Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steroids In Powerlifting

well put elitepler....your knowledge seems familiar..........

Quote Originally Posted by elitepler View Post
    Lots of people use, some don't, the ones that use do not get as much as most people who don't think they do out of it. If steroids disappeared off the face of the earth tommorow, most of the same people in pling would still be on top a year from now. Just with slighty lower totals.
    Good post.
    I certainly hope no one thought I was bashing guys who juice either... I get the impression that we're all pretty much on the same page with this stuff. I think that my expectations of what it could do for me are fairly realistic, but I won't deny that there are clear benefits to using, especially when "get as huge as possible" is in the equation. For all I know, I could do a few cycles and be totally fine, but I'm just not willing to risk the consequences, potential or otherwise.
    I am, however, willing to get pretty fat. 300 here I come.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I don't use teh 'roids, but I'm sure a lot of the elite guys do. Many of the feds are drug tested, or at least test a top percentage of lifters at each meet. USAPL, WABDL, AAPF are some that do testing that I've lifted in.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by RickTheDestroyer View Post
    Good post.
    I certainly hope no one thought I was bashing guys who juice either... I get the impression that we're all pretty much on the same page with this stuff. I think that my expectations of what it could do for me are fairly realistic, but I won't deny that there are clear benefits to using, especially when "get as huge as possible" is in the equation. For all I know, I could do a few cycles and be totally fine, but I'm just not willing to risk the consequences, potential or otherwise.
    I am, however, willing to get pretty fat. 300 here I come.
    It can be argued that getting fat just for a bigger total can be much more threatening to your health then steroids. Millions of people world wide die of heart disease, diabetes, strokes etc, mosty related to thier diet and weight. How many people die from steroids use and/or abuse?. Most of the signs of abuse and problems with steroids come with advance notice, especially if your monitoring your blood work. Heart disease is a sneaky bastard.

Yes, I know this will not get me into Rhodestown, but with Children and now grandchildren, I have to worry and watch my health. Someones got to make sure they squat and deadlift, LOL.
    sponsored by Anderson powerlifting (Titan gear) AtLarge nutrition and APT prowriststraps

How sad do you have to be to lie to people on the internet. How weak or broken do you have to be to lie about how tough you are, how much you lift or how big or lean you are? You are lying to people you will never meet. The worst part is your the only one that does not see the lies show through so clearly. Just be happy with what you have, it may not be what you once had, but it is still better than many will ever have

Quote Originally Posted by elitepler View Post
    It can be argued that getting fat just for a bigger total can be much more threatening to your health then steroids. Millions of people world wide die of heart disease, diabetes, strokes etc, mosty related to thier diet and weight. How many people die from steroids use and/or abuse?. Most of the signs of abuse and problems with steroids come with advance notice, especially if your monitoring your blood work. Heart disease is a sneaky bastard.

Yes, I know this will not get me into Rhodestown, but with Children and now grandchildren, I have to worry and watch my health. Someones got to make sure they squat and deadlift, LOL.
    Oh undoubtedly. I'm 100% in agreement that steroids really aren't that dangerous if used by responsible adults, especially when compared to some of other **** out there that we all expose ourselves to. And honestly, if it were just up to me, I'd probably be more willing to take the plunge- I'd just be careful to monitor the health (mental and physical) on a consistent basis.
    Unfortunately SWMBO has spoken, and even if it's based on misinformation it's ultimately because she cares about me, so that's pretty much that.
    Part of me hopes that she'll cave if I start getting too fat. Otherwise I'll just have to wait until I get oldish and can convince a doctor to put me on TRT.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I would use in a heart beat if ASADA didnt hate me to much the bastards.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Would you guys say 'roids contributed to the death of Jesse Marunde?

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    Well as we all know, that was a genetic heart defect. Footballers (soccer players) collapse and drop dead on the pitch pretty much annually here in europe from inherited heart problems and I very much doubt any of them ever used A.S.

It's more likely that just the sheer intensity of Jesse's workouts combined with an underlying weak heart led to his unfortunate outcome. It's very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by garjagan View Post
    Well as we all know, that was a genetic heart defect. Footballers (soccer players) collapse and drop dead on the pitch pretty much annually here in europe from inherited heart problems and I very much doubt any of them ever used A.S.

It's more likely that just the sheer intensity of Jesse's workouts combined with an underlying weak heart led to his unfortunate outcome. It's very sad.
    Why would you doubt the soccer players ever used?

As for Marunde, I have no clue.

I've never heard of hemmorhoids killing someone, no.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
    Why would you doubt the soccer players ever used?

As for Marunde, I have no clue.
    Would anabolic steriods help gain a high level of endurance and cardiovascular fitness? Soccer is basically a game of running. A lot of players are very lean, some practically skinny.

Maybe Anabolic steroids could help them, but I dont understand how.

I'm just speculating.

Wannabebig Member
    As a Drug Free Powerlifter it doesn't matter to me who uses. I bust my hump everytime I workout. I have a 750 contest bench press and chose to compete with the best of them. Just take your Atlarge supplements, say your prayers and train like a mad man. No excuses!

According to this, steroids can cause an enlarged heart:

Anabolic steroids cause enlargement of the heart in humans and
    test animals.(1,2) These are the same changes in heart
    muscle that occur in chronic heart failure.(3) For these
    reasons, when a young athlete experiences sudden death the body is
    often evaluated for steroid abuse.(3) In one case report,
    a 21-year-old steroid abuser collapsed and died during a
    workout.(4) The autopsy revealed an enlarged heart with
    areas of dead heart-muscle tissue. Medical authorities speculated
    that steroid abuse caused his heart muscle cells to grow faster
    than the blood vessel supply. This created an area of heart tissue
    with poor blood flow, leading to death of the new cells and a fatal
    heart attack.(4)

Banned
    everyone knows steroids makes your heart work way harder than without. it's harder on your whole body. anyone that says they're not bad for you is lying.
    and they do add alot of strength to anyone as long as they work out right. you see guys in your own gym benching 225 for months, then after a month on the **** they're doin 315 pretty easy. many pl's, and they only get more prominent as you get to the top of the mountain, are using.

even so, the guys that are elite powerlifters would still be strong as **** without em.

The only thing I find wrong is people making excuses. You always hear of an elite lifter or athlete using steroids, but you forgot to mention that this person busted there ass day in and day out to get where they are now.
    THe dedication and hard work to get to their level is so tremendous that the average person can not understand that the bottle of test does not squat the weight up.
    I hear it every day in my campus rec..."man if I was just on steroids I would be so huge and strong!" BULLsh1t. These people saying that could not achieve 1/10 of an elite lifter if they were given the same dosage!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Martinez View Post
    As a Drug Free Powerlifter it doesn't matter to me who uses. I bust my hump everytime I workout. I have a 750 contest bench press and chose to compete with the best of them. Just take your Atlarge supplements, say your prayers and train like a mad man. No excuses!
    Your right... no point grumbling over other lifters using gear, instead its best worry about the things yo can control, like taiing intensity, recovery and diet.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmoney View Post
    The only thing I find wrong is people making excuses. You always hear of an elite lifter or athlete using steroids, but you forgot to mention that this person busted there ass day in and day out to get where they are now.
    THe dedication and hard work to get to their level is so tremendous that the average person can not understand that the bottle of test does not squat the weight up.
    I hear it every day in my campus rec..."man if I was just on steroids I would be so huge and strong!" BULLsh1t. These people saying that could not achieve 1/10 of an elite lifter if they were given the same dosage!
    i said they'd still be strong without it because of their work ethic, etc. Chuck Vogelpohl is my favorite powerlifter because of his attitude and work ethic. with or without, i guarantee he would be strong.
    i just hate the punks in the gym that get on it and jump up really fast. it's not an excuse, its bull****. it takes me months perfecting my technique, trainin hard, etc. and then they come do the same weight with half the effort.

According to this, steroids can cause an enlarged heart:
    Isolated case studies and extrapolations off high-dose animal studies are not quite enough to imply causality, nor to draw conclusions off of.

If they were, the company I work for (and about $6 billion in annual checks cut to CROs in general) would be completely eliminated.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Banned
    well, they ARE illegal....

Quote Originally Posted by zztoproadster View Post
    How old are you?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Banned
    22 . .

22 . .
    I would have guessed either 12 or 70 by the way you act.
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

Banned
    and? they're illegal...period. stop bein a ****in pussy

and? they're illegal...period. stop bein a ****in pussy
    Yes they are illegal.. But what does that have to do with anything?

Weed is illegal and it could be argued that it is MUCH less harmful (socially and physically) than alcohol.

Also, what makes you think that people can jump on and all of a sudden get real strong? You seriously think it doesn't require a good diet, hard work and dedication regardless of what you're on?
    Full Powerlifting

Not in all countries. How does that change anything?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers