Thread: Pre Vs Post WO Protein

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar

Pre Vs Post WO Protein

I've always wondered: is it more benificial to consume a shake pre or post workout? My rational is that if you consume a shake pre workout, it would take several hours for your body to digest all the protein, so you would get a steady source of protein throughout your workout and after as well. It seems like this is more benificial than consuming a shake right after you work out, because I can't imagine that your stomach starts digesting protein right away.

I always try and consume a pre and post workout shake, but it just always made more sense to have a pre workout shake instead of a post workout shake (if you can only afford the calories for one).

found this on some site debating the same issue....

Actually, protein synthesis (hypertrophy/muscle gain) is not a phenomenon that is in any way accelerated immediately after your training. More happens during your recovery as a response to training. The only need for protein is simply to replace the branched-chain amino acids that were burned for energy during the session, otherwise they will not be available for recovery. The post-workout shake is far more important for glycogen replenishment - in other words, it is the quality of carbs after a workout, because there is a window of opportunity to replenish the energy you burned within your muscles.
    Last edited by xproushe; 12-03-2007 at 07:20 PM.