Thread: Hurt my back deadlifting...how serious is it?

Hybrid View

Hurt my back deadlifting...how serious is it?

I realize that it is difficult to adequately describe an injury over the internet, yet I will attempt do to so as clearly and precisely as I can.

Yesterday, in my second set of deadlifts, I hurt my lower back as I lowered the weight to the floor for the second rep. As far as I can tell, a combination of leg soreness and general fatigue caused my form to suffer; my lower back became arched and bore the brunt of the weight. Almost immediately, I noticed a sharp pain in my lower back, just above of, if not at the same level as, my waistline. It is a sharp, singular pain; it isn't diffused throughout the muscle. Rather, it seems to be concentrated in a single point. There is also a large degree of stiffness associated with the pain; it is difficult to bend my back past a certain point.

Any ideas as to what this may be? It is not an unfamiliar pain, as it has happened before, but it has never been this serious. For a while, I plan to take the following steps: take it very easy on any exercise which significantly stressed the lower back; abnegate deadlifts entirely; and focus on core-strengthening exercises.

Suggestions?

Please read this post. If I were you, I'd take a week off and ice the affected area, but then again, I am not a doctor.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference... The Marines don't have that problem."
    President Ronald Reagan - 1985

Wannabebig Member
    I injured my back years ago doing T-bar Rows and had pain shooting down my leg! It was a miserable feeling! I couldn't lift even if I wanted to. I went to the doc and he gave me some muscle relaxors and after a lil time, it started feeling better.

The only thing now is, if I do anything in bad form, I injure my back REALLY easy; so I have to pay special attention to form from NOW ON OUT! I was doing squats Monday night and slacked on my form a tad bit and got a small pain in my lower back. I finished my sets with excellent form and continued on. It was a lil sore this morning, but feels good now........ I hope it gets better!

bone crusher
    it is probably just a muscle strain but you should see someone

I know the pain you're having as I got the same pain when my squat form slipped for only a split second. It's been at least 4 months and my back seems to just now be healing up, so you may wanna get it checked out by a doc as I did not.

It sucks not being able to stretch right though, I couldn't even reach my feet with both hands to put socks on, lol.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody