The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Need some help building muscle

As you can probably tell im just starting out with lifting, I've posted here before and was told to start out with a set of dumbbells, I've got some now and was wondering what kinds of lifting exercises to do, and how to do them right etc, Also I am wondering how many days per week I should lift. Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You only have dumbbells? Do you have access to a gym? You can work out with DBs, but you'll be quite limited with the exercises you can do and you will outgrow them with your strength gains very quickly. If you manage to either a) join a gym or b) buy some home gym equipment (i.e. power rack, bench press, olympic bars, etc.), those would be the best options.

What do you have access to?

Also, how old are you and what are your stats? (age, height, weight, etc.). What are your goals? How's your diet?
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 11-21-2007 at 02:22 AM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    Nah, the closest gym is about an hour away..I could buy some home equipment but just sticking with the dumbbells for now..I'm 18 and only about 150 pounds, about 5'7-5'8 or so..Just looking to get whatever out of these dumbells as i can for now then ill probably buy some other equipment later on

Wannabebig Member
    If you are serious defiantly try to save up for some new equipment. Im 18 and was around 150 (5'9") about a month ago and starting all of my lifts were low. AFter only a month you just get used to doing exercises and my deadlifts have shot up to 210lbs so i need to buy new weight bc i bought a 210lb bar/freeweight set. If you want to do squats and deadlift and really get that kickstart you are going to need at least a barbell and rack. I mainly use DBs for some isolation work. Arnie presses, DB presses (flat/inclined), lunges, shrugs if you have heavy enough DBs, and face down rows are a couple of good exercises you can start with. Also pull ups and dips are super good for you overall if you can find somewhere to do them .Two high chairs will work for dips but it kinda puts strain on your wrists. Goodluck man just get a headstart on eating lots of clean food ad work with what you have until you can upgrade.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the help so far, but yea I guess i'll go grab a barbell soon next time i go to the city and you say a bench too for the barbell?

Purchase a bench for sure!
    If you can, get one which will allow an incline and decline. The benefits of a bench which you can adjust are endless.
    Sitting will allow overhead press movements,seated bicep curls and a whole lot more.
    Incline and decline will give you a variation on bench press angles and lots more exercises too. The possibilities are endless.

I could talk for hours on this but thats what the site and search button are for.

One piece of advice i will give you is make sure that you SQUAT.

Bench,dbells,bbell + Food + Sleep = Muscle
    Last edited by krboyd7; 11-23-2007 at 01:13 AM.
    Train,train hard.Eat,eat lots and sleep even more.

Save up for a power rack. If you just get a bench, you'll be posting on here in 3 months: "I need alternative exercises for the squat since I don't have a rack."

NOOOOOOOOOB
    craigslist in your area. i founda rack for ~200 here, havne't bought because i personally dont need, i can go to my gym. and i am only 17. lmao

Wannabebig Member
    k thanks for the help guys ill be a bench and bb

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eXonyte View Post
    k thanks for the help guys ill be a bench and bb
    Get a power rack too.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."