The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Low, lower back pain

My lower back, like at the very bottom, an inch or two above my butt, gets extremely tight sometimes after workouts, to the point that it's a little uncomfortable. It doesn't even have to be back day, when I'm doing squats it'll tighten up and I have to sit down between sets. It's been like this for a while but has been bothering me a little more lately. The last couple months it'll feel a little sore multiple days of the week, even if I haven't lifted that day. When I arch my back and stick my stomach out I can feel the tightness I described, even as I'm sitting in my chair right now I can feel it.

It doesn't really effect anything, I can still deadlift and squat perfectly fine and it doesn't really hurt while doing excercises, it seems to get bad after I'm done. I guess the best way to describe it is: compare the feeling in my lower back to when you've just working something like your triceps and they're so pumped it's almost painfully uncomfortable.

Am I overthinking it and my back's simply sore from working out? I've tried taking a week off but it didn't really make a difference. I can't think what else it could be, if I had really injured my back I'm sure I would be in a ton of pain by now after hundreds of deadlift reps. I'm thinking about seeing a chiropractor when I'm home over Christmas, when I was younger I had back trouble and I had a doc 'straighten stuff out' and it got a little better.

As funny as it sounds, I sometimes also get this 'back tightness' after running for long distances. I remember during track in highscool at times I'd have to lay down because my lower back was so sore after running.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Is it only on one side or in the middle? Sounds like where I get the pain but mine is only on my right side. Mine hurts most when squatting heavy but not so much when deadlifting.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

It's pretty even on both sides, so I'd say right in the middle.

I've been having this pain again lately. No clue why it went away since last time, but today afte deadlifts I could barely walk around. I had to sit, and even then the pain was pretty bad, I just couldn't get into a confortable position. Like I explained before, it feels like my lower back muscles are extremely tight/pumped. Sitting here, a couple hours after my workout howerver, I feel fine. I won't feel anything in my back now untill Thursday when I go to do squats, and it'll flare up a little bit (but not nearly as bad as when I work my back)

I still haven't seen a doc about it, but I really don't know if there's anything they could do. I still believe it's just extremely sore/tight muscles.

Maybe you need to stretch a little. Sit on the floor with your legs straight in front of you, grab your ankles, and pull your upper body towards your feet. While doing this, take a couple deep breathes and then totally relax your back. Just relax and keep yourself in this position for a couple minutes, gradually pulling on your ankles.

I had problems with my lower back as well, and deadlifting and stretching have helped.

Robot Frankenstein themidnighter's Avatar
    I'm having almost the exact same problem. It feels like muscle soreness in part, but it also feels like I can't bend over forward without feeling, not pain exactly, but a certain fatigue in my spine. It all started when I accidentally did straight-legged deadlifts with regular deadlift weight (I was ******ed that day, and apparently lost the ability to read numbers, lol). I didn't compromise my form, but my lower back still felt weird for a while. A couple weeks passed and it went away. Then, on Tuesday I squatted the heaviest I have in a long time, and the discomfort returned.

It's not exactly pain, per say, and I feel the usual muscle soreness, but there's something else there too. I don't think my deadlift/squat form has been poor.

Could it be that my spine isn't being supported by the full strength of my lower back muscles because they're fatigued and it feels weird? Or is it indicative of something worse? Should I worry?

Wannabebig Member
    I had this before too. You must make a difference between is it from the lower back muscles or from the backbone.
    If it is from the backbone, you should consult a doc.
    It is from the muscle, so I think you are having a job where you sit the whole day. Anyway, you should stretch and important running two times a week for ~ 30 min or swim.

I've been trying to remember to stretch every night and it's helped a litttttle bit. Last back day I didn't feel quite as bad, although I still have terrible tightness right now, 3 days after having worked my back. I ordered some ETS earlier today, we'll see if that helps any as I truly do think this is a muscle issue.

Doesn't sound good either way man. Take it form me, once you start down the road to early back pain.. it doesn't get any better. I compressed a few disks in college which led to more dmg, etc. etc. and my back pain has gotten to the point where I've been unable to walk for days. I wish you luck in fixing what's wrong and hope you don't ever get to the point that I am at being 28 yrs old and dealing with this. It's a struggle to get out of bed every day.
    Last edited by Commute; 03-06-2008 at 08:44 AM.
    GOALS:
    Current Weight 242 4/16/10
    Bench - 275 current / 315 Goal
    Squat - 225 / 285* Goal
    Deadlift - 325 current / 365* Goal
    *Note: Herniated L5/S1 disk since 2001, almost bone on bone.
    ***Journal***

If it's the same thing that I feel, don't worry about it. For me, it's just lower back fatigue. It acts up when I do deads, SDLD, or squats with more back involvement then I should. It gets worse when I walk to the water fountain between sets.

I just do some mild stretches to increase bloodflow. I lay on my back and pull my kneeds to my chest by grabbin behind my knees at the bottom of my hams. Other times just doing weightless GMs helps do.

Just make sure you don't get any sharp pains.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

No, I've never had sharp pains.

I've always had trouble with my lowerback muscles, which is why I think that's what is still acting up now. I actually had to sit out a couple weeks of track when I was in highschool because distance running was making my back so tight. I also used to have trouble in basketball during the first couple weeks of conditioning. I'd tighten up and could do nothing else but go sit down for a while untill it felt better.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    I experience the same thing, but after I stretch it goes away. Even if i take a couple weeks away from the weights my back will still be tight.
    Last edited by North; 03-06-2008 at 06:49 PM.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

I've been dealing with this. My physical therapist thought it was poor spacing between my L4 and L5 which was making it difficult to stretch the muscle.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

i actually just went to the doc about this today. the only difference is my lower back "pain" is concentrated on my right side. it almost feels like it needs to be cracked or something, anyway my doc gave me 9 different exercises and stretches to do before working out. she also recommended i concentrate some lifts to building more core muscles. supposedly building core muscles help relieve lower back pain. right now im trying to develop a new routine that builds core muscles and trying to still be able to bench.

Funny, mines concentrated on my left side.

I've actually thought about working my core more. I don't work my abs at all, so maybe I have some muscle imbalance and my backs pulling a little? I had a similar problem with bad knee aches a year or so ago. I started working my hams which I'd never done before and the pain eventually went away. All quads and no hams = no good.

I just got my order of ETS in today. We'll see in a week or so if that helps any. I've also started stretching every night.

my doc also suggested to me why only one side of my back hurts and not the other... If your lower left back muscles are stronger than your right side, they will pull ur spine out of alignment or something like that. Then your muscles try to pull back in the process of locking everything up creating pain.

I have the same discomfort you guys are all describing as well. Sometimes at the end of my workout I load up 2-3 plates on a dip belt and hang from a bar. Gotta make sure to have the belt real low on your butt so it deloads the whole spine.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

So I called my doctor's office today about my x-rays on my lower back... Its been almost 2 weeks since I got them and they never called. So they said to come in and see what I got to do next.
    I am assuming that my problem is with muscles then... because I would assume that it would be fairly easy to spot a slipped disc... compressed disc... or anything of the sort.
    I will update with more information as I get it.
    My sig scared getfit.

I finally couldn't take it aymore and went to the doc today. The guy I saw was pretty badass to say the least, gruff old ass dude. I went in already to defend my lifting because I knew what most docs would say about doing heavy ass deadlifts and squats, but to my suprise, this doc used to lift pretty heavy back when he was younger. He said he benched 300 and squatted 400 at 185 pounds, lol. He also tranied in martial arts for 25 years.

Anyway, after describing all my symptoms he agreed that it was most likely just my lower back muscles, but ordered x-ray's just in case, to rule out any disc damage. X-ray's came out great, he said one section looked like it could be a teeny bit compressed, but it's impossible to tell, and overall my back looked very good.

His advice was to work on my core/abs because I could have an imbalance, and keep stretching. He never once told me to stop working out, just to ease up a little on the weight if it starts to hurt too much and maybe take breaks more often.

I hate to tell ya bro, but a X-ray won't rule out compression, bulging or any ruptures. I had very similar conditions as you. I kept lifting on it and ended up tearing some muscles in my lower back which then lead to a bulge in L4-L5. The X-ray my dad took came back awesome. Nothing showed at all. It wasn't until I had an MRI done that the bulge showed up.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Hmmmm, good to know. I'll take things carefully and if it doesn't get better in a few weeks I'll go back in. The only reason I sway towards the tight muscle reasoning is because I've had these symptoms twice before, each time being a couple years apart. I'd get the same symptoms during track season just from running. After a while it seemed to go away.

Wouldn't something like a herniated disk give me more trouble all the time though? I know the best test is definitely an MRI, but he did a lot of prodding around and bending **** to see if I experienced any pain.

I've never experienced anything close to sharp pain, or even actual pain. Just a very tight feeling.

Lie on the floor.

Get someone to place their shing across your ass, and put all their weight on it.

Raise your lower back and wiggle around a little.

Its called a sacrum release, my coach does it to me often.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Lie on the floor.

Get someone to place their shing across your ass, and put all their weight on it.

Raise your lower back and wiggle around a little.

Its called a sacrum release, my coach does it to me often.
    Sweet, Fuzzy. I'm gonna have my wife try that on me!

You're just full of good information.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Sweet, Fuzzy. I'm gonna have my wife try that on me!

You're just full of good information.

Thanks guido...

remember me oh... a year ago? pity I'm dyslexic as all ****.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 03-28-2008 at 08:56 PM.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.