The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Diet of meat, nuts, fruits etc?

I'm trying to eliminate all starches from my diet. I'm actually trying to eliminate most grains from my diet in general. Right now, I eat a lot of fruit and nuts. I eat a lot of chicken breast and lean steaks for bigger meals.

I eat 5 meals a day usually, three of those 5 meals are usually a fruit and protien shake with a decent handful of almonds and pecans on the side. I've calculated each of these meals to be around 500 calories; roughly half from the shake and half from the nuts. My other two meals, I change up so I don't get bored. Some examples are a big bowl of chile with avacado on the side, chicken breast fried in olive oil with cooked broccoli and beets with some cheese on top, bbq'd steak with veggies and a spinach salad.

For supplements, I take whey isolate, greens+ and Udo's 3-6-9 Oil blend.

For liquids, I only really drink water, green tea and wine. I don't drink wine everyday and when I do, I only drink 2 small glasses.

My goals are to slowly gain about 10-15 lbs of lean body mass, to have more overall energy and to just be healthier in general. I'm just wondering if I'm on the right track or if I should change something fundamentally in my diet.

Thanks
    Last edited by Coleman; 12-23-2007 at 10:13 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Total elimination of starches might not be the best idea. Starchy foods will help you with energy levels and glycogen stores. Bulking low carb just seems weird.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

mmm... discipline
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with whole grains and legumes. Brown rice, barely, lentils, black beans, whole wheat... all perfectly healthy foods. If you want to cut out some unhealthy carbs, cut out the high glycemic / high fructose ones. Athletes need carbs.

umm...fruits are pretty much all carbs. and they most are not complex carbs.....
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Quote Originally Posted by Torrok View Post
    umm...fruits are pretty much all carbs. and they most are not complex carbs.....
    Dude, did you even read his post? He said he's looking to cut out starches, not all carbs.

Starches are healthy... they contain many B vitamins, fiber... They make your life easier when bulking...

And bulking on 2500 calories wont get you anywhere... unless your 5 feet tall and/or a woman

Banned
    You're going about this all wrong. Eat food and stop worrying about gaining some fat. 2500 calories ain't gonna get you anywhere except frustrated and small.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    Dude, did you even read his post? He said he's looking to cut out starches, not all carbs.
    well why the ***k would anyone cut out starches?
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Quote Originally Posted by Torrok View Post
    well why the ***k would anyone cut out starches?
    Don't ask me, I told him he shouldn't.

Maybe I wasn't that clear in my goals. My main goal is not to bulk. I would be more than happy if I gained those 10-15 lbs over a course of an entire year.

I'm just looking to start leading a more healthy life. Everything I've been reading lately has said that cutting out starchy foods is a good idea. Type 2 diabetes runs pretty strongly in my family so I figure that trying to keep my insulin levels as balanced as possible would be a good idea.

I find that I just feel better overall when I eat a lot of fruits, nuts, lean meats, beans, eggs etc. I find that meals with a lot of bread, pasta, rice etc tend to make me tired and run down feeling an hour or so after I eat.

If you guys think the calories in my diet is too low, I can easily up them by 600-1000 or whatever is necessary. I just guessed at what my caloric intake was. It's pretty easy to eat more almonds and pecans with each shake, eat some extra avacado with lunch or anything along those lines.

I was really just asking if there was anything fundamentally wrong or unhealthy in the way I eat. I'd really like some suggestions on what everyone thinks might be even healthier.

Coleman, if your gaining weight your bulking.

If your looking to start a healthy life eat carbs, balance is the healthiest thing you can do. Starchy carbs arent going to raise your insulin levels alone. Fast acting sugars will and that sassuming your eating them by itself. And if you eat starches with a full meal including fat and protein you dont have to worry about insulin spikes at all. And type 2 diabetes occurs generally in fat people, unless your fat you dont have to worry about that.

Its unhealthy not to have a balanced diet. Whole grains have fiber and B vitamins. Sure you dont need to consume starches to live but not eating them for the sake of being "healthy" rather than a legitimate health reason is silly. Thats like saying im not going to eat ANY saturated fat because my family has a history of heart problems. Its not practical or healthy...
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 12-24-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    There is nothing wrong with cutting out starches. It is not stupid at all.

Starches can be easily replaced with fruits with a more positive health benefit. Many here don't adhere to Glycemic Index values and what not but fruits have lower glycemic values/loads than starches. They also cause less of an insulin spike and have more fiber per calorie. Not to mention, they are (for the most part) significantly higher in antioxidant content. This all may (or may not, whatever) result in more positive body composition.

All that being said... potatoes or yams won't killa ya.
    Last edited by MMEI; 12-24-2007 at 11:34 PM.

GI index means nothing when you eat meals so it is irrelevant. The GI index is based on insulin spikes when you eat a certain food alone. When you incorporate other food groups like protein and fat you greatly slow digestion time and thus absorption time lowering the insulin spike. No one is asking him to engulf 200 grams of pasta alone. A plate of pasta with hearty meat sauce is a pretty healthy meal and will keep you satisfied due to the protein and fat. Its easy, cheap and effective.

Theres nothing completely bad with cutting out starches but hes doing it for the wrong reasons of trying to be "healthy". I understand you have the feeling of feeling hungry soon after and that would be a valid reason. But perhaps your eating too much starch at once. Lowering starch consumption would be ideal here but cutting them out isnt the answer IMO.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    GI index means nothing when you eat meals so it is irrelevant. The GI index is based on insulin spikes when you eat a certain food alone. When you incorporate other food groups like protein and fat you greatly slow digestion time and thus absorption time lowering the insulin spike. No one is asking him to engulf 200 grams of pasta alone. A plate of pasta with hearty meat sauce is a pretty healthy meal and will keep you satisfied due to the protein and fat. Its easy, cheap and effective.

Theres nothing completely bad with cutting out starches but hes doing it for the wrong reasons of trying to be "healthy". I understand you have the feeling of feeling hungry soon after and that would be a valid reason. But perhaps your eating too much starch at once. Lowering starch consumption would be ideal here but cutting them out isnt the answer IMO.
    Your point with GI is somewhat valid. Lets take a look at these two cases, however.

1.We have a meal of Pasta+Beef (P+C)
    2. We have a meal of Apple+Beef (P+C)

Both Pasta and Apple have same amount of carbs.
    Would it be safer to assume that the digestion of meal two is much slower than the digestion of meal one? Not to mention, fruits are mostly comprised of fructose... which causes a significantly smaller rise in insulin than that found in pasta.
    Last edited by MMEI; 12-25-2007 at 12:25 AM.

I've tried this. After a few weeks the lack of starch drove me to the brink of insanity. And i am generally very good at sticking to a diet. The pro's were greatly outweighed by the con's for me.

Avoiding starches is a great ideas. Don't listen to others: first, meat is a much better source of vitamins and minerals (including the b vitamins) than grains; second, not only are fibers overrated, but you're going to get plenty through nuts, veggies and fruits.

When avoiding starches, don't fear the fat, otherwise it'll drive you to the brink of insanity...

Now I do believe that eating starches can help you gain weight, as they're a very easy way to pack a lot of calories. Without carbs, it's pretty much impossible to gain fat, and you can't gain bodybuilder-big muscles, even on a 5000 calories diet. Carbs send that bulking message to the body; it's not surprising that livestock is bulked on starches and animals like bears increase the carbs in their diet before wintertime.

Again, you have to avoid eating too much protein when going lower in fat and you also have to eat more fat, otherwise your body keeps using high levels of glucose and it needs to spend unusual efforts into gluconeogenesis (making glucose out of amino acids).

MMEI who eats apples and beef as a meal? But I do understand what your trying to get at. And pasta still would take longer to digest because its a starch, long chains of carbs. This is especially true if its whole wheat which is what I use. Fructose is easily absorbed and doesnt require much digestion. Your comparing a starch to a sugar. And if your eating beef there is fat in there too. Fat is a lot more important when your talking about digestion time in comparison to protein.

Max fiber is overrated? Fiber is extremely important I dont know how you could say otherwise.

I dont know how not eating starches makes you healthier. Dont give me the GI bull**** or insulin spikes because that problem is easily solved. If your doing it for other reasons go ahead but dont throw the word healthy in there because theres absolutely nothing "healthy" about not eating complex carbs. Is there anything unhealthy? Nothing that strikes me too hard but it would be more unhealthy than healthy if one were to choose a side.

Weve been eating plenty of starches for thousands of years. The people who live longer around the world have a diet high in starches, fruits, veggies, nuts, fish, and little meat. Starches make up a huge part of their diet yet they live the longest. A good example are the ashkenaz Jews or people from costa rica, Japan... Ashkenaz Jews ate mostly potatoes, people from costa rica ate a lot of corn, people in Japan eat loads of rice. All these populations have more 100 year olds per person than most places around the world. Now some douchebag comes around and says how carbs are bad and we should try to cut them out. Why the heck does no one believe in balance anymore?
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 12-25-2007 at 11:27 AM.

Here's a compromise - why not just cut out processed starches? Spartan is 100% right on this one. Eat some legumes, nuts, whole grains, quinoa (google it, the stuff is awesome), etc. etc.

My guess is that you're lookign for a more holistic "healthy lifestyle" approach rather than just a "how can I put on 20 lbs and then lose 10 of it in the most efficient way possible". If I'm right, healthy starches are a good part of that approach - just don't eat 10 bowls of plain white rice every day and you're set.

Seriously, though, eat some quinoa... you'll never go back. The stuff is incredible as a bed for salmon, backbone for a mixed salad, stuffing for peppers, etc. The list goes on and on... and it's jam packed with protein! Well, it's got about as much as milk, which is really high for a grain...
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

I ate a similar diet to what you're proposing for quite a long time, but included quite a lot of beans and pulses in there to get some additional complex carbs - pretty much exactly what McIrish is suggesting. Puy lentils, chickpeas, quinoa, bulgar wheat etc. are fantastic foods; they taste great, they're good sources of protein, vitamins, minerals, fibre etc. and they give you far more variety and flexibility than if you try to cut them out altogether. I wouldn't say that it's unhealthy not to eat them, but if anything I'd say it's healthier to include them than omit them.

I'm a type 1 diabetic, and found this diet gave me the best control over my blood sugars that I've ever had; for non-diabetics, this would translate to very steady insulin levels (i.e. avoiding insulin spikes). I also felt the healthiest I ever have, and got as lean as I've ever been.

In fact, I don't know why the hell I ever stopped... time to get back on the wagon I think!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Here's a compromise - why not just cut out processed starches? Spartan is 100% right on this one. Eat some legumes, nuts, whole grains, quinoa (google it, the stuff is awesome), etc. etc.
    beat me to it. it seemed like this thread was getting very complicated, when the answer should be relatively simple.
    bread is not 'whole grain'. steel cut oats are whole grain.

I totally understand your desire to avoid diabetis. A lot of the nutrition info, articles, studies I've read seem to point to processed grains, and especially processed sugars, leading to more Type 2 diabetes. Especially overweight kids drinking tons of soda pop.

I think if you go with moderation on the starchy carbs, and stick to the most 'wholesome' choices, your fears should be calmed.
    Big bowls of oatmeal never make me feel sluggish or tired (blood sugar drop), but on occasions when I load up on bread/rolls or pasta, I feel it bad.

Quote Originally Posted by malkore View Post
    beat me to it. it seemed like this thread was getting very complicated, when the answer should be relatively simple.
    bread is not 'whole grain'. steel cut oats are whole grain.

I totally understand your desire to avoid diabetis. A lot of the nutrition info, articles, studies I've read seem to point to processed grains, and especially processed sugars, leading to more Type 2 diabetes. Especially overweight kids drinking tons of soda pop.

I think if you go with moderation on the starchy carbs, and stick to the most 'wholesome' choices, your fears should be calmed.
    Big bowls of oatmeal never make me feel sluggish or tired (blood sugar drop), but on occasions when I load up on bread/rolls or pasta, I feel it bad.
    Are you using whole wheat pasta? Are you eating any fat or protein with the pasta?