The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Cardio only a metabolism trick?

Is Cardio only there to get you in a calorie deficit or is actually usefull in another way like does it actually improve the ratio between mass and fat lost in a cut?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

From what I know, with low intensity cardio, you can get in to fat burning zone (ie. not much muscle glycogen or amino acid being used).

Also, it raises your metabolism even after you perform it.

Just do it!
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

what about with HIT?

id do it anyway as im a basketball team but im just wondering.
    some people say this fat burning range while others are all for high intensity interval cardio.

im not really looking to increase metabolism. im actually having trouble getting enough good kcals into my diet so.

I'm actually wondering why lower intensity cardio is supposed to be better for burning fat. You would think that the faster your heartrate is going, the more fat you'd burn. Why is it that 65% of max heart rate is good for fat burning and 80% is good for cardio, but not fat burning? Anyone....anyone....Bueller....?
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

Because the harder you work the less oxidative a fuel source is required. As long as you keep a somewhat relaxed pace your body can use fat as a fuel source which requires oxygen, as your intensity increases your body will use glucose as it cannot get the required amount of oxygen fast enough to utilize fat efficiently. This is a general description and it's more complex but this somewhat answers the question.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 03-12-2002 at 02:37 PM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

what heart rate would be ideal for that LP

A couple additional benefits:

1. Increased insulin sensitivity, from what the experts say.

2. Increases your ability to perform aerobically , (Vo2 max I believe it's called). If you want to play a sport, etc, it's of great benefit.

Plus it's so much FUN!

There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back.

must eat more
    so why does HIIT work? if u need low intensity to burn fat, then HIIT definitely is not low intensity, but mostly anaerobic in my opinion. i dont even know if HIIT really works, or is it just hype? how come no one at my gym uses it?
    nzk

HIIT is a time efficient way to burn calories but some of those calories will be from sources other than fat.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Cardio is important for health and El Pietro's post was right. One nice thing about HIT (or any sprinting for that matter) is that, like weight training, it elevates metabolism after the activity is finished much longer than low intensity aerobics.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

just why do i want to speed up my metabolism so much?
    i actually find the diet i have to be quite a shitload of food already

Originally posted by Reinier
    just why do i want to speed up my metabolism so much?
    i actually find the diet i have to be quite a shitload of food already
    True. You may not want to, but many people who do cardio do it to burn calories, so speeding up their metabolism through HIIT is something they might want.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal