The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Brother's got a hernia

Hey WBB,

My brother was recently diagnosed with a hernia (just found out today). My mom told me that my dad's side of the family all had hernias and that it was genetic. I already ran a search. Here are my questions:

1) Are hernias genetic?

2) If I had a hernia, would I know it? Would it be obvious to me?

3) Does weightlifting increase or decrease my chances of a hernia?

4) Once a hernia is repaired surgically, can that area herniate again? Will other hernias pop up over the course of my life if I continue lifting?

5) Are hernias caused by week abdominal muscles?

6) Do hernias only occur on the front of the body? I've had low-grade lower back pain since I hurt my back doing weighted dips almost 2 years ago. Stretching helps the pain, but could that possibly be a hernia?

7) I also just pulled what I think is my right spinal erector doing box squats yesterday. Could that be a hernia?

I'm all scared that this is going to be the end of my weightlifting career.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

1) Are hernias genetic?
    Most things can be considered genetic to some degree or another. The answer lies somewhere in between.

Probably, yes. There might be a lump under your skin and localized throbbing pain.

Increases the risk, like it or not. Things like abdominal restraining belts or suits can reduce risk for heavy lifts.

4) Once a hernia is repaired surgically, can that area herniate again? Will other hernias pop up over the course of my life if I continue lifting?
    Surgically repaired hernias generally involve kevlar and a lot of stitching. They are considered fairly bulletproof -- Only fault surgeries break, realistically.

You are far more like to get a new hernia somewhere else.

This can be a contributing factor.

6) Do hernias only occur on the front of the body? I've had low-grade lower back pain since I hurt my back doing weighted dips almost 2 years ago. Stretching helps the pain, but could that possibly be a hernia?
    A hernia is defined as a rupture in which one part of your body comes into contact with a portion that it is generally isolated from, causing throbbing and burning pain and cross-contaminating biological pathways.

Basically it's a broadly used term, but most often refers to a small tear in the front or side abdominal areas with intestine protruding through the musculature, or pressing into a tear to form an uneven lump.

7) I also just pulled what I think is my right spinal erector doing box squats yesterday. Could that be a hernia?
    Lots of things COULD be hernias. If you have any doubt, see a doctor immediately and he will advise you of the right course of action (Or inaction, as the case may be).
    Last edited by Noxon; 12-22-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    1) I don't think that hernias are genetic. Although they may be. A hernia is caused by a weakness (typically in the abdomen) where the tissue is weak and an organ makes a hole in the weakness and then the organ starts to protrude from said hole. So it is possible that your family has gentically weak abs. One thing you could do is go to those family members and ask how they got the hernia. Whether it was through lifting or it just popped up.

2) Yes you will know if you have one. They hurt like hell.

3) Incorrect weightlifting could cause you to have a hernia. Things like lifting with your back and not with you knees.

4) Yes the area can herniate again. If it is still weak. What the surgery does is it repairs the hole that the organ came through.

5) To start off hernias are a protrusion of a tissue, structure, or part of an organ through the muscular tissue or membrane that contained it. So yes a hernia can be caused by weak abs, but they can also be caused by trying to lift to much weight incorrectly. If you use you knees to lift things then it should you should be fine.

6) Hernias can occur anywhere. Most of the time it is concentrated in the pelvic region because that is where your force is generated to lift something. So that is where the most pressure is going to be.

7) If you know it is pulled then it is not a hernia.

Honestly I think that your overreacting. You should be fine. Just don't try to over do it, and lift with your knees not with your back.

On a more serious note Between 1995 and 2005, 16,742 Americans died from hernias.

take a look at wikipedia. This is where I got my info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernia
    Lifts @ 6'2 235lbs
    Bench: 165/285/330 (11/22/11)
    Squat: 235/405/440 (2/2/12)
    Dead: 270/500/440 (1/26/12)
    Total: 1190 lbs

Where I came from

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done."

Wannabebig Member
    By the way whatever you do don't go to google, type in hernia, and click images with safesearch off. This was a huge mistake. I had a brain lapse and though to myself. Wow this would be funny, and the next thing I knew I was staring at dicks.....
    Lifts @ 6'2 235lbs
    Bench: 165/285/330 (11/22/11)
    Squat: 235/405/440 (2/2/12)
    Dead: 270/500/440 (1/26/12)
    Total: 1190 lbs

Where I came from

"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done."

Sound advice ^^

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    1) Are hernias genetic?
    I have one, Dr. said genetics play a role

I had one for several months and didn't know. I know when I did it, it was during a heavy bench session, but the pain wasn't very bad. I thought it was a deep bruise, the pain went away a day later and I couldn't feel a bulge. Short answer, no, you might not know it.

I would say increase, since it's an underlying condition.

Yes, but doubtful for the reasons Noxon described. No clue about other hernias.

I don't think it's the muscle, but the lining in the stomach. Not really sure, could be very wrong, sorry if I am.
    Answered the ones I asked the Dr. when I went in.

Yes you will know if you have one. They hurt like hell.

Not true. Many people don't know they have them because there is no pain sometimes.

I myself am getting checked out for one, and there is no pain, it just feels "off" and there is the slightest of a raised portion. It's not even a bulge, but I'll see what the doctor says.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

Alright, thanks guys. I guess I'll go to the doctor to get checked out, just as a precaution.