The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

casein protein causes cancer?!?

Soo, I've been reading a little bit about Casein Protein. I wanted to do some research on it before I implemented into my diet...

I stumbled across this article, and I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before, or is at all worried. I've read a lot of pros/cons pages, and this is the only one that listed cancer as a con...

SOO...to those of you that take Casein, are you aware of this, or do you give it any merit?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    sorry...had to reach 10 posts to post this link

http://www.ezhealthydiet.com/casein-protein.html

Wannabebig Member
    I can't get the page to open.

Can you cut and paste?
    Tony Savage
    COO
    Avant Research/Avant Labs

--Hopefully this turns out ok.--

Casein Protein - The Dangers

Over that last decade or so we have heard much in the media about casein protein and autistic children. Health food stores even carry products now that state whether they are “casein free”.
    Many autistic children are put on casein and gluten free diets as a form of treatment, but what about the general population? Should we be concerned about casein?

What Is Casein Protein And Why The Fuss?

First of all casein is a protein found in milk and other dairy products. In his book, The China Study, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, reports how he discovered, over many years of cancer research, a possible link between animal protein intake and cancer development. Although Campbell was raised on a farm and loved his milk and eggs and sausage, his scientific curiosity was peaked through the research he conducted as well as reviewed. Because of these potential links he found, he was finally able to receive funding to study the possible effects of protein on cancer.

Plan Your Meals
    What he discovered was that protein did indeed promote cancer development. However it was not all types of protein. What Campbell discovered was that casein, which comprises 85% of the protein in cow’s milk, promoted cancer in all stages of its development. The safe protein, that which did not promote cancer, was plant based.
    The Cancer Casein Connection

In fact, the connection between casein and cancer was so profound that the scientists could literally turn cancer growth on and off in the laboratory animals, like a light switch, simply by altering the level of casein protein in their diets. Interestingly, they also found that feeding the animals the same levels of plant based protein (gluten and soy) did not at all promote cancer growth.

Next, Campbell was able to take his research into the real world. In the early 1980’s a joint effort was established between Cornell University, Oxford University and China’s health research laboratory. The researchers gathered data on 367 variables, across 65 counties in China and 6,500 adults. The research was conducted over a 10 year period and was funded by both the Chinese and the United States government.

The Cancer and Animal Protein Connection

The results of the China Study showed that nutrition has a very powerful influence on a multitude of diseases. Animal based foods were linked to higher breast cancer rates and higher blood cholesterol levels. Whereas plant based diets were connected to low incidents of breast cancer rates and cholesterol levels. Fiber and antioxidants from plant foods were also linked to lower levels of digestive tract cancers. Between Campbell’s research and many other studies, it appears that good science – well thought out and planned studies – are painting a consistent picture between diet and health. Because of this research we are now able to largely reduce our risk of developing deadly diseases just by eating the right food.

The Good News

Casein protein was found to promote cancer in the controlled animal studies which Campbell administered. However, further research results, particularly those of the China Study, have shown there to be a remarkable link between animal protein in general and many different diseases not just cancer alone.

The good news about this research is that good health and good food are hugely connected and largely very simple. Eating a whole foods, plant based diet is the best thing you can do for your health and your future.

--------

Get big.
    This is typical vegan propaganda. Just search google for articles on Dr T. Colin Campbell and you'll see a lot of criticism about his studies and conclusions

Quote Originally Posted by piff View Post
    This is typical vegan propaganda. Just search google for articles on Dr T. Colin Campbell and you'll see a lot of criticism about his studies and conclusions
    thank you. ive been drinking almost a gallon of milk a day for years, even when i wasn't into lifting i drank a lot. sign me up for the cancer.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I did a pubmed search looking for articles that casein causes cancer, and guess what all the articles that came up had no mention of casein as a carcinogen.

Casein (or any ingested protein) is NOT a carcinogen, whey appears to have anti-cancer functions. So milk does a body good, literally.

If you do a search you are more likely to find abstracts for papers that read like this:

1: Curr Pharm Des. 2007;13(8):813-28.Click here to read Links
    A role for milk proteins and their peptides in cancer prevention.
    Parodi PW.

Dairy Australia, Human Nutrition and Health Research, Melbourne, Australia. peterparodi@uq.net.au

A role for the amount and type of dietary protein in the etiology of cancer has not been studied extensively. Nevertheless, there is no compelling evidence from epidemiological studies to indicate that protein, at levels usually consumed, is a risk factor for cancer. On the other hand, animal studies suggest that certain peptides and amino acids derived from dietary proteins may influence carcinogenesis. The predominant protein in milk, casein, its peptides, but not liberated amino acids, have antimutagenic properties. Animal models, usually for colon and mammary tumorigenesis, nearly always show that whey protein is superior to other dietary proteins for suppression of tumour development. This benefit is attributed to its high content of cystine/cysteine and gamma-glutamylcyst(e)ine dipeptides, which are efficient substrates for the synthesis of glutathione. Glutathione is an ubiquitous cellular antioxidant that directly or through its associated enzymes destroys reactive oxygen species, detoxifies carcinogens, maintains proteins in a reduced state and ensures a competent immune system. Various experiments showed that tumour prevention by dietary whey protein was accompanied by increased glutathione levels in serum and tissues as well as enhanced splenic lymphocyte proliferation, phagocytosis and natural killer, T helper and cytotoxic T cell activity. Whey protein components, beta-lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin and serum albumin were studied infrequently, but results suggest they have anticancer potential. The minor component lactoferrin has received the most attention; it inhibits intestinal tumours and perhaps tumours at other sites. Lactoferrin acts by induction of apoptosis, inhibition of angiogenesis, modulation of carcinogen metabolising enzymes and perhaps acting as an iron scavenger. Supplementing cows with selenium increases the content of selenoproteins in milk, which on isolation inhibited colon tumorigenesis in rats.

PMID: 17430183 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1: Nutr Cancer. 2006;55(2):171-7.Click here to read Links
    Tumor-protective and tumor-promoting actions of dietary whey proteins in an N-methyl-N-nitrosourea model of rat mammary carcinogenesis.
    Eason RR, Till SR, Frank JA, Badger TM, Korourian S, Simmen FA, Simmen RC.

Arkansas Children's Nutrition Center, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, AR 72202, USA.

The mammary tumor-protective effects of dietary factors are considered to be mediated by multiple signaling pathways, consistent with the heterogeneous nature of the disease and the distinct genetic profiles of tumors arising from diverse mammary cell populations. In a 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene-induced model of carcinogenesis, we showed previously that female Sprague-Dawley rats exposed to AIN-93G diet containing whey protein hydrolysate (WPH) beginning at gestation Day 4 had reduced tumor incidence than those exposed to diet containing casein (CAS), due partly to increased mammary differentiation and reduced activity of phase I metabolic enzymes. Here, we evaluated the tumor-protective effects of these same dietary proteins to the direct-acting carcinogen N-methyl-N-nitrosourea (NMU). We found that lifetime exposure to WPH, relative to CAS, decreased mammary tumor incidence and prolonged the appearance of tumors in NMU-treated female rats, with no corresponding effects on tumor multiplicity. At 115 days post-NMU, histologically normal mammary glands from WPH-fed tumor-bearing rats had increased gene expression for the tumor suppressor BRCA1 and the differentiation marker kappa-casein than those of CAS-fed tumor-bearing rats. Tumor-bearing rats from the WPH group had more advanced tumors, with a greater incidence of invasive ductal carcinoma than ductal carcinoma in situ and higher serum C-peptide levels than corresponding rats fed CAS. WPH-fed tumor-bearing rats were also heavier after NMU administration than CAS tumor-bearing rats, although no correlation was noted between body weight and C-peptide levels for either diet group. Results demonstrate the context-dependent tumor-protective and tumor-promoting effects of WPH; provide support for distinct signaling pathways underlying dietary effects on development of mammary carcinoma; and raise provocative questions on the role of diet in altering the prognosis of existing breast tumors.

PMID: 17044772 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1: J Nutr Biochem. 2006 Sep;17(9):626-34. Epub 2005 Dec 19.Click here to read Links
    Dietary whey protein lowers serum C-peptide concentration and duodenal SREBP-1c mRNA abundance, and reduces occurrence of duodenal tumors and colon aberrant crypt foci in azoxymethane-treated male rats.
    Xiao R, Carter JA, Linz AL, Ferguson M, Badger TM, Simmen FA.

Arkansas Children's Nutrition Center, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72202, USA.

We evaluated partially hydrolyzed whey protein (WPH) for inhibitory effects on the development of colon aberrant crypt foci (ACF) and intestinal tumors in azoxymethane (AOM)-treated rats. Pregnant Sprague-Dawley rats and their progeny were fed AIN-93G diets containing casein (CAS, control diet) or WPH as the sole protein source. Colons and small intestines from the male progeny were obtained at 6, 12, 20 and 23 weeks after AOM treatment. At 6 and 23 weeks, post-AOM, WPH-fed rats had fewer ACF than did CAS-fed rats. Intestinal tumors were most frequent at 23 weeks, post-AOM. At this time point, differences in colon tumor incidence with diet were not observed; however, WPH-fed rats had fewer tumors in the small intestine (7.6% vs. 26% incidence, P=.004). Partially hydrolized whey protein suppressed circulating C-peptide concentration (a stable indicator of steady-state insulin secretion) at all four time points relative to the corresponding CAS-fed animals. The relative mRNA abundance for the insulin-responsive, transcription factor gene, SREBP-1c, was reduced by WPH in the duodenum but not colon. Results indicate potential physiological linkages of dietary protein type with circulating C-peptide (and by inference insulin), local expression of SREBP-1c gene and propensity for small intestine tumorigenesis.

PMID: 16504496 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Last edited by DoUgL@S; 01-04-2008 at 07:38 AM.
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    I've heard soy protein encourages cancerous growth too, but I'd think you'd need to inject it straight into your veins by the gallon in order for it to be any danger.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post
    I've heard soy protein encourages cancerous growth too, but I'd think you'd need to inject it straight into your veins by the gallon in order for it to be any danger.
    Agreed...and the way they're putting it, theyre making it sound like if you stay away from casein entirely, you wont get cancer. Probably false I'm guessing..?

smoking causes cancer, but do people stop smoking?
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Get big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrok View Post
    smoking causes cancer, but do people stop smoking?
    Comparing the carcinogenic effects of smoking to drinking milk is a bit of a stretch, though

Quote Originally Posted by ipwizard View Post
    Although Campbell was raised on a farm and loved his milk and eggs and sausage, his scientific curiosity was peaked through the research he conducted as well as reviewed.
    He lost all credibility with me after that.

I once heard that taking creatine causes kidney disease...

Wannabebig New Member
    Actually, T. Colin Campbell exaggerating results of his experiments is widely understood, but the exaggeration isn't that casein is cancer-causing. See, he did his experiments with casein protein on rats, then when a huge majority of the casein-fed rats developed cancerous growths, he used that result to say that all protein is bad for you. I've read The China Study, and it's criminal how under-stated the fact is that he used casein in the studies; there's just the slightest blurb at the end. Dr. Campbell is a vegan as is the rest of his family, and for his own concerns for the environment and our health, he sees it necessary to take a Machiavellian role and lie out his ass.
    His results still apply to casein protein, however, which has long been known to have carcinogenic properties, even in slight amounts. This isn't restricted to Campbell's studies, it's been known for a long time.

There is a difference between carcinogen and indirectly cancer promoting, and there is a difference between cancerous and non-cancerous states. It's this idea that casein skyrockets IGF-1 that fuels a lot of anti-milk people, but they don't distinguish people with cancer vs. those without.

rar!
    I wish something more conclusive would come out on this subject.

The only thing I've really heard is that a certain mold grows on peanuts and can become carcinogenic in the presence of casein. No natural PB in shakes anymore...

Regardless, I would imagine it would only be very mildly carcinogenic. Otherwise, like smoking, the everyday population would even notice how them milk drinkers are always in the hospital.

Using rats doesn't carry over to humans that well in terms of carcinogens. Many rats are especially prone to tumor formation. If he only used casein, then it does not discern from other types of protein. I don't see that amounts he used either. If you feed an tumor-prone herbivorous animal giant quantities of protein, the animal is probably lucky if it lives long enough to form a tumor. Just like saccharin, feeding a 5lb bag to a 1lb rat per day doesn't really link much. If I ate 500 oranges a week, it would probably be extremely pro-oxidative. I'm seeing vegan propaganda crap.

I'd be a lot more worried of partially hydrogenated oils and being outside for long periods of direct sunlight. Most people I know still eat french fries and tan. Maybe casein will be my downfall, but I'll outlive all of 'em first.

Banned
    I heard cancer causes cancer....
    Last edited by Reko; 08-02-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    I heard cancer causes cancer....
    I thought it was the other way around?
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

Banned
    ****, I get that mixed up all the time.