Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat/Deading Barefoot

Wannabebig Member

Squat/Deading Barefoot

I have been squatting, deadlifting and doing good mornings all while barefoot for the past month. Being that I pretty much only have Nike Shox and running shoes (which have in the past make me have terrible form) it doesn't leave me with any other option. So while I'm not exactly a muscle man, I'm not exactly new to weights either and I was just wondering will doing these things barefoot have any longterm effects on foot arches and such. I have a high instep naturally and don't want to have messed up feet later in life. Thanks in advance guys
    5'11" 175lb
    DL: 375 BP: 255 SQ: 275

Why don't you just get some flat-soled shoes like chucks or something? I don't really think that doing it barefoot would be that bad though.

.::.:::...:.:..:::::.::.. : Thexile's Avatar
    i squat and dl with barefeet (socks ofcourse). i dont think it really matters. running shoes are a problem b/c they have that forward lean. and i have flat feet and it hasn't aggrivated me feet.
    Last edited by Thexile; 12-06-2007 at 01:06 PM.
    nemo me impune lacessit

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Longterm effects?... Stronger feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Thexile View Post
    i squat and dl with barefeet (socks ofcourse). i dont think it really matters. running shows are a problem b/c they have that forward lean. and i have flat feet and it hasn't aggrivated me feet.
    No, running shoes are a problem because they compress under your weight which can throw you off balance when squatting a couple hundred pounds.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Wannabebig Member
    The running shoes caused extreme pain in my lower back, hips... never will attempt that again. First time I did it barefoot was amazing, everything was so solid.
    5'11" 175lb

Wanna Be Big member
    wow, verry interesting. I have always been lifting in my running shoes.

What type of shoes do you guys reccomend then? Skate shoes or what?
    Current Age: 23 Height: 6'2" Weight: 195 lbs. [B]
    Bench = 205
    DL= 315
    Squat = 230

That's what I wear and they're fine.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

alot of people go with the converse/chuck taylors
    Sarvamangalam!

I lift in nike shocks and havent had any problems yet. Just dont play basketball in them. You will break your ankles.
    5'10" 200lbs
    BF-15%
    Bench-305x1
    Deadlift-440x1
    Squat-will know soon

Quote Originally Posted by 300for1 View Post
    I lift in nike shocks and havent had any problems yet. Just dont play basketball in them. You will break your ankles.
    Well to be fair, you dont squat...

I pull and squat barefoot and never had any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Wannabebig Member
    I used to squat in Shox, never bothered me, but when I first went barefoot it was just so "solid" (hard to explain) - wont be going back anytime soon
    5'11" 175lb

I squat and dead barefoot.

Still walking.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

When you guys all squat/dead barefoot or in socks, do you guys also do variations barefoot or in socks as well. ie GMs, RDLs, SLDLs, and the like. My guess would be yes but...
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Wannabebig Member
    wrestling shoes.

I wear jogging shoes and I've never had any physical discomfort. I tried squatting and DLing in thin aquatic shoes and I could NOT move nearly as much weight.

my workout parter and I both dead and squat barefoot. We both wear shox normally. I think they are too high and throw off the balance. I also have chucks that I wear sometimes.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

You should be fine. I don't think your feet will suffer.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Watchya talkn bout willis
    I do em barefoot and my feet are fine so far
    Last edited by North; 12-08-2007 at 08:41 PM.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

romantic relations w/bacon Indifference's Avatar
    I pull and squat barefoot but after an incident last night I will no longer squat barefoot. If your power rack is on carpet and you happen to be wearing socks you can actually squat out of your socks... at least I did (on a PR attempt). I will be ordering some metal squat shoes for xmas to remedy the situation.
    Oly Lifting + Some PL

#'s will be up when I know them

I have lost the ability to squat barefoot because I have become very used ot my Olympic shoes. imo, the shoes feel more stable then the knees, and I drive off the heel so much more.

These or good old chuck T's.

Oly shoes are freaking expensive and not worth it unless your a full time Oly lifter.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I have lost the ability to squat barefoot because I have become very used ot my Olympic shoes. imo, the shoes feel more stable then the knees, and I drive off the heel so much more.

These or good old chuck T's.

Oly shoes are freaking expensive and not worth it unless your a full time Oly lifter.
    I don't know why so many people are willing to spend $100+ for a pair of b-ball shoes even if they suck, but won't shell out a dime for decent squat shoes... Even if you aren't an OLer, olympic weightlifting shoes are a great investment.

Video
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by someone smarter than you
    Shoes don't sweat, bare feet do
    I use Converse All Stars (NOT Chucks), flat sole, no 'air', no arch. They have served me well. I use them instead of Chucks because I use orthodics.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

i've been looking at the adidas website and could not find "olympic lifting" shoes or "squat" shoes using the search...what is the shoe type for that? i don't mind shelling out the money as squats are my favorite exercise, not to mention those shoes look pretty good.

edit: nvm, they're called adistar weightlifting shoes. (the one that fuzzy has pictured above) i've only found one place that has them for $200. an alternative are the ironwork II shoes which i've found some places for under $100.
    Last edited by motoko013; 12-09-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/