The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Strength Coach/ Athlete Rawgrip's Avatar

Hang clean and power clean

There are couple of questions that i wanted to ask about the two. I've been training a young athlete and i was never in favor of Olympic lifts like cleans because they take time to learn, if you want them to be done properly.

If the main goal of the athlete is for power, so speedy delivery of strength for a greater athletic transfer of power. Which would be better out of the two for that purpose or isn't there much difference.

I've been spending time teaching the athlete proper form with no weight, broom stick, watching correct videos and so on. I will continue to until i see that the athlete has fully understood the correct for but i wanted to know which is better i guess thats the word to use.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I can't really offer too much advice as I've never trained athletes but I'm curious as to why you would only teach one?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Strength Coach/ Athlete Rawgrip's Avatar
    Well i probably didn't make it clear, i meant an athlete i am training perosonly at this moment. I train more athletes but at this moment in time he is where i spend my most tuition time. I have couple rugby players lined up for training, nothing special just explosive power and strength development.

As i still count my self as the average lifter i wanted to know other peoples opinions on Olympic lifts especially powercleans as it is taking a while for this running back to learn them.

Banned
    If you're not feeling comfortable with his form I would go with power cleans because there isn't a full squat involved. Dropping into the squat is an easy place to lose your form.

I'm probably going to ge flamed for this, but here goes.

Many people are far too concerned about form and technique on the olympic lifts. Yes, you need flawless form to place well in olympic competitions, but your average lifter isn't interested in that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that form isn't important, I'm saying that it isn't as important as a lot fo people make it out to be. Furthermore, the same people will willingly perform a heavy squat, bench or deadlift without putting anywhere near the same effort into learning proper technique. Why is there such a discrepancy?