Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does calorie distribution REALLY affect metabolism and overall weight loss

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM

does calorie distribution REALLY affect metabolism and overall weight loss

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1835798
    I was reading this and would like to know if you all have read studies proving or disproving this and where those studies are.

I am talking about the 6 small meals vs. 3 medium meals vs. 1 big meal

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nddillon View Post
    [
    I was reading this and would like to know if you all have read studies proving or disproving this and where those studies are.

I am talking about the 6 small meals vs. 3 medium meals vs. 1 big meal
    yes there's a lot of research on this topic. You need a pubmed subscription to get at the articles. do you have that?

there's also a few books on what's called "nutrient timing" that supports the claim.

The thesis is rather straight-forward: if you put more fuel into your system than you can use at a go, the excess fuel gets stored, more often than not as fat. So for fat management, that's one reason to keep to feedings regularly.

There's also issues about times of day that our systems can best handle different kinds of nutrients.

There's also notions of regularly refreshing the types of energy we need to stay optimally fueled - energy available for our needs.

As said, if you can get access to pubmed, i can point you to a few articles.

mc wb

Quote Originally Posted by mc wb View Post
    yes there's a lot of research on this topic. You need a pubmed subscription to get at the articles. do you have that?

there's also a few books on what's called "nutrient timing" that supports the claim.

The thesis is rather straight-forward: if you put more fuel into your system than you can use at a go, the excess fuel gets stored, more often than not as fat. So for fat management, that's one reason to keep to feedings regularly.

There's also issues about times of day that our systems can best handle different kinds of nutrients.

There's also notions of regularly refreshing the types of energy we need to stay optimally fueled - energy available for our needs.

As said, if you can get access to pubmed, i can point you to a few articles.

mc wb
    How about you log into pubmed and copy and paste those abstracts?

Now, obviously more fuel than the sytem needs leads to fat gain.

The issue is number of meals whille still being in caloric deficit.

So, make sure whatever you post includes that.

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    I can get access to pubmed.gov databases

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle View Post
    How about you log into pubmed and copy and paste those abstracts?
    are you speaking to me or to the other poster?

Now, obviously more fuel than the sytem needs leads to fat gain.

The issue is number of meals whille still being in caloric deficit.

So, make sure whatever you post includes that.
    I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you think people interpret 6 meals to mean doubling the calories of three meals, rather than understanding that this means distributing WHATEVER your calories are for a day across these feedings? To be clear, then, 6 or more feedings based on whatever macro nutrient ratios you've learned are appropriate for you, and whatever cal. loading is appropriate for your goals (you may be bulking up so eating above maintenance, or at maintenance, so not needing a caloric deficit, etc)

best

dr mc wb
    Last edited by mc wb; 12-04-2007 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mc wb View Post
    are you speaking to me or to the other poster?

I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you think people interpret 6 meals to mean doubling the calories of three meals, rather than understanding that this means distributing WHATEVER your calories are for a day across these feedings? To be clear, then, 6 or more feedings based on whatever macro nutrient ratios you've learned are appropriate for you, and whatever cal. loading is appropriate for your goals (you may be bulking up so eating above maintenance, or at maintenance, so not needing a caloric deficit, etc)

best

dr mc wb
    I am well aware of what you are talking about Gotta run now though.

What field do you specialize in?
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 12-04-2007 at 09:36 AM.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    mc wb:

This thread shows some abstracts done on meal frequency:

http://wannabebigforums.com/showthre...meal+frequency

Eating more frequently does not increase metabolism or impact body composition and has never been shown to do so in a clinical setting.
    Last edited by Holto; 12-04-2007 at 09:48 AM.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

thanks holto!

Yup, you eat 1000 calories, your body metabolizes them. You're not 'ramping up dat metabolism dude!' by splitting that into 15 mini-meals throughout the day. Calories in / calories out, don't know what else needs to be said!
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    thanks holto!

Yup, you eat 1000 calories, your body metabolizes them. You're not 'ramping up dat metabolism dude!' by splitting that into 15 mini-meals throughout the day. Calories in / calories out, don't know what else needs to be said!
    n you're not ramping up your metabolism, but you are limiting the amount of cals your body has to digest at a given time. and by doing that you're not giving your body enough cals to store fat, hence why it is a better way to eat.

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

It takes hours to digest and absorb food. So eating 6 meals a day really doesnt do anything else. If you have a 1000 calorie meal in the morning, it will take until lunch for it all to be digested and absorbed. In the mean time you can have snack, no problem. But the whole idea of constantly giving your body nutrients throughout the day is silly because thats what your body is already doing. Your never really giving yourself too much food at once, with the incredible length for digestion, absorption will be slow.

Some people like the 6 meal idea because it makes them feel fuller. Me, I love eating a few big meals a day as I dont really get hungry (although I can always eat food :P)

To some degree timing has an effect, but not nearly as much as how many calories. I wouldnt have a 3000 calorie meal in the morning because by the night your setting yourself up for muscle breakdown. While digestion takes time, if your eating a 3000 calorie meal I can safely assume its calorie dense thus making it easier to digest (more volume=longer diestion time). As a result, you may be done digestion after 5-6 hours rather than 4 leaving you screwed for the night. So one meal a day isnt the best, and 6 meals a day is fine, but its just as effective as say 3 a day.

Here are some digestion times

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...romoid=googlep

Some foods and their digestive times which Drs. Maile & Scott tested:

Hours Hours

Cane Sugar .... 1, Eggs, soft boiled. 2

Banana, raw .... 4 Eggs, raw 3

Gooseberries, stewed 3, Eggs, hard boiled. 4

Eggs & Milk, raw 4

White Bread 3... Beef, boiled 4

Cream, thin .... 3

Butter, 6 Vegetable Salad 2

As you can see, things take time. Really, it takes an entire day for food to go in and come out. While digestion takes 3-6 hours, absorption could take a lot longer. Thus eating 6 meals a day doesnt make a difference in the end.

The concept for eating 6 meals a day based on "keeping your body fueled" or "not giving your body too much at once" is a perfect example of scientific ignorance. Your never overloading your body like mad, your body always feeds itself slowly. Of course, eating 6 meals a day for comfort is a great idea but dont bring science into the picture.

Fat and protein generally take longer to digest and if you have them combined with some carbs your looking at a good 6 hour digestion.

BTW if you guys didnt know, Bananas contain some of the longest digesting carbs out there in fruit. And its not all fructose so dont worry lol.

From another thread I posted
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 12-05-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsclone View Post
    n you're not ramping up your metabolism, but you are limiting the amount of cals your body has to digest at a given time. and by doing that you're not giving your body enough cals to store fat, hence why it is a better way to eat.
    Assuming this bolded statement was accurate.

Why would this result in more fat gained over a period of time?

I think he's meaning t..... better use an example.

Eating 3k calories daily.

example1: eat a 3k meal, one time daily
    example2: eat a 500 calorie meal, 6X daily

In example one, he's proposing you'd gain more fat, since your body would have far more calories in it at one time than it could use for bodily functions/anabolism, and the rest would carry over into fat.

In example two, he's proposing that, since there's never enough surplus at any one time, your body wouldn't put on as much fat over a long time period.

Arnoldsclone, let me know if I botched that.

Either way though, it's inaccurate, it's calories in / calories out, you're not tricking the body by splitting your meals (hmmm, if you were, then I guess the most logical solution for clean bulking would be a liquid drip at a steady rate 24hrs a day, but I digress haha). The thing that a lot of people seem to miss is that the metabolism boost is directly related/correlated to the calorie intake, so yeah, while your 6 meals/day may have you at a higher metabolic rate at most times, it doesn't matter, since the 1 huge meal daily provides a shorter, yet far more pronounced, metabolic increase.

<did I get that right holto?>

holto - if you got a minute, I'd love to hear what you'd have to say on antioxidants over here:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=105101

Did you even read the article or abstract? Read up all the info on intermintent fasting if you really want to get more info.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    Did you even read the article or abstract? Read up all the info on intermintent fasting if you really want to get more info.
    i didn't get a chance to read it, i was just speaking from personal experience, i lost 100 lbs by having 6 small meals daily......i will read it though and jdiety you hit what i was getting at on the head lol

bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405

i didn't get a chance to read it, i was just speaking from personal experience, i lost 100 lbs by having 6 small meals daily......i will read it though and jdiety you hit what i was getting at on the head lol
    Yeah your body just doesn't work that way. Congrats on the weight loss dude.

You can also think of it like this. If you give your body a perfect stream of nutrients all day and (your logic) don't deposit fat, you're also never in need of breaking fat down. Again, though, your body doesn't work that way.

holto - if you got a minute, I'd love to hear what you'd have to say on antioxidants over here:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=105101
    I've actually been doing some reading/refreshing to do just that!

It's pretty simple, really. Nutrient timing WILL affect your metabolism. Will your metabolism affect your weight loss/gain? You bet!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Man I've done it all.. 8 meals a day, 4 meals a day, 1.5 meals a day.. As long as I'm eating 2800 cals, of which 250g of protein are involved I lose weight. Doesn't matter how I do it.. I still burn it up like a dude that let it drip for a month. Ohh and on days I allow myself more carbs it tends to be in the late evenings! *gasps* Yup, right before I hit the sack!

I'm not saying you guys are liars, or that the scientists are wrong, or that I don't care what you get for xmas... I'm just saying all that doesn't pertain to me, so I can save some time reading.

I lost 115lbs eating 3 meals a day, so 3 must be better then 6. Too bad that logic is flawed.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    Man I've done it all.. 8 meals a day, 4 meals a day, 1.5 meals a day.. As long as I'm eating 2800 cals, of which 250g of protein are involved I lose weight. Doesn't matter how I do it.. I still burn it up like a dude that let it drip for a month. Ohh and on days I allow myself more carbs it tends to be in the late evenings! *gasps* Yup, right before I hit the sack!

I'm not saying you guys are liars, or that the scientists are wrong, or that I don't care what you get for xmas... I'm just saying all that doesn't pertain to me, so I can save some time reading.

Most of the people with knowledge and this subject and the studies agree with you on this topic.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post

I'll second that eating before bed thing - I typically do 3 meals, one is always in bed watching a movie and it's one of my biggest of the day

I'll second that eating before bed thing - I typically do 3 meals, one is always in bed watching a movie and it's one of my biggest of the day
    i do the same thing but i have 5 meals daily and the 5th meal is at like 12pm right before i sleep lol, and it's the biggest, but i get out of the gym at like 1030 pm so i need thw biggest meal of the day then

so the general consensus then is that it doesn't matter when you eat your meals and how many you have as long as you don't go over the caloric amount you intended to stay at??

bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405

i do the same thing but i have 5 meals daily and the 5th meal is at like 12pm right before i sleep lol, and it's the biggest, but i get out of the gym at like 1030 pm so i need thw biggest meal of the day then

so the general consensus then is that it doesn't matter when you eat your meals and how many you have as long as you don't go over the caloric amount you intended to stay at??
    Yes.
    Timing does have an effect but not nearly as most people preach.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    It's pretty simple, really. Nutrient timing WILL affect your metabolism. Will your metabolism affect your weight loss/gain? You bet!
    So can you site flaws in the studies I posted?

I find it incredibly simple also. Which is why I trust the data.