The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    LOL...

Welcome bro, I do object to your missing/dodging direct questions and pretending you're a dr, but other than that, welcome aboard.
    thank you for the welcome. the phd is real, by the way, as is thus the "dr."
    i'm not sure what direct question i've dodged? if there's something i've missed, please shout. it's a puzzle to me that someone would see that assertion immediately as fake - which is what you and your fellow posters have assumed, no?

also, you're making a gender assumption, aren't you? maybe that's because for the most part there seem to be only men on this board? as said, new, so not yet familiar enough with the discourse or constituency to know for more certain, but it does seem so far to be mainly young men, sub 25?

anyway, this aside is hijacking this thread, so howdie
    and thanks again for the hello.

mc

Are you calling everyone here gay?!?!?! I will fight you.

<-------"Fellow poster."

P.S. We don't take too KINDLY to folks who don't take too kindly to folks 'round hnaw!
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

haha I bet I'm one of the few who got that!
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

HEY!! PANDA BEAR!
    and
    HEY!! BEAUTIFUL LADY!

Lol, love that show.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by mc wb View Post
    thank you for the welcome.
    Cool. Hope I didn't come off as rude.

</end hijack>

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

thank you for the welcome. the phd is real, by the way, as is thus the "dr."
    i'm not sure what direct question i've dodged? if there's something i've missed, please shout. it's a puzzle to me that someone would see that assertion immediately as fake - which is what you and your fellow posters have assumed, no?

also, you're making a gender assumption, aren't you? maybe that's because for the most part there seem to be only men on this board? as said, new, so not yet familiar enough with the discourse or constituency to know for more certain, but it does seem so far to be mainly young men, sub 25?

anyway, this aside is hijacking this thread, so howdie
    and thanks again for the hello.

mc
    What field do you specialize in?

.::.:::...:.:..:::::.::.. : Thexile's Avatar
    just curious, you're 6' 1", 190lbs and your cutting on 1600cals? aren't you already lean enough? how long have you been working out? have you had good gains that you want to cut?

you've said that you've been trying to cut for months and have lost 1kilo so far. maybe you should try clean bulking for a bit and then cut? maybe you don't "see" a change in your physique b/c there isn't enough on your relatively big frame, i myself am 5' 10 at 180lbs.
    nemo me impune lacessit

Wannabebig Member

fyi: new approach bulking/cutting phase

T-nation this week posts on a "new" approach to bulking/cutting phases. focus is on clean foods.

best
    mc

Quote Originally Posted by unj View Post
    Hey,

I am finding cutting so hard iv been trying to do it for months on end and my weight has dropped by around a kilo and i see some but very little difference in my physique although my waist has dropped by a decent inch! The only thing i can think of is dropping cals...

Diet (roughly):

Meal 1
    Xenadrine + water
    WORKOUT - (1 serving of Whey Protein post workout)

Meal 2
    Fruit

Meal 3
    Cheese sandwich + pack of crisps + diet cola or Diet cola + Tuna pasta

Meal 4
    2 Chicken breast + rice or bread of some sort

Meal 5
    Small snack e.g nuts and milk

My workout is intense hitting all major body parts and i work out 3 times a week and on an empty stomach after my weights session i throw in about 20 mins on the bike for cardio, for some quick HIIT.

Totals - 1900-2000 cals, 80-100g fat, 200g Carbs, 120-150g protein

I weigh about 190lbs and im 6ft 1.... My aim is to lean out as much as possible say sub 12% BF and then the worlds slowest and cleanest bulk... i need suggestions, all i can do is drop cals maybe increase cardio? I mean i only do it twice a week....
    Wow, this diet sucks. You need to do some serious reading before asking for this kind of help. I'm pretty sure your total macros aren't really even close. Without you accurately measuring and tracking, you won't know what you're taking in.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    T-nation this week posts on a "new" approach to bulking/cutting phases. focus is on clean foods.

best
    mc
    Hi,

You seem to have missed a direct question two posts above your last. When you do that it undermines your credibility.

-thanks

RNC Holt Mans____

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Quote Originally Posted by Thexile View Post
    just curious, you're 6' 1", 190lbs and your cutting on 1600cals? aren't you already lean enough? how long have you been working out? have you had good gains that you want to cut?

you've said that you've been trying to cut for months and have lost 1kilo so far. maybe you should try clean bulking for a bit and then cut? maybe you don't "see" a change in your physique b/c there isn't enough on your relatively big frame, i myself am 5' 10 at 180lbs.
    nah i gained just about 50lbs lol! so a bit of fat that i need to get rid of BIG time.... dont worry u guys didnt help... thanks anyway

didn't help you with what, the psychological difficulty you seem to be having with your cut? You ended your original post with something to the effect of 'what can I do, just diet/exercise?', what did you expect help to be?

(damnit, you got me - I've got help, I have some magic beans that'll do the trick, pm me for my paypal address and we can work something out )

Wannabebig Member so_calmaxwell's Avatar
    I think the diet isn't all that bad... The healthy suggestions are good...
    For the cheese sandwich try toasting bread and putting lowfat cottage cheese. ( very little fat and almost all protein calories )
    ---> INCREASE CARDIO..... I don't think the answer to this question is limited to diet only.
    I'm positive increase cardio will make better results than just a diet change.

Even if you run 10 miles a day....... run 5 more.
    Last edited by so_calmaxwell; 12-15-2007 at 06:30 PM.

ya F low fat. Why would you want to do that!?

<built, why did ur 2nd sentence specify cutting? Low fat is a piss poor approach on all fronts>

It's not so bad on a bulk - usually you're getting so many calories you've got your fats covered. Carbs stimulate insulin, good for driving nutrients into your muscles, and besides, lower-fat foods tend to promote appetite, so they make it easier to overeat. But this depends on what you think of as "low fat" I suppose. If you're getting almost no fat while you bulk, what the hell are you eating, yanno? Short story long, I agree with you jdiety.

because fat is the most calorie rich nutrient..
    1 gram of fat gram has about 9 calories
    1 gram of protien has 4 calories
    1 gram of carbohyrdates has 4 calories.

The key is to burn off your daily intake of calories so your body will begin to burn fat that is stored in the body.

If you intake to little you will simplly burn the callories and some fat and end up hurting your muscle tissue.

If you consume too many callories you will simply store the unburned.

Its a balance... and you have to find your spot....

Isually the best thing to to is eat at a level that you know maintains/ slowlly gains your current muscle weight and increase your normal cardio to more cardio.

This shift usually doesn't shock your body into doing anything different to your current muscle mass but since your burning more fuel naturaly your reserves will dwindle.
    Last edited by so_calmaxwell; 12-15-2007 at 07:47 PM.

my opinion of course.... I'm not a doctor.. or a nutritionist. Nor am i saying anyone else is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by so_calmaxwell View Post

The key is to burn off your daily intake of calories so your body will begin to burn fat that is stored in the body.

If you intake to little you will simplly burn the callories and some fat and end up hurting your muscle tissue.

Isually the best thing to to is eat at a level that you know maintains/ slowlly gains your current muscle weight and increase your normal cardio to more cardio.

This shift usually doesn't shock your body into doing anything different to your current muscle mass but since your burning more fuel naturaly your reserves will dwindle.
    I know what the caloric cost of eating fat is, bud. But dieting on low fat feels like ASS - I keep my fats as high as my calories allow when I'm cutting.

Keeps appetite under control.

And I'd hardly suggest increasing cardio for cutting. I WOULD suggest increasing the INTENSITY of your cardio, but not MORE cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by so_calmaxwell View Post

from bolded sentence, you need to burn off daily intake of calories and then anything after that is fat loss, and past that is muscle loss, presuming you're doing the proper things (still lifting, sufficient protein, etc). Reverse for bulking, you take in more than you can burn off to account for anabolism/muscle growth, anything past that's stored as fat.

The thing is that low fat is just bad - fat is, as you pointed out, more calorie dense than carbs but that does not mean it is wise to swap your fats for carbs. I'm not saying avoid carbs or anything, just that the whole 'don't eat fat cuz you're trying to lose fat' thing is wrong - it's total calorie count, not what % of those calories came from fat. Also keep in mind that fat/protein are essential macronutrients, required for life/health. Carbs are not.
    Last edited by jdeity; 12-16-2007 at 08:05 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post

And I'd hardly suggest increasing cardio for cutting. I WOULD suggest increasing the INTENSITY of your cardio, but not MORE cardio.
    Just for clarification do you mean "time" in terms of increasing cardio - as in you wouldn't do it longer? Intensity is effectively "more" cardio.

Also, more effective than simply upping intensity in cardio is to do intervals. Something like the tabata protocol that takes into account cadence as well as intervals of high heart rate with recovery intervals (20sec at 90rpm at gearing that gets to around 85%max as a measure of VO2 uptake followed by 10sec stop for 8 intervals) is an example of adipose fat burning at play.

This kind of protocol has been shown to get better fat burning of calories than steady state higher intensity due to EPOC - since it's the O2 metabolism that is mainly responsible for fat burning, those recovery intervals are important as is simply using intervals to help increase V02 max, and thus fat burning.

This way, if you get into this regime of doing about 2.5hours of this kind of high intensity interval work, you can actually increase your calories quite substantially and get great fat loss happening to complement resistnance training for lean muscle building.

But you likely meant this anyway, yes?
    And likely also know that fat only burns in the presence of carbs - so really important when doing high intensity work to have an appropriate ratio of carbs available to facilitate that oxidative burn cycling.

This approach has been called a lot of things but one version of it is g-flux.

Totally agree on the fat - fat is critical for fat burning. fish oil, cla, all great sources. If you hit green tea in there that will also give a small boost. not big, but every little helps - and it's cheaper than hot rox.

Again, not saying you don't know this: just offering this info up for the community, and as my understanding of the research and helping athletes and couch potatoes train.

best
    mc

Just for clarification do you mean "time" in terms of increasing cardio - as in you wouldn't do it longer? Intensity is effectively "more" cardio.

Also, more effective than simply upping intensity in cardio is to do intervals. Something like the tabata protocol that takes into account cadence as well as intervals of high heart rate with recovery intervals (20sec at 90rpm at gearing that gets to around 85%max as a measure of VO2 uptake followed by 10sec stop for 8 intervals) is an example of adipose fat burning at play.

This kind of protocol has been shown to get better fat burning of calories than steady state higher intensity due to EPOC - since it's the O2 metabolism that is mainly responsible for fat burning, those recovery intervals are important as is simply using intervals to help increase V02 max, and thus fat burning.

This way, if you get into this regime of doing about 2.5hours of this kind of high intensity interval work, you can actually increase your calories quite substantially and get great fat loss happening to complement resistnance training for lean muscle building.

But you likely meant this anyway, yes?
    And likely also know that fat only burns in the presence of carbs - so really important when doing high intensity work to have an appropriate ratio of carbs available to facilitate that oxidative burn cycling.

This approach has been called a lot of things but one version of it is g-flux.

Totally agree on the fat - fat is critical for fat burning. fish oil, cla, all great sources. If you hit green tea in there that will also give a small boost. not big, but every little helps - and it's cheaper than hot rox.

Again, not saying you don't know this: just offering this info up for the community, and as my understanding of the research and helping athletes and couch potatoes train.

best
    mc
    What field do you hold your PhD in?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post

The thing is that low fat is just bad - fat is, as you pointed out, more calorie dense than carbs but that does not mean it is wise to swap your fats for carbs. I'm not saying avoid carbs or anything, just that the whole 'don't eat fat cuz you're trying to lose fat' thing is wrong - it's total calorie count, not what % of those calories came from fat. Also keep in mind that fat/protein are essential macronutrients, required for life/health. Carbs are not.
    Could you clarify on what you're basing that last sentence - about carbs not being essential for life and health? what is the reference for this claim?

I know you've stated that you're not saying "avoid carbs or anything" but your statements about them suggest that that would be possible and still healthy. Am i mis-hearing you?

For instance, an athlete would not be able to perform without carbs; fat would be the last thing to burn from your system without carbs. The glycolytic metabolism would be hard pressed to function without carbs as an energy source. The fascia starts to dehydrate without carbs as a mechanism for keeping muscles properly hydrated. This is why folks initially lose weight on atkins type diets: they're losing a LOT of water. Which again, for athletes means that muscles cannot function optimally - muscle cross bridges can't work properly.

Now for periods of cutting reduced carbs are understandable - but you're reducing everything in such a cycle, not eliminating any nutrient group tho the ratios will change.

I'd also like to understand why you say total calories are the point, not the rations of calories. From my research/training, it is very much the ratios of fat/protein/carbs that make up total calorie count that are critical for health, and particularly important for tuning nutrient intake for your goals and your body type for your training

So, again, could you provide sources to back up your statement about lack of need for carbohydrates and that nutrient ratios, only total calories are important?

with thanks
    mc
    Last edited by mc wb; 12-16-2007 at 10:46 AM.

I was about to reply to your q but realized you dodged the question on your field of specialty twice now, asked by both holto and slim.