Thread: wrestling

Wannabebig Member

wrestling

I have been doing the same lifting routine now for the past 4-5 months now.I have seen good gains in strength and size.i like my current routine alot.It suits my needs.My roustine is as follows.(keep in mind i work out at home and i have somewhat limited weights,bars,etc)

Sat-3 by 8 Military press
    3 by 8 flat bench
    3 by 8 decline headbangers(i get a better rom this way)
    3 by 8 bb rows
    and then missellaneous bs like curls,etc. after im done with main stuff

wed-squats

the question is i have recently started wrestling and i know im goin to lose weight.2-3 pounds or more per practice easily.So, my question is as follows:is it possible for me to continue gaining strenghth and or size if i continue wrestling because i know i will be in a caloric deficit most days.if so how?should i rearrange my lifting to the weekend only and try to pig out on carbs and protein then?please help

Wannabebig Member
    In wrestling you only lose water weight and fat. From what I've heard you gain it all back in muscle at the end of the year.

Yeah, I know.....Its huge Ockhams_Razor's Avatar
    i wouldn't only lift on the weekends, since that is when most of your competitions/meets will be, and you wanna be well rested for those. and you don't lose 2-3 pounds of actual weight, its all water weight you lose. just keep lifting whenever you can, and eat eat and eat, unless you are trying to make weight, then obviously don't eat that much.
    "Only advantage of having a larger ROM in the gym is to punch newbies who try to steal your equipment." -mikey4402

Yeah man i'm scared as **** i'm going to lose all my muscle. Even though i'm still 170 I can see my chest shrinking from not lifting for a week.

W.I.T
    That's in your head.

In wrestling, you don't lose any weight other than sloppy weight. It may delay muscle gains due to the weight-tied nature of the sport, but if you are in a position to wrestle up a weight or two, you could still lift, eat, and make good gains.

Wannabebig Member
    If possible try to lift on monday and wednesday mornings. Make sure you keep the weight heavy but you can safely take the volume down a bit. If you are limited on time in the morning focus on the compound lifts as they are most important. On friday mornings you can probably get an extra lift in if you don't have a competition the next day, if you do, you could try a feeder workout and get a good stretch in.
    Weight: 250-255 Height:6'0"
    Current: 515/320/585 (unequipped)
    Goals for year end: 545/345/615 BW: 245

Not sure what your specific situation is, but working on your anaerobic endurance is always a good idea if you plan on grappling seriously.