The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Problems with Bodybuilding

Hey!
    I've been working on lifting weights for a while now (about a year and a half or so), and I'm just not seeing the gains I want to see. I'm trying to consider all the factors that could influence this, but I can't determine anything. My stats are

6'6"
    180 lbs.

My typical workout consists of:

Incline Bench: 90 (weak, I know)
    Lateral Press: 190
    Bicep Curls (both at once): 150
    Sitting Squats: 250
    Horizontal Calf: 250
    Tricep: 80 (yeah, weak again)
    Hip Abductors: 290

I always do 3 sets of 8-10 reps of everything at 2-3 secs per rep for fast twitch muscle development. I also supplement my diet with around 80g of whey protein daily along with tons of vitamin C (for protein uptake) and plenty of complex carbs. Occasionally I don't get enough daily water, but not often. I don't really want to start taking creatine as I'd have to keep taking it in order to maintain mass. I'm also a former vegetarian, so would that have caused any detriment to gaining? I only do cardio occasionally due to muscle deterioration...and that's pretty much it. So what's the problem, exactly?

Also, if I do gain, how do I make sure that it's toned-looking and not just blobs of muscle piled on top of itself?

Thanks for any help!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Check out the 'Starting Strength' program - it will probably serve you much better than the routine you listed (where are the deadlifts, man!).

Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

You're not eating enough, period.

You're routine could also use a complete overhaul. Starting Strength is a great suggestion.

I also think you misunderstand the benefits of creatine, not that you need to start taking it to see gains.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 11-23-2007 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glover7 View Post
    Hey!
    I've been working on lifting weights for a while now (about a year and a half or so), and I'm just not seeing the gains I want to see. I'm trying to consider all the factors that could influence this, but I can't determine anything. My stats are

6'6"
    180 lbs.

I always do 3 sets of 8-10 reps of everything at 2-3 secs per rep for fast twitch muscle development. I also supplement my diet with around 80g of whey protein daily along with tons of vitamin C (for protein uptake) and plenty of complex carbs. Occasionally I don't get enough daily water, but not often. I don't really want to start taking creatine as I'd have to keep taking it in order to maintain mass. I'm also a former vegetarian, so would that have caused any detriment to gaining? I only do cardio occasionally due to muscle deterioration...and that's pretty much it. So what's the problem, exactly?

Also, if I do gain, how do I make sure that it's toned-looking and not just blobs of muscle piled on top of itself?

Thanks for any help!

holy crap, did you read a damn thing this site has to offer?
    Sarvamangalam!

So whats it like to be starving? ... Seriously you need to eat and change that routine asap.
    5'7

bench - 245 x 2
    squat - 315 x 5
    dl- 355 x 1
    goal - Bigger Faster Stronger

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Hey!

6'6"
    180 lbs.

Thanks for any help!

Throw out your workout. Use Rippetoe's. A search on here will give you the exact routine.

If you are not gaining you are not eating enough. Eat more to gain. Energy in must be greater than energy out.

As for being "toned looking" that's diet. Muscle with low bodyfat surrounding it looks defined and "toned".

rebuilding the foundations Herandi's Avatar
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hey!

6'6"
    180 lbs.

I always do 3 sets of 8-10 reps of everything at 2-3 secs per rep for fast twitch muscle development.

Thanks for any help!
    You can only incline 90 but Lateral press 190....you can curl 150....all for 8 reps. Dream on son...

This is a good routine.

Hey man, you're the exact spitting image of where I was right out of high school. I'd been lifting for a while, but never really learned how to do it right in order to get to the goals I wanted to reach.

Use the routine above, hit 4000 cals per day no matter what, eat 200 g protein per day, ideally from whole meats if you can stomach it, and split up the rest of the calories from carbs and fats.

Of course, there's tons more detail than that, but I promise you, if you stick to that for just 4 weeks, you'll see some progress.

So the question is, are you up to it?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I've been doing this for 4 weeks and have seen a big jump in weight and strength. I'm 6'7" and basically a beginner lifter too.
    Last edited by mickyjune26; 11-24-2007 at 07:35 PM.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

I also supplement my diet with around 80g of whey protein daily along with tons of vitamin C (for protein uptake) and plenty of complex carbs.

So.... like, is that 80g of protein per meal daily or like, total?

You should REALLY research alot more dude. Research about your routine, about diet and protein intake, and about Creatine!
    This site has everything you need to know, so hit search and good luck!

Current PR's (updated 19th March.)

Bench: 325lbs/ 145kgs
    Dead: 395lbs/ 180kgs
    Squat: 370lbs/ 165kgs x 1 parallel.