The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hurt my back deadlifting...how serious is it?

I realize that it is difficult to adequately describe an injury over the internet, yet I will attempt do to so as clearly and precisely as I can.

Yesterday, in my second set of deadlifts, I hurt my lower back as I lowered the weight to the floor for the second rep. As far as I can tell, a combination of leg soreness and general fatigue caused my form to suffer; my lower back became arched and bore the brunt of the weight. Almost immediately, I noticed a sharp pain in my lower back, just above of, if not at the same level as, my waistline. It is a sharp, singular pain; it isn't diffused throughout the muscle. Rather, it seems to be concentrated in a single point. There is also a large degree of stiffness associated with the pain; it is difficult to bend my back past a certain point.

Any ideas as to what this may be? It is not an unfamiliar pain, as it has happened before, but it has never been this serious. For a while, I plan to take the following steps: take it very easy on any exercise which significantly stressed the lower back; abnegate deadlifts entirely; and focus on core-strengthening exercises.

Suggestions?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Please read this post. If I were you, I'd take a week off and ice the affected area, but then again, I am not a doctor.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference... The Marines don't have that problem."
    President Ronald Reagan - 1985

Wannabebig Member
    I injured my back years ago doing T-bar Rows and had pain shooting down my leg! It was a miserable feeling! I couldn't lift even if I wanted to. I went to the doc and he gave me some muscle relaxors and after a lil time, it started feeling better.

The only thing now is, if I do anything in bad form, I injure my back REALLY easy; so I have to pay special attention to form from NOW ON OUT! I was doing squats Monday night and slacked on my form a tad bit and got a small pain in my lower back. I finished my sets with excellent form and continued on. It was a lil sore this morning, but feels good now........ I hope it gets better!

bone crusher
    it is probably just a muscle strain but you should see someone

I know the pain you're having as I got the same pain when my squat form slipped for only a split second. It's been at least 4 months and my back seems to just now be healing up, so you may wanna get it checked out by a doc as I did not.

It sucks not being able to stretch right though, I couldn't even reach my feet with both hands to put socks on, lol.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody