Thread: Mono to Poly Ratio?

Mono to Poly Ratio?

Is there a specific ratio of mono to polyunsaturated fats I should consume? I thought I read something somewhere that said you should have a 2:1 ratio. However, I can't find it and I was looking for confirmation. Because , if that's the case, then why isn't it suggested that more canola oil be taken in instead of olive oil?
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Wannabebig Member
    I read somewhere (Berardi, or Poliquin) that Mono:Poly:Saturated should be 1:1:1, or 33% of each.

You should go as low as you can on poly, as long as you get your omega 3's.

33% of each is way too much if you have a semi-decent fat intake. More polyunsaturated fats = more oxidative damage.

7-10 percent of total calories from saturated fats,

About 10-15 percent of total calories from monounsaturated fats, and

About 10 percent from polyunsaturated fats.

Now before this gets slammed for percentages not applying to us, or how 30% of total calories as fat is too little, etc etc. ...

These numbers are what have been studied and shown to keep LDL levels and total cholesterol in check, general eat "healthy" and all that other fun stuff.

So, those numbers basically come out to roughly 33% of each. A higher percentage fat diet could adopt that same 33% rule of thumb.

As far as canola oil goes... http://www.canolainfo.org/
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 12-03-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle View Post
    7-10 percent of total calories from saturated fats,

About 10-15 percent of total calories from monounsaturated fats, and

About 10 percent from polyunsaturated fats.

Now before this gets slammed for percentages not applying to us, or how 30% of total calories as fat is too little, etc etc. ...

These numbers are what have been studied and shown to keep LDL levels and total cholesterol in check, general eat "healthy" and all that other fun stuff.

So, those numbers basically come out to roughly 33% of each. A higher percentage fat diet could adopt that same 33% rule of thumb.

As far as canola oil goes... http://www.canolainfo.org/
    So, your fat intake should come roughly a third from each type of fat.

Right on

I cant see how eating too many monounsaturated fats compared to the others can hurt you. Saturated I can understand... dont want too much of that stuff. I recall reading that too much poly isnt good for you in certain propotions (omega 3 and 6 specifically).

Chug that olive oil!

I eat too much poly from walnuts and sunflower seeds. But I'm addicted.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    Whats wrong with saturated fat? Us humans lived off animal fat for ages! Don't listen to the new wave anti-fad fads. Just avoid the processed crap, and eat ya damn steak, butter included.

Those same humans would also die before cardiovascular disease was a concern. All things in moderation and balance as described above.
    Last edited by TopCat; 12-03-2007 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMEI View Post
    Whats wrong with saturated fat? Us humans lived off animal fat for ages! Don't listen to the new wave anti-fad fads. Just avoid the processed crap, and eat ya damn steak, butter included.
    Who in this thread said Sats fat was bad?

Who in this thread touted any form of low or anti-fat?
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 12-03-2007 at 08:43 PM.

I completely agree, I ate two big t-bones yesterday and I'm going to do the same today. I feel so damn good being carnivore, I sleep better and I find university easier. Zero carbs = tibetan monk brain power!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Those same humans would also die before cardiovascular disease was a concern. All things in moderation and balance as described above.
    I'm emphasizing that humans evolved eating large amounts of Animal fat (and of course, other types of fat from seeds and nuts and such)... its what we are built for, its what we evolved by.

I said too much...
    Of course saturated is good for ya, but in excess its known to cause problems, more so than mono.

I'm emphasizing that humans evolved eating large amounts of Animal fat (and of course, other types of fat from seeds and nuts and such)... its what we are built for, its what we evolved by.
    I would venture to bet that fat intake from wild caught/killed game wasn't as high as you would think. The last deer I gutted didn't have a whole lot of fat on it. Possum, though, that's another story. You have to understand that wild game is much leaner than the stuff we get in the stores. So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that fat from nut, seed and vege sources, more than likely, made up the bulk of fat intake in, at the very least, prehistoric man. Of course I have absolutely no proof of this, but I'm sure someone industrious could reference dietary intakes of indigenous African, or early Native American populations to find macro breakdowns - if they exist. I'm sure a great deal of dietary variation would occur by region, as well, given the types of animals and their bio makeup that would exist in said region.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by djreef View Post
    I would venture to bet that fat intake from wild caught/killed game wasn't as high as you would think. The last deer I gutted didn't have a whole lot of fat on it. Possum, though, that's another story. You have to understand that wild game is much leaner than the stuff we get in the stores. So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that fat from nut, seed and vege sources, more than likely, made up the bulk of fat intake in, at the very least, prehistoric man. Of course I have absolutely no proof of this, but I'm sure someone industrious could reference dietary intakes of indigenous African, or early Native American populations to find macro breakdowns - if they exist. I'm sure a great deal of dietary variation would occur by region, as well, given the types of animals and their bio makeup that would exist in said region.

DJ
    I see where your coming from, but there is a problem.

Sure, back in the day animals were a lot leaner but also back in the way we would eat every part of the body including the heart, brain, lungs... We wouldnt let anything go to waste. These internal organs are EXTREMELY high in fat, mostly saturated. While we did eat a lot of poly/mono fats, we ate more saturated.

Custom User Title
    Doesn't this ratio also depend on your Metabolic Type?
    DL 650x1 (raw)
    SQ 479x1 (raw), 700x1(suit+briefs)
    BP 395x1 (raw), 457x1 (single ply)

Current: 6'1, 265; Goal: 6'6, 270

Training log

Metabolic type?

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    I see where your coming from, but there is a problem.

Sure, back in the day animals were a lot leaner but also back in the way we would eat every part of the body including the heart, brain, lungs... We wouldnt let anything go to waste. These internal organs are EXTREMELY high in fat, mostly saturated. While we did eat a lot of poly/mono fats, we ate more saturated.
    Yea, I was kicking that aspect around, as well. Controlling for theoretical variables in anthropology is overwhelming. Males would, of course have higher intakes, given a great deal of organ meat was eaten immediately after the kill (to prevent spoilage of the rest of the meat). Besides, unless we're talking about a large hunting party, there's no guaratee that the group was going to make it back to the camp with the kill - given the number of predators that could ambush the party and run off with the meat. So eating part of the animal meant that, at least, the hunting party had enough energy to go back out and try again if they were ambushed by predators and lost the bulk of the carcass.

DJ