Thread: Routines and Failure

Wannabebig Member WhiteMonkeyKing's Avatar

Routines and Failure

Hmm, ok my first question is this: The routine provided by the forums here only has you working out a muscle group once per week. I've always heard that you must work a muscle group out around 3 times a week. I'm sure it is correct, and I am wrong but I would like to know. Would you guys recommend following the workout routine on this forum?
    Second, ideally you are suppose to complete a set to failure. However, I mostly work out alone and I find that I could probably do another rep or two if I had a spotter. So does this mean that when I workout alone I am not actually working out to failure and I am therefore NOT breaking down my muscle enough? Am I just wasting my time?
    Lastly, diet. I worked out for about 7 months straight going consistently. Yet, I did not see many physical changes, I simply got stronger. I was able to lift probably twice the amount I was prior to working out and then plateaued... Was this due to diet? If someone could direct me to a diet thread I would appreciate it.

right now i took the WBB 1 routine and kinda doubled it
    Mon/Thurs-chest/back
    Tues/Fri-legs
    Wens/sat-arms(shoulders, biceps, triceps)

that hits em real nice two times a week, and thats plenty ...personally....
    3 times a week would mean cramming exercises and muscle groups together and overloading. unless you have some perfect routine?

i work out alone too and i noticed i could probalby tackle a few more reps also. but if you notice that, try adding a little bit more weight.

plateaued was and kinda wasnt due to diet. you need to change your routine up now, and eat more. well eat more if changing your routine doesnt work.
    http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php link will lead you to foods you should try to limit your diet to. and there are of course supplements and all that goods stuff.

this is all from personal knowledge, im no pro but i hope this helps
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

You can still train effectively without going to failure -

it works, but it can be a pain sometimes to not have the motivation of a friend to help train

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMonkeyKing View Post
    Second, ideally you are suppose to complete a set to failure. .
    Says who?
    Sarvamangalam!

I thought that it was ideal to complete your reps to failure. I think I have read that several places, am I mistaken? Also no one has really provided me with a clean answers to my first question. If I go by the WBB workout routine I'm only, for example, working out my biceps once a week. That is sufficient to see results?

the ones that have their tongues in their cheeks say training to failure trains you to fail

You will see results as long as you force your muscles to grow (lift heavy enough weight to generate a reponse from your muscles), usually you want to aim for 1 or 2 reps short of failure on your last set. Also you must consume enough calories for your body to create muscle. WBB1 is a good routine.. if you dont like it there are several other good ones around, maybe try http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007/...baby-got-back/
    5'7

bench - 245 x 2
    squat - 315 x 5
    dl- 355 x 1
    goal - Bigger Faster Stronger

Banned
    twice a week is how often you should train every body part. one heavy day and one light day. never go to failure. make the last few really hard, but not to failure.

Ok, I'm really trying to find out all the information I can about this stuff before I waste anymore of my time just going to the gym and trick myself into believing I'm actually doing something...
    So conclusion:
    Work out each muscle group twice a week, once hard, once light. Basically MOD the WBB routine so that I workout each group twice a week instead of once? Also your not suppose to rep until failure, but on the verge of failure. Is this what I'm understanding?
    Last edited by WhiteMonkeyKing; 11-28-2007 at 01:03 AM.

Don't worry guys... I'm here.. And I brought some real knowledge with me.

WBB1 will work fine for you. You don't need to train your biceps twice or 3 times a week to make gains. You'll also notice that there is back work in that routine, which hits the biceps indirectly (once directly + once indirectly = hit twice in a week!). If you really want some more frequency, take a look at WBB1.1 or Baby Got Back.

As for training to failure. Don't do it.. If you need more proof, do a search and find the countless threads on how training to failure all the time is detrimental to your progress. Obviously going to failure by accident won't be the end of the world and going to failure can be a great way to change things up every once and a while but it is NOT a technique that should be applied frequently.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Banned
    sunday - light bench, triceps, shoulders

monday - heavy squat/deadlift, lower and upper back/traps(biceps if u must), hams, glutes, hips, etc.

wednesday - heavy bench, triceps shoulders.

friday - light squat/deadlift, lower and upper back/traps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zztoproadster View Post
    sunday - light bench, triceps, shoulders

monday - heavy squat/deadlift, lower and upper back/traps(biceps if u must), hams, glutes, hips, etc.

wednesday - heavy bench, triceps shoulders.

friday - light squat/deadlift, lower and upper back/traps, etc.
    You do a heavy deadlift and squat on the same day?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

So just to get on the right track, I can do the WBB routine 1 for now switch in about 7 weeks to maybe WWB routine 2 or "baby got back", not quite performing to failure, eat right 6 meals a day 1.5 grams of protein per pound etc... and I should be doing something right......right?

must eat more
    wow this is news to me...i do 3 sets of 8 reps on verge of failure, the last set going to failure by rep 6-7. 4 total. i thought to stimulate muscle u need some failure.
    nzk

must eat more
    anyone?
    nzk

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMonkeyKing View Post
    Hmm, ok my first question is this: The routine provided by the forums here only has you working out a muscle group once per week. I've always heard that you must work a muscle group out around 3 times a week. I'm sure it is correct, and I am wrong but I would like to know. Would you guys recommend following the workout routine on this forum?
    Second, ideally you are suppose to complete a set to failure. However, I mostly work out alone and I find that I could probably do another rep or two if I had a spotter. So does this mean that when I workout alone I am not actually working out to failure and I am therefore NOT breaking down my muscle enough? Am I just wasting my time?
    Lastly, diet. I worked out for about 7 months straight going consistently. Yet, I did not see many physical changes, I simply got stronger. I was able to lift probably twice the amount I was prior to working out and then plateaued... Was this due to diet? If someone could direct me to a diet thread I would appreciate it.
    1- I'd say three times a week is overkill. 2 should be sufficient, but 3 may work for some people, but it is by no means a absolute rule. I just don't see it as allowing adequate time for recovery. 1 time a week is enough for many people.

2- Completing a set to failure is a tool, but should not be used all the time. To much strain on your CNS.

3- You want to look bigger? Eat bigger. More calories in than are being burned up, and you'll be huge.

must eat more
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post
    1- I'd say three times a week is overkill. 2 should be sufficient, but 3 may work for some people, but it is by no means a absolute rule. I just don't see it as allowing adequate time for recovery. 1 time a week is enough for many people.

2- Completing a set to failure is a tool, but should not be used all the time. To much strain on your CNS.

3- You want to look bigger? Eat bigger. More calories in than are being burned up, and you'll be huge.
    well im gaining weight, unfortunately most of it is fat, very little muscle mass.
    my typical macros that give me approx 1-2 pounds per week:

current weight: 170 lb.
    calories: 3200
    fat 25%
    carbs 40%
    protein 35% (260 gms)

no sugary foods, soda, fast food, junk etc. im thinking since my diet is in order it must be my routine, which is essentially 4 sets of 8 reps per body part, last set being to failure:

monday: chest, tris, shoulders
    tues: off
    wed: back, bis, traps
    thurs: off
    fri: legs, abs

can anyone critique this?
    nzk

Hmm well thanks for all the feedback and positive comments I'll try the routine on this forum with a proper diet and we shall see how that goes.

Good luck!

and keep eating damnit!
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9