The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Routine question

Hello, my name is Brad and this is my first post on the forum. Before I get to my question though, please let me provide some background info.

I'm 27 yrs. old (will be 28 in Mar.) and work an 8-5p job M-F. I've been working out since the age of 16. I'm 6'1 and currently weigh approximately 165lbs. My current routine consists of working out Mon., Tues., & Fri. doing the following muscle groups each session:

- abs
    - chest
    - biceps
    - triceps
    - wrists/forearms

Now one of my goals for 2008 is to really start giving some attention to my lower body. I'm not particularly concerned at this point in my life with bulking up a lot. I don't mind my current weight, but I want to keep balanced between being strong & cut.

With all of the above stated, is there a particular routine I should be looking at?

I read the WBB routines, but I'm a bit surprised they recommend only working out particular muscle groups 1x a week and then only working out 3 days a week.

Am I currently overdoing things by working out the same muscle groups 3x a week? I was considering going to a 5x day routine, M-F, and doing all of the muscle groups I mentioned earlier on M, W & F and then throw in my lower body groups in on T & Th. Is this not a good idea given my goals?

I'd like help in formulating a routine that I can get done in an hour or less since time is an increasingly scarce commodity for me due to work and other hobbies. Any advice/tips would be much appreciated. Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You could look at Baby Got Back if you like. Muscles get hit a few times a week in a few different rep ranges, and you'll get away from a "bodypart" split and focus on movement patterns.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    You could look at Baby Got Back if you like. Muscles get hit a few times a week in a few different rep ranges, and you'll get away from a "bodypart" split and focus on movement patterns.
    Thanks for the reply. I just looked at BGB and that does sound like a routine that would be good for me. I'll give it a try starting the first week of January.

Now I do have another question... is there an article regarding sets & reps?

Over the past month I've been doing challenging weight, but 3x10 irregardless of muscle group. Prior to that I would do 1x10, 1x8 & 1x6 sets while increasing the weight each set. Some of the articles I've seen seem to suggest doing the opposite... starting with high weight, low reps and by the last set use lower weight, higher reps. To be honest, I'm not even sure what the ideal number of sets for me would be.

I'm a bit embarrassed to be showing my ignorance in so many areas considering how long I've been working out, but I've never really thought about it. Now that I'm getting older, and I know that my metabolism is changing, I'm trying to workout "smarter" rather than just going through a regimen and expecting that I'll always remain in shape in the years to come.

Wannabebig Member
    i, too, would like to know how different set/rep routines would affect BGB. specifically, should we be ramping up the weight every set?
    Started: 12/13/2007 19 y.o.
    Current: 215lb, 45lb dumbbell press, other stats pending;
    Goal: 4/1/2008, 165lb, 90lb dumbbell press;

With BGB I remember doing on chest day, a 5x5 chest exercise followed by 3x8. This would be the same for every body part... You might like using heavier weights with lower reps, especially after doing such high reps for so long.

Dry im glad your chaning up your routine because a workout dedicated to forearms rather than back scares the heck out of me. Dont take this the wrong way but im kind of curious as to what you look like working out like that for so long... dont you look disproportionate? I could imagine a person with large arms and chest but 0 back and twigs for legs but I doubt it would look like that.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 12-23-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Dry im glad your chaning up your routine because a workout dedicated to forearms rather than back scares the heck out of me. Dont take this the wrong way but im kind of curious as to what you look like working out like that for so long... dont you look disproportionate? I could imagine a person with large arms and chest but 0 back and twigs for legs but I doubt it would look like that.
    Yeah, I do look disproportionate actually which is precisely why I'm looking to start doing things differently this coming year. I pretty much look like what you described - twigs for legs, bigger chest & upper arms. As I eluded to in a previous post I have been working out without really thinking about the details. I just figured, hey, I'm working out, feel good and am in good health so why think about the details. I need to start thinking about these things though as I know my metabolism has been slowing down the past couple of years and I want to be more well rounded from a fitness standpoint.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted so far. You've all given me some good information to ponder as I look to change up my routine. I look forward to giving the BGB routine a try and I'll probably start doing higher weight, lower reps for awhile just for a change of pace.
    Last edited by Dryvlyne; 12-23-2007 at 08:10 PM.

There's a sample workout at the end of the article - you'll note that it always starts with a heavy compound (multi joint movement, like squats, deads, bench...) followed by concentration/accessory work in higher rep ranges.

Since you've not worked legs in any appreciable way up until this point, you might do the 5x5, the 3x8 and the 3x12 for all leg work, and just 3x5 sets of 5 and the 3x8 for upper body work, so legs get a little more volume.

Good luck, and eat up!