The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Beach body workout

Hey,

I want to be big - but not body builder big. I was hoping to get the model physique. Does anyone have any good routines for this. Are routines that focus on only two body parts per workout good for this type of a look - or are full body work outs the best. Right now I am on a four day program: Chest and BI, Back and Tri, legs, shoulders

Also, should I be doing hardcore cardio eventhough I am trying to put on big muscles?

Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

age, height, weight, weight lifting experience, etc etc - the more info you add the more help you'll get.

And if you find it hard to put on weight and add muscle then "hardcore cardio" probably wont help - but then I'm not actually sure what you mean by that - endurance, intervals, what do you mean?

And what's a "model physique"? That's also a bit vague.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I want to be big - but not body builder big.
    You do realize that you're not going to wake up one day huge and that you're not going to blow up by touching weights and that it takes years and years of dedication of applying the right diet and training to obtain true "bigness" and that you'd have to work your ass off with every bit of effort you had to obtain "bodybuilder big", not to mention that if you literally mean bodybuilders as in the guys in magazines that you'd need a hefty dose of drugs on top of your current hard ass work and proper dieting techniques?

You have a lot of reading to do. I suggest you start with the stickies on this site. You've had an account since April, I suggest you start reading now. As for a routine...don't make your own...you don't know how. Start with something like these routines ~>

Baby Got Back
    WBB 1.1

Your diet is about 80 percent of obtaining the results you seek. I suggest you get that down as well as your routine. Again...read read read...and then read some more.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Damn straight. I think the misinformation on how easy it is to build muscle comes largely from the kind of sensationalistic headlines you find on the front of magazines like Mens Health - "Huge Biceps in just 3 Months Routine!!!"

It's sad but I guess the muscle mag mass media often works just like the mass media in general, they need shock headlines to make you think "no way" and hand over your hard-earned cash.
    Last edited by garjagan; 11-16-2007 at 04:20 AM.

rebuilding the foundations Herandi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    You do realize that you're not going to wake up one day huge and that you're not going to blow up by touching weights and that it takes years and years of dedication of applying the right diet and training to obtain true "bigness" and that you'd have to work your ass off with every bit of effort you had to obtain "bodybuilder big", not to mention that if you literally mean bodybuilders as in the guys in magazines that you'd need a hefty dose of drugs on top of your current hard ass work and proper dieting techniques?
    well put scarz. It's funny how many people think that by working out for a couple of weeks you'll be huge.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From what I see, models are pretty skinny and have no muscle definition at all. Some have visible abs but not from being muscular, just skinny. The only model I can think of that is somewhat built is Tyson.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I agree. When I hear model physique I think of those weak looking abercrombie models that my girlfriend never shuts up about. "pecs and 8 pack OMG!!"

It angers me that most women appreciate pecs and abs more than a nice wide back and some muscular legs.
    ive never seen an abercrombie model with a set of what i would even come close to calling "pecs", abs through years of starving themselves yes, any muscular development, none existant

girls like those feminie physiques of the male models in the abercrombie photos, women like strong built men, not little boys
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Wannabebig Member
    The "model physique" is an elusive path of eating disorders, potentially dangerous supplements, niche genetic makeup and a lot of Photoshop and camera work! I get hungry every time I see an Abercrombie ad--They'd have better luck selling a starvation fund on TV than they would at selling clothes.

Putting in hard time at the gym and patience will be the building blocks. Go with the olympic-style lifts to start putting on muscle. Lifting is really an enabler for the other components involved in being fit, such as nutrition, to work.

What are your current stats? Where would you like to see them go?

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    ive never seen an abercrombie model with a set of what i would even come close to calling "pecs", abs through years of starving themselves yes, any muscular development, none existant

girls like those feminie physiques of the male models in the abercrombie photos, women like strong built men, not little boys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-WzqfbVHU

Abercrombie!!
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

Lift weights and eat right.

This is kinda my plan and I have been working at it for over a year now. Pretty much just worry about getting bigger. Once you get as big as you want to be start cutting until you get the flat abs and definition. But you won't get bigger and more built without adding weight and its all going to take time. 10 lbs of muscle a year. So if your looking at getting ripped and gaining about 30 lbs of muscle I hope you don't have any plans for the next 3 years.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Quote Originally Posted by Brad263 View Post
    10 lbs of muscle a year. So if your looking at getting ripped and gaining about 30 lbs of muscle I hope you don't have any plans for the next 3 years.
    Wtf?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad263 View Post
    This is kinda my plan and I have been working at it for over a year now. Pretty much just worry about getting bigger. Once you get as big as you want to be start cutting until you get the flat abs and definition. But you won't get bigger and more built without adding weight and its all going to take time. 10 lbs of muscle a year. So if your looking at getting ripped and gaining about 30 lbs of muscle I hope you don't have any plans for the next 3 years.

Oh dear...um no. There is no set rate to gain muscle. Everyone is different. Some people can gain those 30 lbs in a year (with assistance or great genetics this is quite possible), some will take two years...

If someone is new and pays attention to his training, rest and diet he could easily gain 20 or more pounds his first year with little fat gain.

Wannabebig Member
    I have been working out consistently for just under a year now. I also eat clean - I stick to 2 eggs in the morning, a weight gain protein shake a few hours later, followed by chicken, rice, and vegetables for lunch, and then a protein shake, and for dinner I have lots of meat and then I will usually throw in a double scooped protein shake again at night.

I am currently 6 2 at 185 with a very low bf% - The scale I use which send a electric current through my body says I have a 4% BF

My goal is to look like these guys: http://www.ithinkfit.com/meet_your_trainers.asp

Now that you have a little more information - what do I need to do in order to achieve my goal - will WWB 1.1 work for the physique?

Funny though, we don't see too many pics in the pic section of people that look a lot better than most abercrombie models I've seen. I guess everyone must be too big and ripped to post pics out of fear of embarrassing these guys.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    Funny though, we don't see too many pics in the pic section of people that look a lot better than most abercrombie models I've seen. I guess everyone must be too big and ripped to post pics out of fear of embarrassing these guys.
    I'm thinking the same thing.

Yes, many models are pretty small, but I've definitely seem some decent sized guys in magazines and such. Even if they are skinny, they all usually have good definition and look better than 95% of the rest of the population.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    The scales that said you are 4% fat .... you should throw them out the window and go buy some bodyfat calipers.

I'd pick any proven routine on here (such as WBB1.1) and make sure you are eating over maintenance. If you wanna build muscle a little faster you are gonna just have to eat more but at the expense of maybe putting more fat on.

When I started about 4 years ago i had the pretence that I was gonna get bigger easily. 3 years of crap diet showed me that without hard work and correct diet I was stuffed.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

Just lift and eat healthy. Show us some pics. We'll tell you how many Baconators you'll need to achieve your goals.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Wannabebig Member
    So did anyone check the guys out at that link... No one has given me any direct advice on how to get their build.

Do I bulk and then cut? Do I try to just build lean body mass and do a lot of cardio? etc....

You cant look like them because you are not them. You can bulk and cut to a point when your lean but even if you reach the same body fat % you wont look like them, but you still look good.

Do this and you cant go wrong-
    Train like a powerlifter, eat like a bodybuilder.

The two guys on that link are in great shape and decently sized. Depending on what you look like now it'll take years to look like them. Eat and lift. Simply bulking and cutting a couple times won't get you even close to the guys in your link.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002