My brother was recently diagnosed with a hernia (just found out today). My mom told me that my dad's side of the family all had hernias and that it was genetic. I already ran a search. Here are my questions:
1) Are hernias genetic?
2) If I had a hernia, would I know it? Would it be obvious to me?
3) Does weightlifting increase or decrease my chances of a hernia?
4) Once a hernia is repaired surgically, can that area herniate again? Will other hernias pop up over the course of my life if I continue lifting?
5) Are hernias caused by week abdominal muscles?
6) Do hernias only occur on the front of the body? I've had low-grade lower back pain since I hurt my back doing weighted dips almost 2 years ago. Stretching helps the pain, but could that possibly be a hernia?
7) I also just pulled what I think is my right spinal erector doing box squats yesterday. Could that be a hernia?
I'm all scared that this is going to be the end of my weightlifting career.