The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

What's the best way to get into powerlifting?

So I've been lifting now for about 5 months, following WBB1 workout. Gone from 200lbs --> 220lbs in that time (Don't have any updated pics up yet).

I've found that I enjoy doing heavy compound lifts, that's why I'd like to try PL'ing.
    Do you guys think I should continue with the WBB1 routine till I develop more experience, or is there a PL'ing routine I should start with? I've eyeballed the 5x5, and have seen some mention of Westside... these recommended beginner routines?

One other question, tonight I tried a Max effort bench, I put up 235lbs for 1. Bumped it up to 245lbs, got it about half way, started struggling a bit and lifted my arse off the bench.... unfortunately my spotter didn't let me finish it, he put his hands on the bar and helped me out (not really sure how much).... If I lift my arse off the bench, but complete the lift should I consider this as a new PR, or should I really try and keep it on the bench at all costs even if I fail?

Thanks guys, look forward to learning a lot and having fun at the same time!
    Last edited by fpr; 12-04-2007 at 09:22 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

After 5 months you should know your lifts pretty well. I would try bill starr 5x5, squatting 3 times a week really teaches you a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    So I've been lifting now for about 5 months, following WBB1 workout. Gone from 200lbs --> 220lbs in that time (Don't have any updated pics up yet).

I've found that I enjoy doing heavy compound lifts, that's why I'd like to try PL'ing.
    Do you guys think I should continue with the WBB1 routine till I develop more experience, or is there a PL'ing routine I should start with? I've eyeballed the 5x5, and have seen some mention of Westside... these recommended beginner routines?

One other question, tonight I tried a Max effort bench, I put up 235lbs for 1. Bumped it up to 245lbs, got it about half way, started struggling a bit and lifted my arse off the bench.... unfortunately my spotter didn't let me finish it, he put his hands on the bar and helped me out (not really sure how much).... If I lift my arse off the bench, but complete the lift should I consider this as a new PR, or should I really try and keep it on the bench at all costs even if I fail?

Thanks guys, look forward to learning a lot and having fun at the same time!
    I would count the 235. 245 you had assistance (even if it was slight) and you arse came off the bench. Bahbaow no lift.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

I would count a gym lift if my ass came off the bench but I finished the lift. You need to keep your ass on the bench though, it's harder to press when your ass comes up.

You can try the 5x5 or a Westside template, or you could try Defranco's WS for skinny bastards template. Just pick something and stick with it for about a year and see where you're going. If it's working well, stay with it. If it's not working, figure out why and make a change.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Custom User Title
    Counting a gym lift where your ass comes up is a personal decision (getting assistance, however slight, negates the lift though, imo). It would not however be a legitimate lift in a powerlifting competition. If you're getting into a PL routine, it might be good to judge your lifts by powerlifting standards
    DL 650x1 (raw)
    SQ 479x1 (raw), 700x1(suit+briefs)
    BP 395x1 (raw), 457x1 (single ply)

Current: 6'1, 265; Goal: 6'6, 270

Training log

Banned
    i dont count them, as i have done 405 with my butt off the bench, but only 380 with strict form. if you count them for powerlifting you only count the lifts you do in competition.