tell him what because I trust him enough that he'll fidure out something fair and just. And about favors my mom is expecting me to possibly go to the hospital w/ my grandma if she can't make it, & instinctually I'm feeling that she thinks that I have nothing better to do then to worry about others and is using me to make things easier for her.But I do have more important things to worry about and by that I mean myself. I can't make myself a better person and make efforts to improve myself mentally, physically & financially if people are gonna keep expecting to help them out of their problems at the expense of my own time.Like the old saying goes "If you don't worry about yourself,who will" Essentially I'm the person who sometimes ask for favors from people but I won't ask at the expense of the other person.
    Last edited by Big Show; 03-11-2002 at 03:43 PM.

Originally posted by Cackerot69
    Be as nice as possible, while still letting people know they can't f*ck with you.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

A healthy balance is always preferable
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

preferable is nice yes but..
    its too hard to do sometimes
    especially when you are used to it all of the time
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

i rarely ask for favors....but i try to be as nice as possible. well until i feel uncomfortable being that nice.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

*** Wiser words couldn't be spoken. If they realize that they can take advantage of you then you better be prepared to be an asshole.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I'm nice to chicks, cause I can scrape up some houndage with the juice on, ye know what I'm sayin?

I'm nice to dudes, cause I can cornhole them with a floor lamp.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

too many meds.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Im nice, but if you **** with me ill rip your balls off.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

preferable is nice yes but..
    its too hard to do sometimes
    especially when you are used to it all of the time
    but it's worth it to try. I've learned that people have more respect for me if I have more respect for me.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

I try to be nice but allways end up being someones doormat
    but now that Im drinking milk and developing strong bones and a strong body, Im a much denser doormat, rougher on the feet, see if they come back, ha ha

sometimes it is worth the try but..
    that is you
    everyone is different
    i would rather cry at night than try and fail
    but thats just me
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

You prolly shouldn't take any people-skill advice from me....but I never get taken advantage of
    Actually, what you're saying makes a lot of sense to me. The occasional favor for somebody is nice- even nicer if they didn't ask for it. With experience you learn when people are taking advantage of you. Like people that you never hear from except when they want something from you. When a certain one of my relatives calls me on the phone I feel like answering, "Hello. What is it that you want from me?"
    Last edited by Delphi; 03-11-2002 at 07:17 PM.

sometimes it is worth the try but..
    that is you
    everyone is different
    i would rather cry at night than try and fail
    but thats just me
    try and fail to do what? respect yourself? That's a quality you can't go through life without, otherwise you're bound to have a very tough life. People aren't stones, things can be changed. We're at an age now where we still have development potential, and, at the risk of sounding corny, you can be whatever you want to be.

No matter how happy you make your friends, there is an inner happiness that needs to be developed that is not affected by outside influences. That's what's going to get you through the really tough times.

Originally posted by Jane
    I've learned that people have more respect for me if I have more respect for me.
    True dat.

You're impressing me lately Jane, you might even be in positive coolness points.

*calculates*

Not yet, but you're getting there

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I still need the boob shot to know if I'm truly impressed or not..
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

When you get ******* walked on or used over and over again like me. Yet i still refuse to not be nice, cause one day someone will apprechiate it.
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

dude mind if i quote you some more on that. the racist dropout sure has a way with words.
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

yea
    there are different types of respect
    fearful kinds, where people respect you and dont want to do things to hurt you
    and friend respect and so on
    it depends what kind you are looking for
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

You know, as hard as it may be, and I really struggle with it at times, you should always be nice. You can never be too kind, caring, or generous to others. Period. I know, I know, nice guys always finish last. I don't know about that, but I suppose it all depends on what you consider the finsh .