Thread: Dual booting XP with Vista, Vista Installed first

Hybrid View

Dual booting XP with Vista, Vista Installed first

I want to dual boot windows vista and windows xp. I installed windows vista first a few days ago and got everything set up. All the product updates, a few programs installed and all the drivers I needed.

I found this guide a while back to dual boot windows vista with windows xp on apc.com. Basically this is what it says to do: (it assumes vista is already installed on a partition that takes up 100% of the hard drive)

Shrink the Vista partition down to make room for XP
    Install windows xp like normal
    Boot off of windows vista install DVD to fix vista MBR
    Install and run EasyBCD once back in vista to add XP to the vista boot manager

This is what I tried doing:

I partitioned off my 320 GB HDD into two 150 GB partitions (base 10 vs base 2 thing...)
    Installed Vista on the first 150GB partition which was C:
    Then I tried install windows XP
    Put the XP install disk in my computer (one that I know works, I've used it a lot before)
    Setup copied install files on D: and then rebooted
    Upon restarting the computer gives me a disk read error press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart which the guide said might happen and then to just use the Vista DVD to fix the MBR (Repair installation) and then use EasyBCD to add the XP entry into the Vista boot loader. So thats exactly what I did.

However when I reboot the machine I get no vista boot loader of any kind, it simply just restarts in windows vista and thats that. Every time I try and reinstall XP it does the same thing over and over I tried 3 times with no luck.

When I go back into vista and check EasyBCD this is what it gives me under "view settings"

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
    Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
    Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
    BCD ID: {current}
    Drive: C:\
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: Windows XP PRO
    BCD ID: {83fc0dae-bbef-11dc-82e5-000129d4b97a}
    Drive: C:\
    Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

This is what it gives me by default. I didn't change anything in the settings of EasyBCD except add the XP entry to the Vista boot loader (which is D: but it shows as C: in the view settings thing?)

So basically I'm not getting any vista boot loader to come up at all, even after doing essentially exactly what I should do to make this work. Every time I try and put XP on it corrupts the boot sector and gives me a disk read error and repairing the vista boot loader and adding XP to it doesn't give me any kind of access to any boot loader at all.

This is really starting to drive me nuts... its not working as it should and I can't figure it out.

I don't know anything about dual booting windows systems but you may want to look into Grub. I've used that to dual boot various linux flavors with Windows XP.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

While you're waiting for someone who has dual booted with these two OSes before (I've done it with XP and various linux installations)......I'd say the first step is to make an XP boot disk and see if you can it to boot into XP that way.

Then you could ensure that at least XP has installed correctly and you know the problem is with the bootloader.

Sorry didn't read your entire post, but if dual booting doesn't work out you could use virtual PC (free from Microsoft), to use both OS's at the same time.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin