The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wanna Be Big member

tweaked my back while lifting today....very strange

I got done doing my squats today and set a new pr. I did 235 5x5. I felt great.

I decided to skip the rest of my leg work because I'm going snowboarding soon and I didn't want to be to soar. I took about a 15 minute break to catch my breath and proceeded to my seated alt curls for bicps.

I was on my 3rd set of 5x5 at the same weight as last week and I went for my first rep on my right arm. All of a sudden I felt a sharp pain on my back below my neck on the spinal cord.

When I look down, or turn my head to the right it hurts. I am worried and wondering if any of you guys have advice or know what may have happened. It doesn't feel like a muscle tear...its more on the bone. Hopefully it will go away when I wake up tomorrow. Its really bothering me.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by johny12345; 11-27-2007 at 10:13 PM.
    Current Age: 23 Height: 6'2" Weight: 195 lbs. [B]
    Bench = 205
    DL= 315
    Squat = 230

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Football is Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by johny12345 View Post
    I got done doing my squats today and set a new pr. I did 235 5x5. I felt great.

I decided to skip the rest of my leg work because I'm going snowboarding soon and I didn't want to be to soar. I took about a 15 minute break to catch my breath and proceeded to my seated alt curls for bicps.

I was on my 3rd set of 5x5 at the same weight as last week and I went for my first rep on my right arm. All of a sudden I felt a sharp pain toward the back of my neck on the spinal cord.

When I look down, or turn my head to the right it hurts. I am worried and wondering if any of you guys have advice or know what may have happened. It doesn't feel like a muscle tear or anything like that.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Pinched nerve maybe?

Wanna Be Big member
    If that is the case, what would that entail? something that will just get better overnight?
    Bench = 205
    DL= 315
    Squat = 230

Football is Everything
    If that is the case, what would that entail? something that will just get better overnight?
    Not saying it is for sure but with the pain shooting through you it could be a possibility... Go to webmd and search pinched nerve and read it.
    Last edited by jcoleman7; 11-27-2007 at 08:12 PM.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    I'd go to a doctor if it involves your spine, especially if you're snowboarding soon.

Wanna Be Big member
    ummm, not shooting through me. its in the same spot, and it hurts when I move my neck arround.
    Bench = 205
    DL= 315
    Squat = 230

Football is Everything
    ummm, not shooting through me. its in the same spot, and it hurts when I move my neck arround.
    well I read it wrong then... I thought you said it went down from your neck and down through your spine lol

I've done this before when I had the bar to high on my back basically touching my neck. I believe it's just a neck muscle spasm and goes away in a few days.
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

Wanna Be Big member
    the bar was not too high on my neck. It was sitting low on my traps. I know this is not from the pressure of the bar if that is what you mean. I have no problems with that.

it is changing a little bit. Now it hurts equally when I turn my head left and right.
    Bench = 205
    DL= 315
    Squat = 230

It might just be a muscle strain. I had a REALLY bad muscle strain in the summer. I couldnt move my head AT ALL for about 3 days. The second night I didnt even sleep at all because it hurt any time I moved. Ice for 15-20 minutes every hour for the first 2 days, then alternate heat and ice after that. Also try to get some anti-inflammitories. I got that and T3's and the anti's worked on their own.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    sounds like a pinched nerve. they should go away within a week. i had a bad one just like your's and it stayed for almost 2 weeks. i tried stretching and massage and everything and it wouldn't come out, so (this sounds kinda dumb, but worked lol) i just found the spot on the back of my neck that was hurting (where the pinched nerve was) and looked down so that the spot was open and got my friend to hit it a few times like a karate chop, and it loosened it up and felt better right away.

Wanna Be Big member
    Detard, that is really wierd that you just posted that.

I was just about to post this:
    I am laying in bed trying to go to sleep and it is definetally getting worse. It hurts to move my head at all. Even just laying here hurts. I am also laying on ice.

So, I'm assuming you're right. How long did it take you to heal 100%? What exactly is a strain?

another thing to conisder is that I have been eating really clean and hitting my macros, but I have been taking in almost 0 fruits and vegetables. I think this may play a roll. Right?

zz, two weeks? jeesus. what the hell am I going to do.
    Last edited by johny12345; 11-27-2007 at 09:28 PM.
    Bench = 205
    DL= 315
    Squat = 230

Banned
    if you can't move your neck, and you were just doin curls, unless your form sucks ass i don't see how you strained your neck. pinched nerves are a pain in the ass. it's really rare, but sometimes they just don't go away and you gotta get surgery to release the pressure. but that's like one in a million. it makes it feel like your shoulder, or whichever muscle the nerve goes to, is hurting, but it's not. just get someone to massage the **** out of it and see if they can't release some pressure in the one spot where the pain is concentrated.

Detard, that is really wierd that you just posted that.

I was just about to post this:
    I am laying in bed trying to go to sleep and it is definetally getting worse. It hurts to move my head at all. Even just laying here hurts. I am also laying on ice.

So, I'm assuming you're right. How long did it take you to heal 100%? What exactly is a strain?

another thing to conisder is that I have been eating really clean and hitting my macros, but I have been taking in almost 0 fruits and vegetables. I think this may play a roll. Right?

zz, two weeks? jeesus. what the hell am I going to do.
    Took me about 6 days to recover. Another thing I got that helps a ton was a neck brace. It let me completely relax my neck muscles but kept my noggin upright.

I did mine doing push press with the same weights I usually use so things like this can happen at any time. A strain is the tearing of muscle fibres. There are 3 grades of strains, grade 1 - slight tearing, moderate pain, no loss of function. Grade 2 - Slightly more tearing, increased pain, moderate loss of function. Grade 3 - Fully torn, no pain, complete loss of function. (Learned this all in kinesiology class last week. Someone correct it if its wrong)
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Wanna Be Big member
    It just doesn't feel like anything was/is "torn."
    Bench = 205
    DL= 315
    Squat = 230

It doesnt FEEL like thers anything torn because its so minor. I thought for sure it was a pinched nerve but it wasnt.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

Wanna Be Big member
    The pain is drastically better tonite. I rotated from a hot tub to a cold outdoor pool like 6 times today.

I have a much wider range of motion with turning my head before it hurts. It feels like it is soar now and it is healing well. I hope I get to 100% very fast.

Any more ideas of what could have happened with this new update?
    Last edited by johny12345; 11-28-2007 at 09:48 PM.
    Bench = 205
    DL= 315
    Squat = 230

Wanna Be Big member
    okay I gave it about 1.5 weeks to heal. Today I went to the gym and did my back/shoulder routine. I did back, I was fine. I did millies, arnys, and I was fine. I proceeded to follow up with some bent rows for the rear delts and I started to notice it come back. I quit that lift and proceeded to some smith shoulder shrugs and I could definetally notice it so I quit that lift. Now I'm at home and I have the same pain as before, just not as bad.

Any ideas anyone?

thank.
    Bench = 205
    DL= 315
    Squat = 230

Get it checked out. Go to a sports specific doctor though and tell them exactly what happened. You might just have to lay of the heavy lifting for a bit. That doesnt mean you cant do rehab work with bands or work on your form.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

Wanna Be Big member
    okay, will my normal insurance cover a sports specific doc?
    Bench = 205
    DL= 315
    Squat = 230