The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Steroids In Powerlifting

Straight forward question really... May seem ignorant but I really can't make up my own mind on it.

Do competitive powerlifters use steroids? Or strongmen?

I am assuming yes, due simply to the massive amounts of weight and training that they do. However I don't know fully and I hate grey areas :P.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Whether or not they use regularly, I think depends on which federation they compete in - due to frequency of testing etc. That's what I was told anyway.

When I see that Kroc guy he's so lean and impressive looking and so immensly strong for his weight, I almost cant believe he hasnt used at some point. But who knows.

there are guys who have squatted 1000 drug free. most guys on WSM are on steroids.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by garjagan View Post
    Whether or not they use regularly, I think depends on which federation they compete in - due to frequency of testing etc. That's what I was told anyway.

When I see that Kroc guy he's so lean and impressive looking and so immensly strong for his weight, I almost cant believe he hasnt used at some point. But who knows.
    Kroc has actually stated hes on HRT. He beat cancer and was prescribed testosterone legally by a doc. He posted this in his log or on the q and a a while back on EFS.

Quote Originally Posted by dbc3po View Post
    Kroc has actually stated hes on HRT. He beat cancer and was prescribed testosterone legally by a doc. He posted this in his log or on the q and a a while back on EFS.
    I didnt know that. I saw a thread bickering over the issue on another forum. I guess it's a bit of a gray area in that case.

Whatever the deal, he's an awesome lifter. I'm a fan.

Some do, some do not.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Anabolic steroids are a part of strength sports just as they are a part of nearly every sport which involves physical activity. As already stated in this thread, some powerlifters use them and some do not.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

a large majority use steroids, there are few drug free feds.
    2000 or bust

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    yeah majority of these guys use.

apparently there has only been one guy to squat over 1000 naturally that i know of

but i put nothing past anyone to use nowadays, its kinda just a part of the game, like bench shirts and chalk.....lol
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Custom User Title
    There was just an article on EFS that makes it sound like steroids are omnipresent in powerlifting, at least in the upper echelons. Billy Mimnaugh seems to really enjoy writing about being hardcore - I think he needs a new topic to discuss, but his latest article discusses steroids a bit - http://www.elitefts.com/documents/what_is_hardcore.htm
    DL 650x1 (raw)
    SQ 479x1 (raw), 700x1(suit+briefs)
    BP 395x1 (raw), 457x1 (single ply)

Current: 6'1, 265; Goal: 6'6, 270

Training log

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    a large majority use steroids, there are few drug free feds.
    Even some guys in the drug free feds use them, there are ways to pass the tests.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Some powerlifters use them & some don't.

I have never use them.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    http://www.myspace.com/bigwillie12345

GOT ATLARGE NUTRITION MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
    Last edited by NASAKYCHAIRMAN; 11-26-2007 at 10:06 AM.

This is an interesting area for me. I have more or less come to terms with the fact that I probably won't ever use gear. I have a good woman who would worry too much about it (she's a keeper, otherwise I wouldn't give a ****), and I have enough issues with anger management, aggression, anxiety and depression as it is, and I think that these might become unmanagable during a cycle and recovery. I'm not even going to go into the dangers of what I'd be like with an enhanced libido.

Anyway, I know the conventional wisdom for powerlifting is usually "get as big as possible", but I'm wondering how applicable this is for someone who's natural. I'm weak for my size, and deceptively heavy for how small I am- I've always been relatively heavy even when I was basically skin and bones, so expecting to compete in a lighter weight class is pretty much out of the question. On the upside, I gain weight easily, and continue to do so at a fairly decent ratio (In the past 4 months or so I went from 225 to 250 going from about 15%-18% bf on a steady diet of oreos and whole milk, that's a little better than 50/50). The problem is that beginning to approach a point of diminishing returns at which I'll stop adding much good weight and start to just add fat... I know that all mass helps with powerlifting due to leverages and whatnot, but I'm reluctant to start putting on straight blubber.

So, not trying to hijack the thread, but should I really embrace my inner fatass and try to get as big as possible at any cost, even though I'm not juicing?
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Quote Originally Posted by Bergs View Post
    There was just an article on EFS that makes it sound like steroids are omnipresent in powerlifting, at least in the upper echelons. Billy Mimnaugh seems to really enjoy writing about being hardcore - I think he needs a new topic to discuss, but his latest article discusses steroids a bit - http://www.elitefts.com/documents/what_is_hardcore.htm
    That's a great f***ing article.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    That's a great f***ing article.
    I agree. That was pretty entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by RickTheDestroyer View Post
    So, not trying to hijack the thread, but should I really embrace my inner fatass and try to get as big as possible at any cost, even though I'm not juicing?
    EMBRRRAAAACCCEEEE IIIIITT!

I'm right there with ya.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RickTheDestroyer View Post
    This is an interesting area for me. I have more or less come to terms with the fact that I probably won't ever use gear. I have a good woman who would worry too much about it (she's a keeper, otherwise I wouldn't give a ****), and I have enough issues with anger management, aggression, anxiety and depression as it is, and I think that these might become unmanagable during a cycle and recovery. I'm not even going to go into the dangers of what I'd be like with an enhanced libido.

Anyway, I know the conventional wisdom for powerlifting is usually "get as big as possible", but I'm wondering how applicable this is for someone who's natural. I'm weak for my size, and deceptively heavy for how small I am- I've always been relatively heavy even when I was basically skin and bones, so expecting to compete in a lighter weight class is pretty much out of the question. On the upside, I gain weight easily, and continue to do so at a fairly decent ratio (In the past 4 months or so I went from 225 to 250 going from about 15%-18% bf on a steady diet of oreos and whole milk, that's a little better than 50/50). The problem is that beginning to approach a point of diminishing returns at which I'll stop adding much good weight and start to just add fat... I know that all mass helps with powerlifting due to leverages and whatnot, but I'm reluctant to start putting on straight blubber.

You hit the nail on the head. Mass moves mass

WTF?? There's steroids in powerlifting??? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Say it ain't so!!!

Sorry I didnt mean to sound like I was bashing Kroc. I think hes one hell of a lifter on or not on. Really its part of the sport if 90% of the public new the truth that when gear is used properly and responsibly it is safe the this argument would never come up. rick I feel your pain about the anger issues. When I have been on in the past Im allot calmer than when Im not on. Personally to each his own if your using do not compete in tested feds or bash those who dont use but if your not using then do not bash those that do.

I think the part that ordinary people will never understand is that steroids don't lift the friggin' weights for you. You need to have decent genetics and a solid strength base to begin with. I'd also like to add that your mind must be even stronger than your body to be an extremely successful powerlifter. Just look @ Kaz. Sure he probably cranked, but I don't care what you say, he was a freak who was disciplined, confident, smart and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    I think the part that ordinary people will never understand is that steroids don't lift the friggin' weights for you. You need to have decent genetics and a solid strength base to begin with. I'd also like to add that your mind must be even stronger than your body to be an extremely successful powerlifter. Just look @ Kaz. Sure he probably cranked, but I don't care what you say, he was a freak who was disciplined, confident, smart and strong.
    Very good post, but who's Kaz

Just kidding, don't eat me.

The general public will never understand because the general public doesn't want to. They hear a few politicians and doctors saying steroids are bad and that's enough. I've only started to really learn about steroids because of some knowledgable guys on this site and I still know very little (nowhere near enough to go on).

And Kaz is still a freak of nature in every sense.

Kaz may be a dick nowadays but you half to admire what he accomplished and his intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by dbc3po View Post
    Kaz may be a dick nowadays but you half to admire what he accomplished and his intensity.
    i think once you reach a certain stage of badass-ness, you're allowed to be a dick. kaz reached that level. hahaha
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Just to clear it up, in no way was I attempting to diminish the feats that have been accomplished by these guys or say "steroids lift the weights for them". I was just genuinely curious as to whether or not they were used and how much. Thanks for clearing it up.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

No way to really know. Someone who competes in NASA or the USAPL/IPF is not going to come on here and tell you they use. People that are sponsored are not going to tell you they use. Then theres people that just do not want people to know. Lots of guys claim it, but nobody knows but them. Just like a supposed 1000lb squatter, nobody knows unless they are with him 24/7 if he is truely drug free.

Then there is IGF, HGH, MGF, Insulin etc. etc.

Lots of people use, some don't, the ones that use do not get as much as most people who don't think they do out of it. If steroids disappeared off the face of the earth tommorow, most of the same people in pling would still be on top a year from now. Just with slighty lower totals.