The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Wondering why people can lift more in training then in competition

This may be a really stupid question, but I was just wondering why people have big 3 totals for training and big 3 totals for competition. Usually the competition lifts are lower then in training. Why can't they lift as much during competition?

My guess is that in a competition you don't get the same warm-up, and you're more fatigued towards the end. For instance, the deadlift happens last in a competition, so you're all tired from the squat and the bench. When training for the deadlift, you can focus all your energy into just that one lift.

I don't really know much about competitions, but I was always just wondering why this was.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

sometimes its just really nerve wracking and your form has to be strict too in comp unlike training.
    2000 or bust

Banned
    A lot of gym numbers are touch and go, whereas comp numbers would be paused with a judge staring at you.

Really, your form has to be perfect for a lift to count in competition? So if your back happens to round during a squat or something like that it wouldn't count even if you went below parallel?

Wannabebig Member
    I'm the opposite, I usually hit PR's in competition. I try not to get "too" fired up during training, but in a meet, I'm ready to kill people.

Last meet, I did a PR in my squat and deadlift, and the only reason I didn't get one on the bench was I didn't wait for the "rack" command.

If you think about it, the Squat, Bench and DL are almost NEVER performed in the same day during training, certainly never worked up to a 1RM in the same day. The CNS fatigue along with being in your briefs and suit for 8hrs can beat the hell out of you.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    If you think about it, the Squat, Bench and DL are almost NEVER performed in the same day during training, certainly never worked up to a 1RM in the same day. The CNS fatigue along with being in your briefs and suit for 8hrs can beat the hell out of you.
    Ya, that's what I was thinking was the main reason too.

Nerves, depth/pause/lockout, equipment, length of competition, peaking properly, etc. are all reasons why some people have better training numbers.

Also, there can be a world of difference between being ready to lift when you choose to be and being ready to lift when someone else says go. Some people thrive on that, others don't, others it doesn't matter.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

All these reasons make lots of sense. I get it now. I was just wondering though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Really, your form has to be perfect for a lift to count in competition? So if your back happens to round during a squat or something like that it wouldn't count even if you went below parallel?
    not so much of rounding of the back but look at this vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szUtT....com/node/6620
    looks like a good lift, but not according to the judges as he stepped out before the official gave the rack command.

Damn, that looked like a good lift to me. That sux that it didn't count

It's also depends on how conservative you are when picking your attempts at a meet. Some people are confident they've peaked so go for a PR on their second or even first attempt, while others play it very safe and only go for meet PR's as opposed to all-time PR's.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Damn, that looked like a good lift to me. That sux that it didn't count
    He stumbled at the top which invalidates the lift. It depends on the federation, of course, but when it's a high-level meet like that and the lifter is going for records, the judging tends to be stricter - something like that could be passed for a lesser lifter at a local meet.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/