Thread: BGB ab exercises

Wannabebig Member

BGB ab exercises

I have been donig the baby got back sample routine for about 4 months now. The only isolated ab exercise is weighted crunches which I have been doing. What I was wondering is whether I could ad some more ab work? I also dont think there is any isolated trap work? Any suggestions? Also, what would be good to add if possible? Thanks.
    Last edited by Whoshot; 12-03-2007 at 10:10 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I would think for abs the crunches are adequate. You should be getting ab work from squats and other movements as well. As for trap work, I think the rows and deads will be more than enough. My traps are getting bigger without any trap work. I'm sure Built and others will chime in, I'm no expert.

You could throw in something like hanging leg lifts to go along with the weighted crunches.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Weighted crunches are all you really need for abs. But if you want to add extra core work, make sure to do as many exercises standing as possible including military presses and bicep/tricep work.

Deads are the best exercise you could do for your traps. Just make sure you keep that proud chest throughout the movement and it will keep your traps in an isometric contraction throughout the exercise and I guarantee you'll feel it the next day. And this also goes for Romanian Deads. If you wanted, you could also do cleans/ power cleans/ hanging cleans. You'll get better mass, power and definition doing these exercises than stupid shrugs. The guys that do shrugs have these weirdly thin/fibrous traps where guys that do deads have huge meaty shelves for shoulders and upper backs. Ultimately - you want meat, not facade.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

How does everyone feel about weighted plank hold as an ab exercise? I definitely feel the burn while doing it, but it seems like it might be more endurance than strength based. Is it also effective for building core strength?

Planks are awesome for abs too. Most ab exercises look bizarre. Anything isometric like that will definitely build endurance and strength.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs