The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Wrestling - Advice?

Hmm, well next winter season will be my second season of wrestling, and first year went very well. It could be better, however.

What are some good workouts, eating habits, etc. to improve my body for wrestling?

I'm 16, 5'11", 164 LBS and I'de guess anywhere from 10-14% BF. I will most likely be wrestling varsity next year. 152+ are very competetive weight classes so I will most likely fall between 135-152 weight class. Also, can I effectively go down to 135 without losing a sugnificant amount of muscle?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

At 10-14% bf and 164, you'd lost a significant amount of muscle going to 135 like that. Especially with the sort of wrestleing workouts you'll be sure to experience. At my hs, wrestleing practice is akin to marine corps bootcamp, I **** you not. So don't worry too much about weight right now, just don't put on any fat, stay active (running, recreational sports) and stay away from the junk food, for God's sake.

Also, DO NOT drink regular pop during the off season. That **** will put weight on you faster than fat accumulates on a married woman's ass. Diet pop on the off season is ok. But non pop at all during season, cardinal rule.

There are tons of camps everywhere, your coach will know how to get you in touch with them, go. I never went, and regret it because of the good times the team had but also because you got to hear from some really knowledgable people. Take advantage, be comitted.

Another thing: You WILL NOT gain any muscle at all during the wrestleing season. Trust me, I dont' want to have to go into the science of it all because that tends to get me off on a tangent. You will in fact be losing muscle if anything. So try to gain the muscle right now, lift weights (tons of **** about that around here, I won't write one right now) Keep it basic, but rigorous and consistent. Always consistent. Another cardinal rule about life in general. There's a famous saying: Consistency breeds success. Very true.

To summarize: Lift hard, stay active, try to gain muscle, diet pop only and during off season, don't gain any fat, other than the fat part, don't worry too much about weight right now. You want to get more muscular right now, because in season you will be weaker. Trust me. The weight WILL come down rapidly and in chunks when the season starts.

Good luck.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Wannabebig Member
    Hmm, no soda >< I'm at my uncles and hese got a mini fridge full of the stuff and my mom deprives me of it... gah I can do without it, gives me too much acne >:O

Yeah I know about that... I lost 10 pounds in the first day of practice and 23 pounds throughout the season last year.

Do I want to focus on endurance training, or strength training... or both?

EDIT: And is soda really that bad for the body? Aside from the fat I mean.
    Last edited by leafy2; 06-14-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Dr. Bodybuilder
    Soda is 9 times more acidic(Ph) than your body.
    Freshmen at Baylor College of Medicine
    Current status: Bulking

Personally I'd focus on strength training, since you won't be able to do it in season. Strength built up during the off season will dimish somewhat in season because of all the cortisol you will produce from the intense cardio practices in season. That's ok, as long as you built it up decently in the off season. So find a routine on here, and build it up son. Run some this summer too, but nothing crazy.

Yes, pop is terrible for performance in athletes. A tip would be BUY your friends pop before practices and watch how much better you perform when fueled by milk and water. No comparison. Or you could just not drink it at all during the season and notice how much better you are than last year.

Basically, I learned this from coaches and experience in wrestleing and football and lifting. Pop is bad.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

TeamVILE
    lifting is really important to rassling but at your level (if you have not been in camps since you were little) you need to focus on rassling. timing and technique. you could work the entire off season and make huge gains in yoru technique. strength and all that are critical but technique is much more important.

and make sure you lift the right way. dont lift like a body builder. and motion drills and body weight drills work well to keep your flexibility and speed on the ground.

Wannabebig Member
    i just got my fat checked yesterday and its 11.5-12.5% man its going to be hard even if i go down to 152 i will lose muscle, damn! ive got a little under 20 pounds of muscle since february ... 152+ is very competetive grr

my uncle might be hooking me up with a trainer... buit its $700 for 10 sessions! he said he would hook me up with ways to help me explode for moves like shoots, and help with endurance, strength, and core. hmm i dont know... im skeptical

should i do it?
    Last edited by leafy2; 06-20-2007 at 07:35 AM.

Watchya talkn bout willis
    152+ is the highest division you have? if I were you i'd add on the pounds and dominate that division.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Wannabebig Member
    no i meant 152 and above divisions are the most competetive imo, most of the team captains are in those weight classes. our highest is heavy weight (225-250)

Watchya talkn bout willis
    gotchya
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Wannabebig New Member Zolnierowski's Avatar
    What about the 160 class?

rum soaked derelict
    J Robbinsons summer camp

not too sure if its too late to sign up yet. But its worth looking into. I never went, but teammates did and it was kind of a big deal.

I would say bulk up as much as you can and try to get as strong as you can until the season starts. Then cut to 152. If you cut down to 135 you would loose tons of strength. 152 boys are pretty big though.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Quote Originally Posted by leafy2 View Post
    i just got my fat checked yesterday and its 11.5-12.5% man its going to be hard even if i go down to 152 i will lose muscle, damn! ive got a little under 20 pounds of muscle since february ... 152+ is very competetive grr

my uncle might be hooking me up with a trainer... buit its $700 for 10 sessions! he said he would hook me up with ways to help me explode for moves like shoots, and help with endurance, strength, and core. hmm i dont know... im skeptical

should i do it?
    um 700$? are you kidding me. do you like your coach? your coach and team captains should be helping you with all of that stuff. I learned alot more my second year of wrestling from the better wrestlers, than i ever did from my coach. Just wrestle the best people on your team over and over, you will learn fast.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

J Rob. that'll sovle all your problems. it cost a couple grand but youll also live there.
    5'11"
    185lbs

Wannabebig Member
    i gained muscle during wrestling season at the begining i was benching 145 and jumped to 160 bench

W.I.T
    First of all, I would suggest running cross country in the fall- that will take weight right off, as well as kick your metabolism into high gear.

I would suggest doing the CrossFit workout of the day in the fall instead of Cross Country. That will do a lot more for everything.

I would focus a lot on deadlifts and power cleans, and do some form of Westside the rest of the year.

God, I wish in 8th-9th grade I understood what I do now about fitness and athletics.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 01-06-2008 at 08:34 PM.