The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Training for 400m-1600m AND training for PLing

Anyone on this board that trains medium (400m) to medium long distance running AND at the same time trains to push the big three as high up as you can? I would love to pick your brain and hear how you schedule this type of training.

I have the crazy idea that I'd like to train for the quarter and eventually for the mile, but also am currently getting obsessed with lifting.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Also, I'd like to keep adding lean body mass, I am currently at 150 and would like to be at 180 in a year or two (however long it takes doing it cleanly).

Are these goals inconsistent or can it be done?

thanks WBB

nobody with any advice? Does anybody know any resources that I can look at that would be geared toward this type of thing?

I am going to start training for the quarter in feb probably.

I went from 150 to 180 in 9 months in my mid 30's so it's definately possible.
    Are you a college or high school athlete?
    World class runners who run those distances are pretty lean. Look at Jeremy Wariner's physique.
    http://images.google.com/images?q=Je...mages&ct=title
    http://www.usolympicteam.com/26_23429.htm
    http://www.jeremywariner.com/

Checkout the STRENGTH & SPEED TEMPLATE in the middle of the page. http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

Have you looked into crossfit?
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Have you looked into crossfit?
    This is my advice, as well. I've been more-or-less doing it for the last few months, and I was in relatively good shape going in. My bench/squat/dead totals have been going up, I've gotten leaner, and my 400m-1600m times dropped a lot. I think I could definitely run a sub-6 mile if I practiced running for a couple weeks. I was probably around 7:15 beforehand.

Wannabebig New Member
    I would say it would certainly help your 400 if you put on some weight a little weight, but it would probably hurt the rest of your events.

If you choose to lift for 800 and miler speed:

DO NOT do stuff like bench and other lifts of the sort on a bench, if you do it, do it either on a swiss ball or a swiss ball atop a balance disc. I only do these during the offseason at high velocity and medium weight until failure, in order to increase my anaerobic capacity.

DO super set training, trying to keep to the general formula of a workout that focuses on eliminating strength first (your first 1/4 of your race) then eliminates your power (middle half) and then saps all of the speed you have left (last 1/4th)

An example would be:

Lunges around a basketball court with Dumbells, when in lunge position, do a bicep curl into a shoulder press (Baylor Bear Lunges)

1 arm Snatch with a dumbell 20 reps OR Soccer jumps for 1 min. OR double box jumps 15 reps

then mountain climbers for one minute (try to get to two though) OR Sprints (baseline to foul line to baseline to half court to baseline to far foul line to baseline to baseline and back)
    I don't care about my weight PR's but here are the PR's I do care about:

800 Meters: 2:00.4
    1500 Meters: 4:16.8
    1600 Meters: 4:23.2 (State Pre-Qual)
    3200 Meters: 10:17.3
    5000 Meters: 16:32 (State Qual)
    10000 Meters: 35:23
    Body Fat Percentage: 5.3%
    VO2 Max: 86 (Frank Shorter's is 83)