Thread: Shoulder pain

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Shoulder pain

Hi all,

Ive been experiencing shoulder pain in my right shoulder whenever i do chest exercises.

Basically half way through my chest workout I feel a slight pain in the outer part of my right shoulder. And by the end of the workout I either have to stop because the shoulder doesnt seem to be able to keep up or if I press too hard starts to hurt.

Also once the shoulder and chest are warmed up it seems like that pain becomes less obvious, hence me continuing the workout.

The next day whenever i lift my arm to the side parallel to the floor I feel a slight pain.

What can I do to avoid this during workout?

Is my shoulder injured and if so what remedies are there?

Thanks in advance.

If it hurts when you raise your arm this way,it sounds like one of your rotators.
    There are a total of 4 muscles that make up the rotator cuff.
    I dont think you have torn or done any great dammage but prob have a mild injury.
    I would avoid all direct shoulder work and pressing for 7 days and see how it feels. Avoid wide grip pull ups and lat pull downs as the wide grip can stress the rotators.
    I work in theatres at a hospital in the UK, and believe me rotator cuff repairs are not pretty.
    Train,train hard.Eat,eat lots and sleep even more.

Also try some rotator exercises to strengthen this muscle group.http://www.binghamton.edu/athletics/strength/rota.pdf

Take a break off the certain exercises for a week. That should be enough time for the recovery.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the responses guys. Yes the pain seems to have gotten worse over the past few weeks.

I guess its time to let it heal before it gets serious.

Edit: Also how often should I do these rotator cuff exercises?
    Last edited by Binbs; 12-11-2007 at 06:32 AM.

i had some pain in my delts, and my doctor gave me voltaren for some reason. It worked. I don't understand why cuz i thought it was only a painkiller, but it worked after taking them for 1 week and training hard like always. Ask ur doctor about this

Quote Originally Posted by Binbs View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. Yes the pain seems to have gotten worse over the past few weeks.

I guess its time to let it heal before it gets serious.

Edit: Also how often should I do these rotator cuff exercises?
    I would do these exercises once or twice a week using light weight.

Wannabebig New Member
    I had/have roughly this same problem. I ignored it for months until the pain got unbearable. Finally went to the doc, now I am in physical therapy. In therapy I am doing streches and some of the exercises in the above link. If you are going to do them on your own, make sure you use light weight and if it doesn't go away after a couple months, go see a doc.

What bench are you doing? Are you using a very wide grip? If so, narrow it a bit.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    What bench are you doing? Are you using a very wide grip? If so, narrow it a bit.
    I didnt think I was using a particularly wide grip. On the Bench Press I would place my hands so that my middle finger is on the markings on the barbell if you know what I mean.

Try using a more narrow grip next time, the grip your using might be too wide for ya.

You could also try benching with DBs. I have a similar problem, and BB bench doesn't feel good on my shoulder, something about the mobility of DBs that helps a lot.

Also, to boot, you strengthen the stabilizing muscles more with DBs, so your shoulder girdle will get stronger than simply benching with a bar all the time.

You can start out with a week rest, then reintroduce bench with DBs with low weight for a couple weeks, then start increasing the weight again.

Best of luck!

Wannabebig New Member
    it might be some kind of pressure which affects ur shoulder u have talk with some trainer about ur exercise and visit a physical therapist so that he can tell what the problem is.........