Thread: WarmUpS

Hybrid View

WarmUpS

should i warm up for every exercise i do

Milk is your friend Vicioustorms's Avatar
    if its weights just warmup with really light weights it gets the blood flowing. well thats what i do anyway. and before i do legs i just stretch.
    Last edited by Vicioustorms; 12-05-2007 at 02:02 AM.
    16 years old
    181cm

You warm up body parts, not lifts. For example, you only need to warm up once for your chest (which will include shoulders). You do not need to warm up flat bench, incline bench and decline bench and dips (if that's your chest workout). If you go to shoulders, they should be sufficiently warmed up.

However, doing a very light "warmup" set to get yourself used to a particular movement is just fine. For example, if you are doing incline after flat bench, you don't need to warm up the chest/shoulders, but throwing a minimum amount of weight on the bar and doing 10 reps to get yourself used to the movement might be a good idea.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I also find that I have to do several light warmup sets with squats to get my knees working. My knees are pretty stiff for some reason, but after 2-3 light sets, then a heavier warmup prior to my work sets, they free right up and feel fine for the work sets.

Warm up your rotator cuffs Before you bench, and maybe for shoulders. There's lots of links on the web for rotator cuff movements. I usually just grab a 10lbs plate and do circles, and basically do some reps with it as if I was driving a car with no turn signals... _! !_ you know, stop, and right turn..I think it is..lol Those are cuff movements.

etc, etc...

I'm also sure to stretch my groin and torso before squatting, along with my shoulders. My delts fight me like crazy to get back far enough to rest the bar correctly.

As for everything else, I pretty much warm up every lift with light sets. I fail a lot sooner, whether it be the muscle group I'm working or my joints (like wrist pain on the bench) if I don't warm up in 20-30lbs increments...just 3-4 reps, to get the feel of it and stretch out. It's probably because I work at a desk with very little movement during the day, but my muscles are generally very tight when I start a workout.

I'm also 28. I never warmed up when I goofed around in the gym 7-8 years ago, either.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083