The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

New Split - Push, Pull, Legs - Critique?

Starting on the first monday in Feb I will be beginning my cutting routine for the summer time and stuff. I just finished the workout portion of it and I am going to finish the diet next. So I was wondering if all of those whom have a decent understanding of lifting could critique this routine and let me know what you think? One big question I have is for back do you think thats too much? I mean that is two muscle groups you know? Also what about reps? Maybe just do that or do like 3x5, 3x8, 3x12, 3x15? Thanks

Workout
    Day 1

Chest ? Flat 3x8, Incline 3x8, Flies 3x8, Dips 3x8
    Tris ? Dips 3x8, Skull Crushers 3x8, Cable Pressdowns 3x8, Arnold Press 3x8
    Shoulders ? Arnold Press 3x8, Front Raises 3x8, Bench Rear Raises 3x8, Barbell Shurgs 3x8

Day 2 ?

StairMaster Routine for 30 minutes (should I do it for 40 maybe? or is it to long?)
    Abs on this day too

Day 3 -

Lats ? Pull-Ups 3x8, Hammer Pulldowns 3x8, Straight Arm Pulldowns 3x8, FROM Cable Crossovers 3x8
    Bis ? Barbell 3x8, Hammer Curls 3x8, Cable Curls 3x8, Reverse Curls 3x8
    Forearms ? Reverse Curls 3x8, Seated Curl Raises 3x8, Rope Curl 3x8

Day 4 ?

Hill Repeats on treadmill for 30 minutes (40?)
    Abs

Day 5 -

Quads ? Squats 3x8, Leg Press 3x8, Leg Extensions 3x8
    Hams ? Deadlifts 3x8(Straight?), Good Mornings 3x8, Leg Curls 3x8
    Calves ? Leg Press Calf Press 3x8, Seated Calf Raises 3x8
    Glutes ? Barbell Lunges 3x8, Barbell Box Raises

Day 6 -

Sprints on track for 30 minutes (40?)
    Abs

Day 7 -

Rest, playin some pb, if that counts as exercise
    Last edited by abefroman35; 01-05-2008 at 10:04 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Too much chest, too much tris, too much shoulders, too much biceps, too much forearms, too much legs. Then you're sprinting the day after all that volume on legs? Oh dear...
    Last edited by LouPac; 01-06-2008 at 03:36 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by abefroman35 View Post
    Starting on the first monday in Feb I will be beginning my cutting routine for the summer time and stuff. I just finished the workout portion of it and I am going to finish the diet next. So I was wondering if all of those whom have a decent understanding of lifting could critique this routine and let me know what you think? One big question I have is for back do you think thats too much? I mean that is two muscle groups you know? Also what about reps? Maybe just do that or do like 3x5, 3x8, 3x12, 3x15? Thanks

Workout
    Day 1

Chest ? Flat 3x8, Incline 3x8, Flies 3x8, Dips 3x8
    Tris ? Dips 3x8, Skull Crushers 3x8, Cable Pressdowns 3x8, Arnold Press 3x8
    Shoulders ? Arnold Press 3x8, Front Raises 3x8, Bench Rear Raises 3x8, Barbell Shurgs 3x8

Day 2 ?

StairMaster Routine for 30 minutes (should I do it for 40 maybe? or is it to long?)
    Abs on this day too

Day 3 -

Lats ? Pull-Ups 3x8, Hammer Pulldowns 3x8, Straight Arm Pulldowns 3x8, FROM Cable Crossovers 3x8
    Bis ? Barbell 3x8, Hammer Curls 3x8, Cable Curls 3x8, Reverse Curls 3x8
    Forearms ? Reverse Curls 3x8, Seated Curl Raises 3x8, Rope Curl 3x8

Day 4 ?

Hill Repeats on treadmill for 30 minutes (40?)
    Abs

Day 5 -

Quads ? Squats 3x8, Leg Press 3x8, Leg Extensions 3x8
    Hams ? Deadlifts 3x8(Straight?), Good Mornings 3x8, Leg Curls 3x8
    Calves ? Leg Press Calf Press 3x8, Seated Calf Raises 3x8
    Glutes ? Barbell Lunges 3x8, Barbell Box Raises

Day 6 -

Sprints on track for 30 minutes (40?)
    Abs

Day 7 -

Rest, playin some pb, if that counts as exercise

First of all "cutting" is diet not exercise. You do NOT need to lift much differently between "cutting" and "bulking" with the possible exceptions of using a little less weight and maybe dropping a couple of exercises (due to the energy deficit)

Second. Back involves much more than just two muscle groups.

Third. Your routine only works major bodyparts once per week and has way too much arm work along with all the chest and back lifts.

Fourth. Too many isolation exercises which don't do too much for building mass or strength especially in a caloric deficit.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPac View Post
    Too much chest, too much tris, too much shoulders, too much biceps, too much forearms, too much legs. Then you're sprinting the day after all that volume on legs? Oh dear...
    how is that to much? that is only about 12 sets per muscle group? i am goin to take off some of the arm exercises though, like one of them, since they are worked with the other exer

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    First of all "cutting" is diet not exercise. You do NOT need to lift much differently between "cutting" and "bulking" with the possible exceptions of using a little less weight and maybe dropping a couple of exercises (due to the energy deficit)

Second. Back involves much more than just two muscle groups.

Third. Your routine only works major bodyparts once per week and has way too much arm work along with all the chest and back lifts.

Fourth. Too many isolation exercises which don't do too much for building mass or strength especially in a caloric deficit.
    Well first of all, if you would have read the beginning paragraph it tells you that i just finished the workout routine, and im working on the diet. And I was doing the BGB, then I was on GVT, and now im on 5x5. So really I think the only one I would consider doing for "cutting" would be BGB. I mean i realize that the compounds work your arms and stuff too, but im tryin to get everything right.

Second, I know this, there are the Lats, Rhomboids, Lower back, the rear Delts, Traps, rear obliques, and a lot more of other weird names. But the majority of the back is Lats and Mid, which I am workin on the 3rd day. And I am workin lowerback with my legs, when i do deads, goodmornings, and the barbell box raises

Third, Yes i realize that it only works it once a week, do you think it is truely neccessary to work it twice? and I am goin to take off some of the extra arm exerc.

Fourth, well I always thought that, bb bench, deads, bb rows, squats, arn press, and there might be more, were all compound exercises. I am adding in some extra accessory work that is iso.
    and dont think im being a smart as$, im just sayin and askin. so critique this stuff again please
    Last edited by abefroman35; 01-06-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Stick with the 5x5 or something based on compounds. Stick with it for at least 6 months to a year, and then look at switching.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Journal

Before you go to train everyday, think about the less fortunate and what they would give to just have the opportunity to be training like a madman.

"The squat rack is my church, the dead lift platform my temple."

Team Stocky - "It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle."
    The Rawmighty Team Stocky.

Quote Originally Posted by abefroman35 View Post
    how is that to much? that is only about 12 sets per muscle group? i am goin to take off some of the arm exercises though, like one of them, since they are worked with the other exer

12 sets is overkill, especially if you're going to be cutting, where your intake of calories will be lower. You'll be fine with 8 sets per bodypart. Also, consider how you're grouping your exercises. When you work chest, you're hitting your triceps pretty well, and bench hammers your shoulders. Look at your legs too, just because you do an exercise that works quads it doesn't mean your hammies or calves aren't being hit. It's serious overkill and would be detrimental to your training goals.

Wannabebig Member
    12 sets is overkill, especially if you're going to be cutting, where your intake of calories will be lower. You'll be fine with 8 sets per bodypart. Also, consider how you're grouping your exercises. When you work chest, you're hitting your triceps pretty well, and bench hammers your shoulders. Look at your legs too, just because you do an exercise that works quads it doesn't mean your hammies or calves aren't being hit. It's serious overkill and would be detrimental to your training goals.

alright thanks man

Wannabebig Member
    Not trying to thread hijack here, but just fyi, would it be better for him to do his cardio after one day's rest after legs, and the day right before he does chest/triceps/shoulder again?
    Last edited by Turino; 01-09-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turino View Post
    Not trying to thread hijack here, but just fyi, would it be better for him to do his cardio after one day's rest after legs, and the day right before he does chest/tri/shoulder again?
    dude i really like that idea, thanks man, and im goin to put up my newly edited routine in a little bit to see if you guys think its better
    Last edited by abefroman35; 01-07-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Here is the edited version of my routine - Tell me what you think - REMEMBER to look at the reps for each exercise and that some exercise are the same thing as another (i.e. Dips on Chest and Tris)

Workout
    Day 1

Chest - Flat 3x5, Incline 2x8, Flies 3x10, Dips 2x15
    Tris - Dips 2x15, Skull Crushers 3x8, Cable Pressdowns 2x10, Arnold Press 3x5
    Shoulders - Arnold Press 3x5, Front Raises 2x8, Bench Rear Raises 2x15Barbell Shurgs 3x8

Day 2

Cardio - Stairmaster routine for 30 or 40 minutes
    Abs - Cable Crunches 3x15, Seated Leg Raises 3x15, Cable Obliques 3x15

Day 3

Lats - Pull-Ups 3x5, Hammer Pulldowns 2x8, Straight Arm Pulldowns 2x10, FROM Cable Crossovers 2x15
    Mid - FROM Cable Crossovers 2x15, Bent Over Rows 3x5, T-Bar Rows 2x8, Seated Rows 2x15
    Bis - Barbell Curls 3x5, Hammer Curls 2x8, Cable Curls 2x10, Reverse Curls 3x5
    Forearms - Reverse Curls 3x5, Seated Curl Raises 2x8, Rope Curl 3x10

Day 4

Cardio - Hill repeats on treadmill for 30 or 40 minutes
    Abs - Swiss Ball Crunches 3x15, Hanging Leg Raises 3x15, Machine Obliques 3x15

Day 5

Quads - Squats 3x5, Leg Press 2x8, Leg Extensions 3x15
    Hams - Straight Leg Deadlifts 3x5, Leg Curls 3x10
    Calves - Leg Press Calf Press 3x10, Seated Calf Raises 3x10
    Glutes - Barbell Lunges 2x8, Barbell Box Raises 2x10

Day 6

Cardio - Sprints on track 30 or 40 mintues
    Abs - Medicine Ball 100 Crunches

Day 7 -

Rest - playin some pb or workin, if that counts as exercise
    Last edited by abefroman35; 01-07-2008 at 08:28 PM.