The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

So Being Fat Destroys Your Deadlift?

I have heard this so many different places and seen it first hand with tons of incredible squaters who were deadlifting 100-200lbs under thier best raw squat.

And I noticed the best deadlifters arent exactly fat, Large yes, but not fat. Some are actually pretty lean like Edd Coan and Konstantine Kostanov.

So, would losing some fat help increase your deadlift?

This has been bothering me for a while but I always figured more food = bigger muscles = more weight so the question seems stupid to me. But I just gotta hear what other people think.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well, Andy Bolton has a large gut and does ok...

Some very large men are better squatters than they are deadlifters, but I think it has more to do with relative strengths than their guts.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Most of the time when you lose fat around your midsection, or girth like Chris put it it helps your leverages and helps you get closer to the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Most of the time when you lose fat around your midsection, or girth like Chris put it it helps your leverages and helps you get closer to the bar.

I know that is the common thought, and I think there is some truth to it, but I again look to Andy Bolton. His stomach is huge and yet he pulls more weight than anyone in history.

I think some of the biggest men are better squatters than deadlifters by design in that they must have big hips and legs in order to move their bulk around. In other words, those with big frames who have the heredity to be very large tend to have large hips and lower bodies in general with good power in those areas. They tend to be less powerful in a relative sense in the lower back. I think this has more to do with the lower deadlift phenomena than leverage concerns. In addition, a large gut can really help in the hole when squatting so those with a big gut get aid for their squat and none for the deadlift thus increasing the disparity in the 2 lifts.
    Last edited by chris mason; 12-22-2007 at 10:51 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Bolton is just a freak of nature, LOL.

I think there are exceptions to every rule - and I can see your point.

Banned
    Another thing to take into account is the gear. The squat gear is ridiculous nowadays. A DL suit doesn't give much compared to squat gear.

I am a fat ass and I can easily DL 100lbs more than I can squat at this point..and its not like my legs are noodly...they have good size and are fairly solid.

I have balance issues which I've yet to overcome, which is hindering my squats, at least that is my theory.
    Last edited by borracho; 01-13-2008 at 09:31 AM.

im not fat at all and my squat and deadlift are about teh same, so i agree with chris that its more relative strength, and i notice that alot of the fat people in my school can deadlift better
    You cant buy strength, but you sure as hell can work for it